First Rifle?

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Ok I'm curious.. with all the This is better than that threads we've seen I'd like to know..

What was the frist rifle you owned?

Mom and Dad Bought me a Marlin 995 20 or so years ago, 2 reciver bushings and a new barrel pin and its still shooting.

What was the first rifle you bought?

When my brother left for the Navy he sold me a Savage model 110b 30-06 and a leupold gold ring 4x scope for $100 (steal)

What was the first NEW rifle you bought? And WHY.

When my brother cam BACK from the Navy I handed him his rifle, said Merry Christmas and bought a NEW Savage 116 in 30-06 and stainless. I had used a Savage for 10 years.. shot 3/4 inch groups all day.. wanted a new rust resistant model with a plastic stock that I wouldn't care about scratching on a tree or fencepost. I also wanted the detachable magazine. Ive looked at other rifles since and maybe my choice would be different now , but my new Savage Shoots better than my old one. Ive killed a lot of game with both. Other guys like Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Marlin, Weatherby, etc.. me I like Savage.

Bob Locke

Lemme think.....

My Savage 10FP in .308 was the first rifle I purchased for myself.

It's also the first one I ever owned, because I always borrowed Dad's when I was still at home. He never "gave" me one of my own because all the guns in the house basically "belonged" to everyone. As long as someone else wasn't using it, it was fair game.

SnakeLover

First rifle of my own was a used Ruger 10/22 I received for my 12th birthday.

First rifle I bought was a Win Model 70 in .338 from my uncle.

First new rifle I bought was my Browning A Bolt in .338.

The A-Bolt is the only one I still have. :(

Snake

yorec

1st owned - .22 lr Rossi Gallery gun. Untold thousands of rounds later, it still shoots like a charm.

1st I bought new - Viscount Mark X in .270 win. Reason - It was the least expensive Mauser action .270 I could find at the time. Twenty years later it still holds 1/2 MOA though I changed the stock for a custom one fifteen years ago.

Wish all my other guns did as well as these two...

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My mother gave me my first "really mine" .22 when I was about ten years old. A Marlin bolt-action, tube magazine.

Somewhere not long after WW II, I got a Remington 550. I managed to keep it fed well enough to get pretty good with it.

I was 16 for my first '06, a Model 1917 Enfield. It started out as-issue, and I finished a Bishop stock for it and got the ears ground off and Weaver mounts put on it. That got me into the reloading business.

There was a seven-year hiatus in gun ownership, what with the Army and then college on the GI Bill. Since 1963, though, it's been ridiculous!

:), Art

Will Beararms

Remington 788 .243 package gun w/Tasco 4X. I sold it. Please kick me. I paid around $140.00 for it I my memory is still in tact.

FireForged

The first rifle that I owned was a Savage 22/410 (gift from Dad) that I still have. I must have put a Ga-Zillion rounds through that sucker in the very early eighties.

The first rifle that I bought was a Winchester 30/30 followed by an SKS that same year.

Ceol Mhor

My first rifle was a Marlin Mod. 60. The first (and only, so far) new gun I bought was a Vepr in .308 (my high school graduation gift to myself :p)

yankytrash

I hope this isn't exclusively a rifle discussion.

First real rifle that was given to me by my step-father and mother: H&R single shot with 22 Hornet and 12 gauge barrels.

First I bought was a Remington 870 12ga. Still have it, about 17 years later.

Swamp Yankee

Used Ruger 10/22 Sporter with a 4X Bushnell Scope was my first rifle purchase almost 30 years. Prior to that I had to get by borrowing my Dad's Remington Model 41 Targetmaster single shot. Still have the Ruger, replaced the Bushnell with a Redfield many years ago.
First centerfire was a used Remington 700 BDL chambered for 30-06.
Take Care

OkieCruffler

First rifle was a Glenfeild mod 15 that was my 12th b'day present. It's sitting in the corner right now waiting for me to find a new firing pin spring for it. POS it only lasted 19 years and I only fired a brick or so thru it every month:D .

First rifle I bought was a K98 mauser. all original with nazi markings. Bought it from a freind of my grandfathers for $100. Traded it a year later for a JC Higgins pump shotgun. My only excuse is that I was 15 and really tired of shooting a bolt action shotgun when all my friends had pumps. Nah, that don't even cut it, it was just really stupid.

Still waiting to buy my first new in box rifle. I keep trying, but the old stuff is just so much neater. Gotta go, I hear the BBT and I'm waiting on my Yugo mauser to get here.:cool:

I bought my first rifle 33 years ago. It was a Remington 700 Varmint special in .243.

It was purchased so that when my wife and I would move to the mid-west somewhere I would already have my varmint rifle. Well, here it is more than 3 decades later and still working in Manhattan.

Have fired a grand total of just 265 rounds and took it to the range about 2 months and it still shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups just as it did when new. Can't help but wonder if guns made 30-40 years ago weren't really just as accurate as todays.

safe shooting.

JJCII

My first rifle was a Marlin Model 60 given to me by my father on my twelfth B-day.

The first centerfire rifle I bought from a friend was a 7x57 sporterized Mauser.

I don't have either of those rifles, but I do have my hand-me- down Winchester Model 67 and Ithaca M-47. My best freind has the Winchester Model 62 I had while in High School and won't trade anything for it. With freinds like mine ...

JJCII

Marko Kloos

My first rifle was an Enfield No.4 "Tanker", and it still sits in my gun closet. Fast action, ten-round detachable magazine, mild recoil for a .30-class battle rifle, and still accurate enough to plink rocks at 200 yards.

My first NIB rifle was a Ruger 10/22. Everybody should have at least one, they're fun and cheap to shoot.

Target Shooter

With the understanding that I grew up in a household where my dad had a gun store I had no real need to own my own guns. We had plenty to shoot.
We were avid hunters so one year it was decided we would all have Remington 760 Gamemaster pumps in 30.06. My dad said you kids (4 boys) buy the rifle ($101.00 we paid for them, his cost) and I'll throw in the scope, mounts, sling and swivels. We all had paper routes as kids so we managed to save money.
Well little did we know our dad had already went to his distributor and picked us out consecutive serial numbers for the rifles. The two oldest brothers matched and mine and my younger brothers matched.
I was around 13 or 14 when we got the rifles. Still have it, still love it but 6 bucks don't like it.

This would be my first rifle I actually bought with my money.

TS

blackamos

Mine was a Marlin 336 in .35 rem, I wanted to be a cowboy when I was a kid. I saved money from my paper route for a year and a half to get it at the age of 13. I still have it and droped a dear last year with it. I have bought many rifles sence but none that make me feel 13 again. Maybe I will be a cowboy when I grow up.