First rifle--which one?

Bacchus

For a first rifle, here's what I'm considering. Please help me decide.

Cost of ammo is always a consideration, although I probably won't have time to shoot more than 200 rounds/month. Reloading is an option.

Will be used for lots of target shooting. Hunting is not a consideration at this point.

Rem 700 in 308--brand new, less than $400 at my regular shop.

SKS. Cheaper to shoot, but is it economical to reload 7.62X39?

Lever action Marlin in 30-30. Or 44 mag.

New or used?

SHIVAN

7 years ago I had the same dilemma...

I chose the Rem700 in .270 because I considered eventual hunting excursions. I wish I had done the 700 in .308. Myriad choices in ammo, surplus ammo is fairly inexpensive, bazillion components made for it. ++ The 700 action is one of the best. Do yourself a favor, do not get the synthetic stock. I HATE mine so much on the .270 that I am looking to lay out more money for a whole new gun.

Ed

stinger

You have narrowed it down yourself. If you are wanting a target shooter then your only choice (of those listed) is the Rem 700.

For plinking the SKS is good, but th AK is much better. Reloading is possible, but 7.62x39 is very cheap over-the-counter.

The 30-30 might be an option, but I think 44 maggie is out because of your intended purpose.

Target shooter-Rem 700
Cheap to shoot-SKS or AK.

JMO,

Stinger

Legionnaire

Ditto Stinger's comment. For target shooting, the only real choice here is the 700. The .308 is a good round and that cartridge from a 700 can be very accurate. If you take up reloading (which I have not as yet), I understand the .308 can be loaded down significantly for plinking. And should you take up hunting, the .308 is a great cartridge capable of taking just about anything in North America (although I'd want something larger if I were going after grizzly).

Of the guns you mentioned, I had an SKS and a Marlin .30-30. Wasn't keen on either. I still have a Marlin in .44 that is hunting accurate, but not best suited to targets. And I have two Remington 700s in .308, both of which are used for target shooting (I hunt with a Model 7, also in .308).

So your intended purpose suggests the 700 as the best option.

Andrew Wyatt

is this your first rifle of any type or the first rifle you're buying with your own money?

if you've not owned a rifle before, i'd buy a single shot .22 LR.

if you're looking for a food "first rifle i've ever owned by myself but i've had experience with firearms before" bolt gun would be a good choice, though i'd reccommend getting something with irons, like a 98k, an enfield number4mk1 or an 03.

Bacchus

A 22 is out. I'm looking for a centerfire rifle. I saw the Rem 700 last week and it appeared that it had iron sights. All I remember is that it was the ADL model.

SteelyDan

If it's mostly for target shooting (and a few pop cans or whatever), the 700 will be the right choice. On the other hand, if it's mostly for reducing the threat level posed by lots of pop cans, go with a cheap AK variant. After you own both, you'll have an uncontrollable hankering for the lever action. You can't control it; it'll just happen.

SHIVAN

The 700 ADL

Is a fine gun. If you can afford the extra money the BDL with the hinged floorplate or detachable box magazine is a lot better (features wise, not shooting).

I am extremely happy with my .270 ADL, except the synthetic stock.

For under $400 you really can't do much better.

Ed

straightShot

I'd get a Russian SKS. You can get 1000 rounds of the steel-cased Russian ammo on sale for $80 or so. Then, try an wear the gun out.

In addition to the SKS, I'd also get a bolt action, tubular style .22. Ammo is real cheap, and all of the principles of marksmanship still apply. A lot of us talk about our M1s, ARs, 700s, etc., but we still end up bringing .22s out to the range. There's something about shooting a .22 that keeps you going back, and getting a box of 525 rounds on sale or $9 or so can't be beat.

Tropical Z

I'd get one of the Saiga AK's that CDNN currently has on sale for $159.00.Its in 7.62x39 which i think is the most underrated round out there.Its also a 10 rounder,but in this situation i think its OK-i still don't like it though.:mad:
1-800-588-9500
Tommys the best salesperson

JackC

Get a VEPR!!!

It's an AK variant and is the Cadillac of AK's. Looks great, shoots well, cheap ammo, easy to clean. You can get it in .223, 5.45, 7.62 and .308. They are a great first rifle.

You can go plinking with it, deer/varmint hunting and if the SHTF, it's an awesome weapon with 30 and 40 round CHEAP hi-caps. It always goes BOOM. The only drawback is that it is heavy (8.5 pounds) and it is not accurate enough to compete in most matches - but they are working on a Galil style rear sight, etc. The owner himself will answer your questions and customer service is great.

You will not be disappointed and they go for under $500!!

jAK-47:D

Attachments

• vepr k 7.62.jpg
    vepr k 7.62.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 60

tubeshooter

I have both the SKS and the Marlin 30-30, and I am keen on both.

SKS would be decent, for all the reasons already mentioned. Just make sure you understand and are prepared for slamfires, especially considering it's a "first rifle". Inexpensive, utilitarian & tough.

30-30 is ok; fairly tame & mild, simple to operate, a little classier than the SKS. In fact, a little too classy to just plink with (IMHO; just doesn't feel right), and it will be more delicate as well. More expensive to shoot, but reloading is on the easy side from what I understand. An true old American classic, handy & easy to own/use.

-tubeshooter

BusGunner007

The best thing to do, in my very opinionated opinion, is GET THE RIFLE. NOW.

You won't regret it.
If you wait, you will regret that. Once you get it home and ogle and fondle it for a while :p you'll be so happy you have your first rifle you won't believe it.
I waited and hassled and haggled and wondered and futzed around for two years before I bought my Remington 700 in 7mm Rem.Mag. at a BIG 5 one day.
What a moment that was. FINALLY, I had a RIFLE.

Please, don't wait any longer.
Once you have it, you'll be looking for the accessories and ammo and getting to the most important part...SHOOTING.
Good Luck, man!:D

I tacked on a picture of what mine looked like when I got it.
It is virtually the same rifle. A 1989 Remington 700 AS (Aralon Synthetic) BDL.

Attachments

• remington 700p as --700 as--700as enhanced-zoom.jpg
    remington 700p as --700 as--700as enhanced-zoom.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 48

Cosmoline

I'd also consider a few surplus bolt rifles. They are cheap and tough:

Mausers:

VZ-24 (if in good condition, an incredible shooter) $125-$200
M-48 Yugo (some are great, others just good) $100-$200

8x57JS surplus Ammo very cheap. Modern factory ammo is either very expensive (Norma) or underpowered (all US loadings)

Mosins:

91/30 (some good, others crappy. Buy two or three.) $100 max

Finn M39 (fantastic shooters) $250

M-44 (Polish are best, since they were almost never used) $100 max

7.62x54R surplus Ammo fairly cheap, but of mixed quality. Modern factory ammo very hard to find and can be expensive.