First Squib......

dean1818

Had a first at the range yesterday....

After many thousands of rounds downrange..... I had a squib.
(It wasn't one of my reloads)

I had some older JHP ammo (5 years) that I gave been using as my carry ammo

I shot a string, and one shot sounded funny.

I decided to check......

I am glad that I did...... I disassembled the gun and yes........

There was a bullet lodged 3/4 inch into the barrel

The powder didn't ignite.

I used a brass punch when I got home and it's all good to go.

I am not sure what happened, but I think I will rotate my carry ammo a bit more

I also thank the VERY good Lord, that I have all my fingers today

It could have been bad......

HALO51

Nice attentive shooting. Hopefully people will read your post and learn from your experience about what to expect from the unexpected when shooting. Shooting into a lodged bullet in the chamber wouldn't be a good experience. Being an experienced shooter and knowing your equipment and familiarity paid off.

stagpanther

Wow! that's scary. Glad to hear all is well. Amazing that the powder didn't ignite at all yet the primer did it's job apparently by driving the bullet and powder into the bore. lesson learned. Would be kinda interesting to know if other ammo in the same lot was also defunct or if that was a freak load. I can't help but wonder what would happen to a competition shooter who can empty a whole mag in a second or two! :eek:

dean1818

I actually had another round from this group that hit paper, but didn't sound right either

I almost never shoot the JHP for range work

I usually just shoot my reloaded cast.

I wonder if they weren't properly sealed and moisture entered

TunnelRat

What you demonstrate here is that it is likely a good idea to shoot out your carry ammo and buy fresh every so often. How often is the question.

g.willikers

A mere five years is not considered old for ammo.
Betcha' the errant round didn't get that way from age, but was bad the day it was loaded at the factory.

Snyper

It takes a .001 gap for capillary action to happen

I would think the powder was contaminated somehow when the round was loaded, or possibly oil got in around the primer

allan223

Yeah I had a squib one time when I was shooting my Springfield XD 45 ACP. They were my reloads, and when I shoot 45 ACP I usually use lead bullets. That taught me to be more aware whenever I have a malfunction. Luckily the squib wasn't too deep and it didn't chamber a round. Not really sure what caused it. I will say I probably don't use the best primers in the world, but I have only had one squib. The primers I use are Wolf primers.

Anyone interested in AR 500 steel targets should click this link https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?___store=default&ref=blJPdm8yQW1XbXc9 and register to receive $10 in store credit. I have purchased all my targets from there and they work great.

g.willikers

If the moisture wasn't in the round at the time it was loaded, it's purty hard for moisture to enter afterwards.
I've inadvertently run many a hand loaded round through the washing machine without harm.
They always fired just fine.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Five years is normally nowhere near enough time for either primers or powder to go bad under proper storage. I think you should review your ammo storage conditions and/or loading procedures for possible errors.

Jim

Wreck-n-Crew

Yeah those should not go bad after only 5 years.

Progressive reloading is as accurate as a single stage if done right so I never blame the press but the process for any failures I have ever had. Yet I still reload any SD type ammo by weighing each charge. I also hand prime them.

I agree check the process and verify that the flash hole is free from obstruction, The powder charge is correctly weighed, the primer is fully seated, and that the bullet has a proper neck tension.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If the bullets had been other than jacketed, I would be inclined to think of bullet lube contaminating the powder charge.

Jim

jaytothekizzay

Cosidering there is still many rounds of Cold War era surplus ammo still being used around the globe... 5 year old ammo should be gtg. With that being said I recently started cycling my defense ammo more often. Decided on once a year.

skizzums

Hornady has had some real problems with squibs
I have only heard of this with the 17HMR ammo a good ways back. I have never experienced a squib with an hornaday round despite bein about all I ever use. if you can show me examples of this, maybe i'll change my mind. can I ask the OP what kind of ammo being used? although this is a squib, it's not the usual definition of missing powder

Skans

I HATE squibs! I eagerly await the day when someone invents a device that can detect a squib before its ignited in one of my chambers. Or, at the very least, keep it from dislodging the barrel from the shell.

Noreaster

The only squib I ever had was with duty ammo that was about five years old. One round out of many thousands (Winchester.) Don't know if it applies but the game wardens in my State have banned the use of WD-40 after having squibs and or failure to ignite. Apparently WD-40 can penetrate in and get to the powder or primer.

North Bender

I have only heard of this with the 17HMR ammo a good ways back. I have never experienced a squib with an hornaday round despite bein about all I ever use. if you can show me examples of this, maybe i'll change my mind. can I ask the OP what kind of ammo being used? although this is a squib, it's not the usual definition of missing powder

The Makarov forum has many instances of Hornady squibs in 9x18. When I had one I sent the box in to them for replacement and they wrote that a powder bridge had developed that caused it. Since the OP won't state what kind of ammo he used this thread is a bit uninformative.