First rounds from the Accuracy International AW50

Zak Smith

The first time I saw the Accuracy International AW50 in person was at the 2005 TACPRO Sniper Tournament, where we shot the TACPRO demo gun with and without the suppressor and as part of one of the stages.

............... Larger version of above photo.

I've owned several 50's in the past, and recently (last year) did a review of a bunch of the "budget" models, and shot most of the rest that are available on the market.

D462_5116_img_icon.jpg

article | Battle of the Budget .50 BMG Rifles

The AW50 is a heavy beast, but it is immediately apparent that it's a well-thought out weapons "system", not something simply scaled up or cobbled together for the hobbyist to shoot .50.

The bolt is huge, but arranged so a right-handed shooter can run the bolt while staying on the gun. Ergonomics on a .50 are important simply to prevent bruising while shooting, and the AW50 gets this more or less right.

After getting a rough zero at 100 yards (using 5 rounds and one to chrono), the first long-range shot was on a 3' plate at 1350 yards, using data from the computer (10.6 mils). The impact was 6" or less off the plate. Not bad considering it was totally untested data and it included my wind call.

My friend makes the AW50 look almost the size of a normal rifle.

The "new" AI .50 BMW brake is more effective than the old one. This looks just like a scaled-up version of their "new" .338LM brake. It reduces recoil effectively and the muzzle blast isn't that bad compared to other .50 BMG brakes.

N00b_Shooter

Great Information, very nice rifle too, to bad i'll never be able to shoot one :(

What model scope is that? Schmidt and bender...???

Zak Smith

It's the S&B 5-25. It's more magnification/size than I like but its weight isn't issue on the 50 so I put it on there.

hardhit

Im just wheeling out the wheel Bara full of cash!

SWEET rifle though, Id love one but wouldn’t want to part with the cash.

N00b_Shooter

Wow, thats way more then i thought, i was thinking $10000 with the scope. what makes them so much? i read that the Unique Alpine TPG 1 will shoot better groups and that price makes it sound like your better of. I might be completely wrong so feel free to let me know if i am :)

hardhit

Accuracy International AW Arctic Warfare 308 win is listed as $4900 on impact gun’s site and I think that is just the base rifle no scope bipod or brake.

I haven't been out to Tac Pro in awhile...

Not to sidetrack the focus off the rifle, which is definitely nice; but whose .50 BMG can is that and how did you like it? Did you find it a big advantage on the .50?

Zak Smith

The can pictured was the JET used on the demo rifle at the 2005 TACPRO sniper match. They also brought it up to RM3G-Raton that same year. That was some time ago, but as I remember it, going from the AI brake (the old 50 cal brake) to the JET can was very similar to the change in .338LM recoil going from the brake to the can: overall a lot more "push" and movement, but slower, and the muzzle blast was effectively contained.

I shoot everything suppressed these days, and I think it'll definitely be an advantage on the 50.

We (TBAC) will be making a .50BMG suppressor for the rifle in the next few months, probably.