First rifle for youngsters -Youth Model vs. Regular Model

SIGSHR

Having officially become an Uncle, my nieces and nephews ARE going to learn proper gun handling and safety. I am leaning towards making a youth sized stock for a Marlin 25N, keeping the original full sized stock for when
they grow into it, as opposed to buying a "kiddie" sized rifle. Part of my thinking is that they will learn proper gun handling, including automatically engaging the safety as soon as they chamber a round or hear a "cease fire".
As opposed to a kiddie rifle which has to manually cocked for each round, and may cause bad habits to develop. In my youth I was not allowed to have
training wheels on my bikes (despite some balance problems due to ear problems), I had to learn to ride a bike, today I am a dedicated bicyclist, I even ride to work. I also learned to shooting military surplus rifles in the Boy
Scouts, IIRC safe gun handling was emphasized constantly.
Forget where I first heard this:
"One of the hardeest things to break-is a Bad Habit."

rem33

At 11 I was given my first rifle a Remington 33, you had to cock it. It is in the other room. I formed no bad habits and one good habit. With a single shot you learn to hit what you shoot at.

arizona hunter

I like the idea of two stocks; one to fit them now and a longer one for when they are bigger-good idea you have.

Like Rem33, I learned on a single shot. It was a JC Higgins .22 (still in use in the family), and I think it teaches a kid to shoot more carefully if he/she knows they only have one bullet.

FirstFreedom

Taurus used to sell a version of their pump .22 that came with 2 stocks - a youth and an adult - you just switch it out after the kid hits the growth spurt at 13-15 yrs.

Unfortunately, looks like Taurus has discontinued it at this point. Still can be found used.

But alternatively, of course, you can buy an extra stock for most any rifle.

dfaugh

I think the 2 stocks are a good idea, although my kids learned to shoot on a full sized gun (but they were older---11 or 12--divorced, and their mother "didn't like guns" but not a true anti).

I have a 25N that I've taught many, many people to shoot with. Yes, its magazine fed, but I make them "single load" to start. Once they're comfortable with that, then I'll load the magazine, to get the used to working the bolt, using the safety properly etc. And, of course, before this all happens, they must be able to recite the 4 rules(my kids too), every time we go shooting.

I got my legs swept with a muzzle once (gun was empty, bolt was open, and I knew it), and the shooter was properly chastized. but generally The new shooters I've worked with (My childrens friends, for the most part), are VERY good at following direct...but of course they're a bit older.

Heck I'm 44 and my last 2 purchases have been youth models---a Marlin 336Y and Rem Model 7 Youth 7mm-08-----I just love how small and handy they are.

My older girls have shown no interest in guns----but my youngest daughter seems to be of the temperment to go for it---we'll see ---she's only 2 now.

3 daughters and no sons here:eek:

FirstFreedom

I'm only 5'8", with the arm length that that entails, but I still find youth stocks to be a *little* too short to shoot comfortably. But I have a Rossi youth .22, onto which I added a 1.25" thick recoil pad (for the added length, not the function of the pad), and now it's about right. I can tolerate LOPs as long as 14.5" or 15", and as short as 13". But 12 or 12.5 is getting a tad weird feeling to me, and if it's a boomer, adds to the scope-eye risk.

SIGSHR

I also not that in addition to shortened LOP I was going to reduce the dimensions in the wrist area, perhaps lower the comb.

AK103K

I would go with the "kiddie" models. The Chipmunks and Crickets are scaled down to the size of the kids and are much easier for them to learn to shoot properly and well with. They will do much better with a gun that fits them, than with one that is really to heavy and big for them, even if the stock is shorter. When they grow out of the smaller rifle, get them a larger one. They will have the smaller one to pass on to their kids.

ammo.crafter

Still have my first, a JC Higgins .22 single shot. My daughter's first rifle was a Marlin "kid's gun". A single shot .22. They are simple and safe. The single shot does promote accuracy. Her second was a single shot 12 ga with a cocking hammer (I reloaded powder-puff loads). As they grow, adult weapons become appropriate and a good 'smith can shorten a stock and add back that piece later on.

Years later her arsenal includes a 30-30, o/u 12ga and S&W #15 in .38spcl.