First Straight with a pump and sub-gauge today!!

Today, I shot my first straight with a pump on the skeet field.. Killed two birds with one stone as I happened to be shooting a 20 gauge Winchester 1300. I've shot straights with a 12 gauge O/U, but never with a 20 gauge or a pump for that matter.. I've shot more 24s with a 20 gauge and with pumps than I care to admit.. It felt good to get the monkey off my back.. :D Beware of the pawnshop Winchester 1300!!!

It helped that Dreaming100Straight was present.. The new stock setup on his Citori is very nice!!!

He really was hot with that thing, which looked really good for a pawn shop gun. It looked new. I didn't realize it was a 20, until after I told him to drop down to one to give himself a challenge.:rolleyes: When I found out it was a 20 I told him to shoot a 28.:eek:

So far I really like the adjustable comb, but I still have to keep the gun moving.:( It worked slick going from trap to skeet. All I did was drop the comb all the way down and my trap gun was a skeet gun.

g.willikers

The gun really is the least of it.
There's a fellow at our local club that does very well with a youth sized pump .410 on the skeet range.
It's his kid's gun he brings once in awhile, just for fun.

BigJimP

Well done .300.....

( but I hope you realize - in Skeet - by rule / if you break a pair with one shot.../ then you have to shoot the pair again ( with the first bird established as dead ) ...

load 2 shells - call for the pair again...make an honest attempt to kill the first bird ...and then swing and kill the 2nd. Then, if you hit the 2nd bird this time, its a dead pair...even if you miss the first bird when you shoot it a 2nd time on the "proof doubles"...
----------
sporting clays is different ...you can kill 2 birds with one shell ...and get credit for 2 kills.

zippy13

Well done!!

As Jim said, two birds with one stone doesn't count in NSSA skeet. I've seen shooters count it in a practice round because they didn't have any "proof" rounds.

Keep up the good work. It's days like this that keep you coming back to the Skeet fields. (Did Dreaming buy you lunch?) ;)

dalecooper51

Well done. Shooting a pump well is fun.

I think what he meant by 2 birds with one stone is a pump and sub-gauge rather than two clays with one shot which you would have to re-shoot as described above.

He only did it to mess with the little mind I have, but I wasn't going to tell him that two in one is no good. I believe he meant that he hit the doubles with one shot. I still suck worse at skeet than trap, and that is saying something, but he and his pops are good guys to shoot with and learn from. No, now that I see what Dale is saying I think it was a clean 25

Actually, the rat expected that I would be there with my new AC and he just had to show what he could do with a pawn shop pump. He also shoots my 870 Express pretty well.

Last edited:
The two stones I refer to are:

A. First Straight with a Pump

B. First Straight with a 20 gauge

I did not break any of the doubles with one shot... :)

Well done. Shooting a pump well is fun.

I think what he meant by 2 birds with one stone is a pump and sub-gauge rather than two clays with one shot which you would have to re-shoot as described above.

EXACTLY :D

Well done!!

As Jim said, two birds with one stone doesn't count in NSSA skeet. I've seen shooters count it in a practice round because they didn't have any "proof" rounds.

Keep up the good work. It's days like this that keep you coming back to the Skeet fields. (Did Dreaming buy you lunch?)

Zippy,

My Father, .340 Wby is former competitive NSSA shooter and when I shoot with him, if I hit the double with one shot, I re-shoot it.. There are no two for one deals when you shoot with him..

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
It is kind of funny though that doing something that's much harder than doing it "right" is counted as "wrong" and you have to do the much easier thing before it counts.

They should have a special award for 25 straight with all doubles hit with 1 shot. :D That last double would be tricky. ;)

Bake

Well done! Now its time to do it again, but with a nice Winchester Model 42 (if you can find one:))