First Time Hi-Skor 700-X

markr6754

So I missed a chance to discuss the merits of Hi-Skor 700- X when I stopped at a LGS and bought a big jug of it. I normally do research first, gathering information, and then making a test purchase of a 1 lb (14 oz) bottle. In this, get what’s available, environment I cut straight to the happy place of buying 8 lbs, the best value quantity.

Jumping ahead....

Took my 700-X loads out to the range today. Both 9mm and 40 S&W rounds shot well. Somehow I got it right on the first try. That usually doesn’t happen and I’m back with my notes reworking powder or seating depth. Even though I made up 3 rungs in each ladder, I could shoot any of the three and be happy. So I guess that means I’ll reload the highest charge of the three and test it in every gun I have. Generally speaking, if something fires well in my Honor Guard 9, it’ll be too harsh for my Kimber Micro 9. Same with my Beretta PX4 Storm/Springfield EMP 40 S&W loads. In this case, despite having 3 nines with me, I did my testing with the Kimber Micro 9. I also took the PX4 to shoot the 40s.

Impressions...very economical powder. Loads are quite small, and everything fired nicely. Cases were dirty...but not any worse than other powders I shoot. More importantly, my hands we’re still clean after the shooting session, including recovering my fired brass. One item I did note...the cases are hotter than any other powder I load, and they retained heat longer as well. It’s a bit early to make any decision, but early impressions are quite favorable.

Side note...got a wild hair on Sunday and elected to load some 38 Spl and 45 ACP loads with this 700-X, but I did it with my Hornady Powder dropper. I was prepared to chuck that and break out the FA Intellidropper. That proved unnecessary, as this powder dropped within specs each time. Charges weren’t as accurate as my electronic dispenser, but probably more accurate than I could notice in shooting. Of course that remains to be seen as I haven’t shot any of them...but mid-session checks and the powder was still within tolerances. So while I prefer loading with my FA Intellidropper, if I need to crank out some rounds in a hurry, my powder dropper will do just fine. This powder is NOTHING like Universal!

TruthTellers

I just made an order for some Hodgdon powders I've never tried before, but seem to be used in multiple calibers and 700-X is one of them. Seems to be a less energetic powder, but that's perfect for .32, .38, and .45. With how Unique is completely unavailable and I'm nearly out of it, I decided to grab a pound of 700-X and look forward to using it in .45 the most.

jetinteriorguy

Clays and 700-X are my go to powders for 9mm and .38sp. I give a slight nod to Clays, it seems to have more of a push in recoil whereas 700-X is just a tad snappier.

Nathan

Well my warning about how bad it metered for me from my Hornady powder measure seems meaningless. Glad it worked for you.

Dave P

"1 lb (14 oz) bottle."

Did some one change the rules? I thought 1 lb was 16 oz. In North America, at least.

markr6754

"1 lb (14 oz) bottle."

Did some one change the rules? I thought 1 lb was 16 oz. In North America, at least.
No...it was my way of indicating that this powder comes in the same bottles and jugs as other Hodgdon powders, but in the 1 lb size bottle it only holds 14oz, same as TiteWad, Clays, and International. Looks pretty fluffy. The 4lb and 8lb jugs are full weight.

markr6754

Well my warning about how bad it metered for me from my Hornady powder measure seems meaningless. Glad it worked for you.
Yeah...lucky I guess. I read quite a few warnings which was why I was apprehensive to try it in a dropper. Another loader suggested I get the powder well settled in my hopper, then give it a go. While another says to strap a vibrating motor, like a aquarium air pump to get the powder settled.

I took a bulb “turkey baster” and tapped the hopper and rotor thoroughly with the bulb end until there was no further settling of the powder. It dropped charges nicely. Some may have been off by .05 to .10 gr, but I was fine with that due to the mid-range loads. However, I haven’t shot those cartridges yet. The 9mm and 40 S&W rounds were made up with my extremely accurate Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I double checked throughout the session with my most accurate digital scale (to 0.02gr).

jetinteriorguy

I spray the internals on my Lee powder measures with graphite and they all work very good. This is with the PPM, deluxe PPM, Auto Drum, and Pro Disc.

mikejonestkd

Mark, I am glad that you are getting good results with 700X. I, on the other hand, had erratic results with it during the last reloading component shortage. The only squibs I have ever had were from 700X bridging my lee auto disk powder measure.
Its one of the last powders I would use in a pinch.

markr6754

Mark, I am glad that you are getting good results with 700X. I, on the other hand, had erratic results with it during the last reloading component shortage. The only squibs I have ever had were from 700X bridging my lee auto disk powder measure.
Honestly, I was totally surprised at how well it metered. My FA Intellidropper doesn't skip a beat. I perform the Powder Calibration function with every powder change, and this has been key to near perfect loading. All of the Under or Over weight charges (it alarms on either) have been well within powder drop specs (<0.1gr).
It was my Hornady LnL Powder Measure that I was concerned about, due to previous unworkable challenges with Hodgdon Universal. I only tried 700-X in that measure on a whim after hearing from so many that had issues. Of course, single-stage loading helps reduce the risk of squibs.
In the end, I'm not declaring victory, just sharing positive results from one shooting outing with a powder that I never see on forums...and now folks are responding like rediscovering a long lost lover. Kinda exciting to rekindle old flames. Moreover, it was pretty cheap, so I'm happy. Even a maximum charge in 357 Magnum will only cost 2 cents. (course that's fairly common with pistol loads.)

jetinteriorguy

Try it in an AutoDrum if you have one. 700-X works great in mine.

mikejonestkd

Thanks for the positive suggestions on using 700X.
However, once bitten, twice shy for me.
Plus I have enough pistol powder to last a decade. No chance of ever needing 700X again.

jetinteriorguy

I hear ya, I have the same thing with Titegroup. After an incident with Titegroup I traded all mine for Power Pistol, now after using it I have about 9-10 pounds I’m not sure how I’m going to use. But I still have a bunch of 700-X and Clays so I’m set for a while.

1MoreFord

Back when I was playing IPSC I experimented with 700X for a while.

My Dillon powder measure absolutely hated the stuff. Surprised I didn't blow a gun up it metered so badly.

markr6754

Its a good powder, just doesn't meter well for me with small charges.
I’m using the Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. It’s spot on with charges, dispenses faster than I can prep cases. Single stage press...in fact, I just added the FA M Press. Similar to Forster but 1/4 the cost...with trade-offs...proprietary die blocks.

Very nice combination. But progressive loaders would go nuts...