First Shotgun @ Range

ArachnoSoldier

Well, yesterday i picked up my Benelli SuperNova (tactical 18'') smooth bore, no choke. I want to break it in before I hand it over to my wife, so I'm taking it to the range today. Is it normal for shooters to bring their HD shotguns? Besides adjusting the rear sight left to right there isnt much I can do. I guess my question is what should I be trying to achieve today with my shoutgun?

Smitty in CT

Congrats on the SuperNova!!

18" shotguns aren't uncommon at the ranges, don't worry.

Bring your wife with you, you'll have a great time, it'll be a lot more fun with her.

You'll want to start with some 2-3/4" shells, either "target" or "low-recoil" shells. You can buy these just about anywhere, even Wal-Mart. After you become proficient using the "light loads" you can work up to the heavier stuff. The main thing that you are trying to do is to make sure your wife is comfortable shooting the weapon, practice and train, that way if there is ever a situation that arrises, she won't be "affraid" to use the gun and therfore more likely to hit the intended target.

Unless the gun you bought is a "turkey" model the rear sights probably aren't adjustable, you don't want to "AIM" the shotgun anyway, you want to "POINT" it. Since you have a CYLINDER BORE with no choke tube so you will want to practice shooting at targets in the 15 - 25 yard range. Check with the range, tell them you want to practice on stationary targets first and they will put you on the right range.

Good luck with your new shotgun, enjoy and let us know how you and your wife do.

rugerdude

Skeet is always fun with stubbies!

It will also show you the futility of sights, and this whole aiming buisness that riflemen and pistol shooter do....pshhhh...aiming! HA!

ArachnoSoldier

what a blast

Thanks, I had a great time today. I went to Buffalo Rock, Illinois for those who know the area. My wife decided that getting her nails done was more important that shooting, so I left without her. I'll bring her next time. First I tightened up my shot group with my 300 win mag Remington 700. After that I headed over to the pit with the Benelli . I used Winchester AA 2 3/4 Light loads and blasted away at old Frosty the Snowman decorations and clays that were still intact on the ground. I wish I had brought some clays to see what I could hit in the air. But somehow Frosty and friends managed to eat 50 shells in no time.

skeeter1

Skeet is always fun with stubbies!

Agreed. Much better than going to a trap range. With a cylinder-bore, you'd be unlikely to break anything. Besides, those snobby trapshooters (yeah, I'm one of them) don't take kindly to people trying tactical guns on the traprange.

Since you're intending it as a HD firearm, you'd do well to try patterning it at a reasonable distance (<20yds) with some #4 buckshot and make sure it's shooting POI.

Sgt.Fathead

It's Ice!

Arachno, if you can get one, bring the wife to 'the pit' and let her blast a few at a large chunk of ice. Ice makes a great target; it melts away and leaves no mess and it's great for a new shotty shooter to see the 'displacement' of different shells on it. Slugs, 00, bird shot and more. It's a blast!

Whatever you do, take care of your shoes...