First rifle ends up being...

Lee6113

A ruger 10/22.

I surf gunbroker for fun a lot of the time and when there's a good deal within my "fun money" price I usually bid on it, even if I don't win I still enjoy it. Wellll, today I won. It turns out my first rifle will be a ruger 10/22 .22lr. I'm excited to pick it up. Sure it's only a .22 but still every house ought to have one, and now ours will!

And I already have .22 ammo so it's not gonna cost a ton more to shoot it regularly.

Lee

Mobuck

Well, that's a good place to start. Lots of options with a 10-22. Fun to shoot and something anyone can enjoy.

SC4006

I don't have one, but you definitely can't go wrong with a 10/22 as your first rifle. It's especially great if you ever want to do any modifications to it; there are TONS of aftermarket parts for them.

SIGSHR

IMHO a 22 should ALWAYS be a First Rifle. Picking a popular model with lots of parts and accessories available is a wise move.

pete2

I have 3 10/22 rifles and now they make M 1 Carbine version so I guess I'll soon have 4 of them.
I kind of like them.

haveblue

"IMHO a 22 should ALWAYS be a First Rifle. Picking a popular model with lots of parts and accessories available is a wise move. " I agree with that! I don't currently own a 10/22, but have shot a few. They are great rifles, and I like the feel and balance of them.

mellow_c

That's a great story about how you ended up with your first rifle! :)

I have to ask. . . How much did you pay? Was it new or used? What model?

Congratulations! You'll love it!

Model12Win

FINE choice in rifle OP!

The Ruger 10/22 is one of the best semi-auto .22s ever made.

They are ridiculously customizable for everything from small game hunting, target shooting, and even home defense. They are great first rifle to be sure!! :D

Lee6113

That's a great story about how you ended up with your first rifle!

I have to ask. . . How much did you pay? Was it new or used? What model?

Congratulations! You'll love it!

It's actually going to be my daughter's when she turns 18. She's 2 right now (part of the reason I got it. Technically I'm not supposed to by ME any guns until my birthday. But I snuck this one in because it's "for my daughter". :D)

It was new, laminate finish, $207 plus $18 shipping, $15 FFL fee, and tax.

So $259 out the door if my math is correct. Probably about the same price as buying locally but they charge tax on top of that so it'd be another 9.6%.

Can't wait to take it out. My dad has a 10/22 I shot a bit as a kid so I'm excited to try it out and eventually teach my daughter with it. And now I'm getting a rifle bug, so I better keep saving my side money up. :D

Lee

Relyt

Everyone should have a 10/22. It's on the must have list. It's just an iconic gun that you can do soooooooo much with.

RiponP90

First firearm I ever shot was a 22 rifle in the cub scouts. First firearm I owned was a Glock 17 technically owned by my parents. 22's have a place in everyone's heart usually. I have one from the 70s and I'll never sell it. This is one that you'll be able to pass down generations hopefully. Congrats on the purchase!

Guv

Congratulations,
I just bought my first 10-22 at 55yrs of age. Just the standard wood stocked Carbine and added a (very impressive to me) 2.5X BSA scope. Awesome little gun, I also got some of the 15 and 25 round Ruger mags, very nice.:)

Pahoo

Great call

First rifle ends up being... A ruger 10/22.
Not a bad call, you and your daughter will get years of service and fun, out of it. At one time, I owned eight and finally whittled them down. I work with them and shoot them regularly. These little guys are the only ones that I know of that has an aftermarket upgrade for "every" component, including the magazine spring. Eventually most .22lr. fans will own one. ..... ;)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Picher

The ultimate .22LR "kit" rifle. If it doesn't shoot as well as you'd like and are handy with tools, you may want to check out the tips and tricks forum on RimfireCentral.com. You can make it into a really accurate rifle for minimal investment.

cw308

My first was a JC Higgens short, long & long rifle bolt action. My Father had a Winchester semi 22lr. I shot better then him with my bolt.?Now when I shoot with my Son & Daughter & their children, its more fun when they seem to shoot better then me. Guess I'm following in his footsteps.

idek

I go in streaks with my shooting interests. Shotguns for a while, handguns for a while, bolt and lever action rifles... getting back into my 10/22s again. They are just fun, solid little guns. Of course, each time I get into the 10/22 mood, it usually means buying more aftermarket parts.

Between my two 10/22's, going back to my teenage years, I've bought:

10 scopes
6 stocks
5 muzzle devices
4 sets of scope rings
4 slings
3 extended magazines
3 rotary magazines
3 extended magazine releases
3 automatic bolt releases
3 bolt buffers
3 comb-raising products
2 barrels
2 red dot sights
2 trigger kits w/ shims
2 slip-on recoil pads (for length)
2 scope mount bases
1 drop-in trigger
1 set of tech-sight peep sights
1 laser sight
1 MagPul angled foregrip
1 heat shroud
1 limbsaver barrel deresonator
1 extractor kit

...and probably other useless stuff I'm forgetting. Definitely wasted money in there, but in the grand scheme of life, not too terrible. I was poor as a teenager, so at least the junk I bought was inexpensive junk.

Not that anyone asked, but a few lessons I've learned...

Triggers
If I changed only one thing on a 10/22, it would be the trigger... either with a hammer & spring kit, drop-in assembly, or sending it to someone like Brimstone Gunsmithing. Or DIY if you have the knowledge (I don't).

Stocks
After a lot of stock swapping, both of my guns ended up in Hogue stocks. Sturdy, nice grip, sling swivel studs, and straighter buttstock provides better checkweld with optics than the factory stock (a Beartooth comb kit fits nicely if you still need a higher comb).

Barrels
The factory barrels are better than they get credit for. The factory triggers hinder accuracy more than the barrels. I tried a carbon fiber bull barrel. Didn't like it and I went back to the factory barrel.

Magazines
Avoid double stack magazines. The 30-rounders I've tried (Ramline and Champion, I think) are both worthless. The Ruger 10-shot rotary magazines and BX-25 magazines have worked really well.

Misc. Parts
The automatic bolt release, extended magazine release, and bolt buffer are inexpensive, easy to install, and worthwhile. (I believe new 10/22s come with extended magazine releases).

Muzzle brakes are mostly pointless on a .22, but a steel one adds a few ounces out front, which may increase stability slightly when aiming.

Sights
Among cheap rimfire scopes, I like Simmons better than Tasco, Bushnell, or Barska. Their 4x scope has longer, less critical eye relief. Holds zero well too. With any of the cheap 3-9x32 scopes, the image gets dark around 7x and higher.

Burris's Droptine 2-7x35 rimfire scope is pretty nice among moderately priced scopes (got mine for $135) and 2-7x covers all my plinking/hunting needs.

For reduced weight, I prefer a Leupold 2.5x20 scope (6.75 oz.) to red dots. The red dots were a little lighter, but a low powered scope seems more versatile.

AO scopes are fun to try, but they come with added cost and weight, and their advantages are largely wasted on a hunting/plinking gun where shot distances change frequently.

Tech-Sights are the best iron sights I've ever used (I've also tried Williams, Skinner, XS, and Marbles sights on other guns)

Last edited:

Jim243

Can you be a red blooded American and not own a Ruger 10/22?

Well my first was an AR-7 survival rifle, but yes I am a red blooded patriot.

Great way to have fun and stay safe.
Jim

GunXpatriot

I've got a Marlin 795 personally. Better out of the box IMO, but obviously you sacrifice customization.

Despite a few more quirks, I can't wait to get a 10/22 myself. I'm looking at the lime green laminate Gallery of Guns exclusive.

Totally irresistible! Too gorgeous. I may end up with two. Keep the lime green stock one as is, and get an old used one to customize and mess around with. :)

1232.jpg