first time at a gun range

towncarblue

i moved to ohio recently and bought a glock 19 as well as a desert eagle micro.
i am a complete newbee to firearms.

i only took the glock 19[laser max installed] to the range and i did terrible. i kept missing my target by a huge margin [6" in all directions]. i got better when i pulled the trigger halfway then aimed , but i couldnt hold the glock straight as i fired[i think its called recoil?]
i went ahead and rented a bersa thunder .380 limited edition. i did alot better with that firearm , i was pretty close to my intended target , the recoil was a good amount less for me, i could fire alot more rounds while staying close to my target.
right now as a self defense for me i need to choose myself another firearm[glock was my primary self defense weapon] until i get better with the glock

the bersa thunder .380 that i fired had a trigger pull as a revolver has when the hammer is pulled back [very short trigger pull] do all versions of that firearm do that or is that a limited edition only feature?
the gun store had a bersa thunder .380 for sale that had double capacity 15+1 , would that firearm shoot as good as the smaller capacity .380?
are there any .380 that have the size of the glock ? i figure that a longer barrel / bigger gun has more accuracy :confused:
im looking for a low recoil .380 that is also very accurate, post suggestions under $850 :eek:

Evan Thomas

You need lessons, not more stuff.

If your range has rentals, they can probably put you in touch with an instructor. Ask.
:)

greyson97

wow you are all over the place.

my recommendation, since you already got it, is to practice with your glock 19. buy as much cheap 9mm as you can. also get some snap caps for your gun

next is to learn the shooting fundamentals. Stance, Grip, targeting. turn off that laser.

read articles on improving your handgun accuracy.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365263

theres a good start.
and generally, you want to start off with a bigger gun. it has a longer sight radius which increases your accuracy potental, and its heavier to absorb recoil.

also, dry firing your gun a lot is recommended. just stand up, and train your sights on something, and hold it there as long as possible with out the gun shaking. see how long you can do it

and then see if you can pull the trigger without the sights moving

Evan Thomas

"Under $850" will buy a LOT of quality instruction. No one is born knowing how to do this. That's what training is for.
:)

golfnutrlv

Train, train , train!! Its essential. Get the fundamentals down, then practice a lot!!! If you are going to use a firearm for self defense, you must be proficient enough to trust yout life to it. Bottom line.

Plus, good training=better shooting=more value for every round shot="more bang for your buck" (Forgive the pun):D

Kyo

what about your micro desert eagle?:confused:
take that 800 bucks, go get into reloading, and practice till your hands have callouses! no im just kidding.
But put it this way, back in the day I sucked at playing orchestra, because i was a newbie. I practiced till my hands were like leather. and it was worth it cause thats how you get people to pay for your college(my friend got a full ride at a music school) with anything.
So, I say practice till you hate your gun :) then you will love if because you will be on target. Also, have the sights checked/adjusted. and don't rely on lasers

IanS

Practice dry firing at home with your G19. Make sure there's no live rounds in the room, make sure the chamber and mag is empty.
- Focus on the front sight throughout the trigger press. Target and rear sight should be blurry.
- Don't think about the target or about the way the trigger feels or breaks. Think of the trigger press as pushing a syringe.
- Dont' lose contact with the trigger. Don't slap trigger
- Pull slide back just enough to reset trigger and repeat, repeat, repeat.
- Forget the laser until you've gained some skill with your trigger press and sights.

Try to find a range that rents a .22 lr auto pistol. Its cheap to shoot and practicing with it will help you to engrain proper trigger control without worrying about recoil, noise, or blast.

When you're ready to shoot your G19 again get a standard bullseye target and set the target out to 3 or 5 yards. Try to make all shots "in the black". Take your time. You'll get there.

Last edited:

iluvlabs1

Towncarblue,

Chill...relax...tale a deep breath...

You are where we once were, the first time we handled a firearm.

All things will eventually come to you....just take your time...and learn something each time you go out to shoot.

It's too easy to get muddled in the 'expertise' of folks who respond on this or any other forum.

Take your time, think a lot, make your choices and don't look back.

greyson97

i forgot who said this, but DO NOT get those shoot and see's, the ones that allow you to see your shots from far away. they say those disrupt your accuracy cause you break form to check your target after every shot. (peeking over your sights)

its best to get a target you cant see your shots without being next to them or using a scope.

when you shoot, just focus on your front sight being aligned with the back sight and it being over the target, and reiterating, stance, grip, sight alignment, and consistency of trigger pull, as well as rhythm.

IanS

i forgot who said this, but DO NOT get those shoot and see's, the ones that allow you to see your shots from far away. they say those disrupt your accuracy cause you break form to check your target after every shot. (peeking over your sights)

Yeah, those things are the devil. Instead of the shooter keeping focus on the front sight they're anticipating looking up and hence no follow through. I guess for point shooting (not using sights at all) they'd be good.

dakota223

I got your 200 dollar fix! 150 for a ccw class/ this gives you the basic nra pistol corse the instructors will help you! They take women who have never shot before and get them shooting pie plates at 7 yrds. Which is all you really need in a defensive situation. Then you have 50 left over for the bar tab cause it sounds like you need to relax! And never rely on that laser! The moment you need it and it goes dead is the last time youll be able to use it. Instinctive Shooting is allways better than relying on mechanical devices!

MrBorland

Well, I was going to chime in, but apparently I already did (link within post #4) :D

I agree with others that some instruction would be helpful. And, IMO, ditch the laser until the fundamentals are burned into your subconscious. In the meantime, learn to watch the front sight and pull the trigger without flinching or jerking.

i forgot who said this, but DO NOT get those shoot and see's,

Well, I know I've said it before:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5345492&postcount=22

Shadi Khalil

The Glock you have is a fine weapon, just give it time. As for that micro DE, I'd put it down till you get the hang of the 19. You could wind up devolping a flinch from the muzzle flip and recoil of the MDE

ThomasPaine

as someone has already said: train train train...

SF units like the SEALS are not the best because they have fired 10,000+ rds a week, they are the best because they keep firing 10,000+ rds a week

Camaro81

My progression when I am target shooting. -Stance, Grip, Breathing, Sight Picture, Trigger Squeeze.

I consciously try to think of each one for every shot when I start shooting. And one of the best training tactics I ever used was having an instructor load some dummy ammo into my mags and I didn't know where they were....it'll show you real quick if your slapping the trigger or anticipating the recoil. Every shot should be a surprise.

Buzzcook

It's possible that the Glock 19 isn't the gun for you. The odd though tend to be that you need some instruction. Start with a basic pistol course and go on from there.
If you feel the need to buy another gun, it should be a .22 caliber. Cheap ammo means you can practice more and everything you learn with a .22 can be applied to a centerfire.

DasFriek

Someone can tell me if im way off here.
But i would have a talk with the guys at the range,explain your new and would like some help.Offer a dinner afterwards or a few beers after the guns are put away,mabey even a few cigars.
Most gun lovers i seen usually jump to help people who are new,im sure they may not invest over a few hours but im sure you can learn enough from them to know what to practice on.
Also you have the micro eagle wich is a .380 already,and honesly i dont see much recoil differance between that and 9mm once proper grip and trigger work is practiced.
Then again the NRA basic course for the concealed permit would serve 2 purposes and not be overly expensive.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
A little instruction will go a long way and in the long run save you a huge amount of money in wasted practice ammunition and the time, money and ammunition it will cost you down the road to break a bunch of bad habits. There is really no good substitute for having a qualified instructor watch you and coach you based on what he sees.

If someone is offering an NRA Basic Handgun class, that would be a great place to start. It will give you the foundation you need to be able to begin effective practice on your own.

Practice is good, but only if you are practicing the right things. If you are practicing the wrong things, you're just accumulating bad habits. Instruction is about teaching you the right things so that you can practice those.

Alleykat

Can't imagine why anybody'd install a laser on his first handgun! Forget the laser, until you learn to shoot. With the Glock, stage the first trigger pull, as you mentioned, but hold the trigger back after the first shot and slowly release your trigger finger on subsequent shots, until you feel the trigger "click" and reset. Make rest of your shots from that reset position.

Make sure you understand proper grip and stance. Can't emphasize that enough. Make sure you put a few thousand rounds downrange. Can't emphasize that enough. Did I mention 86ing the cat aggravator? :cool: