First shotgun purchase, total noob

Kevin_d77

Bought my first shotgun, pistol grip Mossberg 500 Persuader. Holds 8+1. It was on sale for299 and I had a 150 gift card so I walked out with it for 168, not too bad! Now my questions: anyone know of a good aftermarket stock? And what would be the best defense round? Like I said before, my first shotgun purchase and I know next to nothing about them BUT I can't wait to get a stock, grab some ammo and get some trigger time! Thanks as usual for the advice!

idek

You might look at the short length of pull Hogue stock. It's popular for defensive shotguns.

As for ammo, conventional wisdom is that large buckshot (00 or #1) is most effective as stopping an intruder/assailant. But people who worry about pellets over-penetrating or stray pellets carrying too far might choose smaller #4 buckshot or or even birdshot. I personally would not use birdshot for defense ammo, but that's one opinion.

theblakester

Assuming you mean defensive as in Home defense, aka short range (15 yds or less), I believe Federal recently came out with a reduced recoil #1 buck (#1 buck makes a bigger wound channel than 00) w/ flight control wad.

droptrd

Yeah Ive never been able to pattern buck all that well. To me, 4 shot with a full choke is devestating. Patterns in a 6" circle. Pretty wicked for HD. But the persuader has a fixed cylinder choke. This is were you want to try loads such as what theblakester recommended

Kevin_d77

Thanks for all of the great info! I am a handgun guy for sure so just looking at all of the ammo choices was pretty crazy to me. 2-1/2", 3", 00, buckshot.....geez.....I'm used to 165 or 180gr numbers! I will definitely look into the stocks suggested as well. Anyone have any good sites for me to read up on (besides here obviously), I love to be well informed about all of my purchases and this new beast is no exception!

idek

#1 buck makes a bigger wound channel than 00
Perhaps you mean collectively they make a bigger wound channel? 00 pellets are actually larger. A standard 00 load has 9 pellets. A standard #1 load has 15. Many experts (whoever they are) believe #1 offers the best combination of penetration and pellet count.

And just for further comparison, Federal's #4 buck has 34 pellets.

As others have indicated. Buckshot tends to pattern more tightly in open chokes while birdshot patterns tighter in more constricted chokes.

Regarding ammo selection, the Box of Truth website has some interesting stuff regarding penetration and patterns.

Maybe check out the ShotgunWorld Tactical forum for more thoughts on stocks or anything else related to defensive shotguns.