first time .223/5.56 reloader

308Loader

Hi again everyone. so I started reloading last spring for my .308 bolt gun. It's been a good time. Looking to start loading for my Olympic arms AR chambered in 5.56, 16in heavy barrel. Do the case volumes fluctuate as much as .308 brass from head stamp to stamp? Anyone have a good recipe with wsr primer, imr4895, and 52 gr bthp. I have 3 different batches of cases to choose from, new rem .223 brass, twice shot lc 5.56 brass, or big bag of mixed range brass. The combo of 52 gr bullets and imr4895 isn't listed in the books I have. I only see 4895 with the 60+gr projectiles. Do I need to switch powders or shoot heavier bullets?

P-990

Welcome to the .223!

First off, case volume: yes, varies quite a bit. I usually gloss over anything that says "military 5.56 brass has less case volume than commercial .223 brass" as a blanket statement. This is not a hard and fast rule! I ran tons of 1999-2001 vintage Lake City brass when I was actively competing in Highpower specifically because it held the most powder and was pretty tough. :eek: You'll want to work up accuracy loads near max with matching brass. For "bulk" FMJ ammo for my carbine, I worked up a load with the heaviest brass I have, knowing I was going to use mixed-head stamps and range pick-ups. (Accuracy is pretty much only in the "usable" range, but if it will hold a 10" plate at 200 every time, we're good.)

Next, 4895 is perfectly suitable. I don't think it's going to give the max possible velocity, but it should give you excellent accuracy. My suggestion is to look for data for a 55gr FMJ or Ballistic Tip bullet and use the starting load. I've used Hodgdon H4895 for 55gr FMJ and 69, 77, 75 and 80 grain match bullets, all with good results. There's no reason IMR-4895 shouldn't work as well.

steve4102

First off, case volume: yes, varies quite a bit. I usually gloss over anything that says "military 5.56 brass has less case volume than commercial .223 brass" as a blanket statement. This is not a hard and fast rule!

Not only is it not a hard and fast rule it is not a rule at all. In fact most 5.56 brass has More case capacity the civilian 223 brass.

{please read board policy on posting copyrighted material.)

If you are concerned about case capacity there is only one way to find out. That is to test your different brands of brass in grain of H20.
Weighing them will only tell you how much they weigh, it will not tell you anything about case capacity. Note, case capacity vs weight in the first chart.

Last edited by a moderator:

lamarw

I will start reloading 5.56/.223 in the next week or two myself. I am waiting on dies, turret, brass, bullets and small rifle primers. All this stuff is on its way.

I happened to have almost 8 lbs. of IMR-4895 on hand. I will be using it instead of searching on-line and the far away stores for a different powder.

Lyman's calls for 23.0 grains of IMR-4895 with the 52 gr. Jacketed HPBT and a not to exceed of 26.5 grains. Velocities are shown as 2538 & 3086 FPS respectively.

I have ordered 55 gr. Sierra bullets.

I guesstimate the savings of about forty cents a round with reloading over new ammo. for the 5.56/.223.

Good luck and enjoy. :)

Panfisher

Hodgdons website shows a starting load for 53 grain bullet of, 24.5 grains of IMR 4895 at 3,238 fps and 43,900 PSI. Max of 26.4 C of IMR 4895 at 3,230 fps and 52,300 PSI.

I have loaded several 55 grainers with IMR 4895 and had great results for accuracy, am switching to H335 since I am having trouble finding IMR 4895 and wish to keep what I have for other calibers.

T. O'Heir

"...combo of 52 gr bullets and..." 50 or 53 grain data from Hodgdon's site is close enough. A grain or two won't matter. Load differences are in tenths anyway.
You'll note the case capacities are very close too. Not really something to worry about.
"...reloading last spring for my .308 bolt gun..." Only difference in technique is you must FL resize every time, check case lengths(trim, chamfer and deburr as required) and watch the OAL for a semi. Everything else is the same.

balderclev

I use LC 556 brass exclusively. Worded up a load and never had a problem. Getting .75" at 100 yds consistently with no issues.

Metal god

I worked up a load for a buddy's CZ bolt gun in 223 .

Shoots 1 moa @100

52gr smk
25.5gr IMR-4895
Winchester case
CCI #400 sr primer

I only put that out there because IMR 4895 is my go to 223 and 5.56 powder . That 25.5gr matches or close to it my good AR loads using 55gr bullets

55gr Hornady FMJ-BT
25gr IMR 4895
LC 10 through 13 brass
CCI #400 sr primers

55gr Winchester FMJ-BT
25.5gr IMR 4895
LC 10 through 13 brass
CCI #400 sr primers

You should always work up from minimum charges but I've seen a pattern that 25gr-ish of IMR 4895 in the low to mid 50gr bullet weights seem to do well in multiple rifles

9MMand223only

IMR4895 with those light bullets will probably like from 25.5 grains to 27 grains.

I personally think it will be near the best MAYBE around 26.5 grains at COAL of 2.250 with a 52 grain bullet.

The case will be pretty full. IMR4895 likes it compressed a bit.