First round the best?

Chipperman

Went shooting again tonight, and noticed (not for the first time) that my first round from the mag was nearly always the best. Three mags in a row the first round was a bullseye, then the latter rounds were further away. Does this happen to other people?

Why is this happening? Am I tensing up after the first round? If I only shot one round per target, people would think I was some kind of marksman. It's frustrating to see the first round right where you want it then see the latter rounds edging away from the center. My sites must be moving ;) Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
It is almost certainly flinching. Are you wearing ear plugs AND muffs? We had one shooter locally for whom extra hearing protection fixed the flinching problem at once.

JoeHatley

You generally have your "best" grip on the handgun at your 1st shot. As you proceed with the string your grip is probably changing. Pay close attention to your grip and take the time to reposition the hangun if needed, and I'll bet your scores go up.

Also, if your strings of fire are taking more than a few seconds (20 or more) you need to remember to keep breathing. I've seen shooters try to hold their breath through the entire string and their "wobble zone" really increases by the time they get to the last couple of shots.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

David Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chipperman:
Went shooting again tonight, and noticed (not for the first time) that my first round from the mag was nearly always the best.[/quote]

What gun are you using? Double action the first shot is usually the flier, but if you hit better with DA then SA maybe you need to go DAO.

Chipperman

Thanks for the replies.

Oleg, no I'm just using muffs. I'll try plugs with them next time for extra sound dampening. Why do you think I would not flinch for the first round also? This is happening even after several mags have been fired. It isn't just the first round of the night.

Joe, I'm not holding my breath but there may be something to the change in grip theory. I'll try to keep aware of how the grip is for the first shot and keep it that way.

David, I'm using an HK Tactical with a CCFA Flash Suppressor attached. I'm starting cocked and locked, so there is no transition from DA to SA. The FS really keeps the recoil down. Maybe I'll try another grouping without it attached and see if this is still happening. I did not notice a change in grouping/accuracy with it on, but I don't recall if the first shot was still the best.

kingknives

Flinching often doesn't happen on the first round. It's like your brain forgot about the noise, recoil, flash etc... since you shot last. Once your brain is reminded after that first shot, it starts to anticipate it. Try conciously keeping your eyes from blinking and you'll get a good idea of your flinch. It is something that is very difficult to control. The extra ear protection will help. I always wear plugs and muffs. good luck

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!