First Rifle

LockedBreech

Hey guys,

During my time on this forum, I've received my first ever pistol (my Beretta PX4) and my first ever shotgun (my Remington 870 Tactical). I am getting ready to buy my first ever rifle after helping my dad and brother zero their Remington R700 BDLs.

I have heard some bad murmurings here and there about Remington. I really liked my brother's R700 in .243 Win. My dad's R700 in .30-06 had a stiff bolt action, but the thing is like thirty years old and he says it just needs tuned up and is usually smooth.

I talked to a Marine buddy of mine and he recommended Savage Arms for a great out-of-the-box rifle. I looked at Sako as well, but WAY too rich for my blood.

Is there any brand/type/caliber I am overlooking? I am considering a Remington 700 of some sort in .270 Win or 30.06 or one of the Savage models, but I don't really know the difference in quality/accuracy between the Savages.

sc928porsche

There are a lot of good rifles out there. If you like remington, stay with the 700 and not 710 etc. Savage and ruger make good rifles along with tika and howa. As far a cartridge choice, 260, 270, 308, or 30-36 are good choices. The lightest recoil would be the 260 and the heaviest would be 30-06. If you intend to hunt moose or bear, then I would suggest that you go to the 30-06. Other than that any of the 4 cartridges will work quite well.

NWCP

Don't forget to look at CZ firearms. They make great rifles at reasonable prices. A chambering in .308 can't be beat for versatility as well as performance IMHO.

Pathfinder45

Buy American made.

Winchester model 70 or Ruger 77 or Remington 700. .270 Winchester or .30-'06 Springfield. Walnut stocked, of course. There's lots of good used rifles if you're looking for bargain pricing. I'd rather have a decent old gun than some of the synthetic stuff that abounds today. But have it your way.....