first rifle a .22lr Savage?

Jezz

hey all, a shot a freinds .22lr Savage arms BTVS the other day and was very impressed with the way it shot. i wanted to know if these rifles have any problems that may surface after a year or so.

this will be my first rifle (just finshed my licences) :)

Should i consider anyother .22lr? i should mention that im an Australian, which means that im restrickted to bolt guns (which is fine) ,so such guns as the semi auto 10/22 are out. primary use willl be for rabbit/fox shooting as well as a bit of target fun at the local club.

would love any imput :)

I've had mine for over two years!! Zero issues... She's a keeper...

0612091537.jpg

shootin1-16-091.jpg

Russ5924

Not sure what they cost down under but here you get one very accurate .22 for the money. I don't think you can go wrong with a Savage can you get the accu-trigger if so get it:D

While I lean toward my CZ Ultra Lux for iron sight match shooting, my Mk II BTVS sports a 8 to 32X scope with paralax adjustment and is truly a great shooter. Once you find the ammo it likes, it's certain death to critters out to 100 yds. Overall, mine seems to like the blue box Champions (510 load) best.

Jezz

wow nice pic!!!!!! thats what i plan 2 do

. guns in Aus are quite expensive but the aussie $$ was buying 92 US cents a month or so ago and prices have droped on alot of popular american makes, as that saving or some of it is passed on . can pick up a BTVS .22lr new for $650 ish aus so round $530 american. which is high for u guys but pretty dam good for us aussies :)

Sounds like the savage is the way 2 go. Have to wait a month tho, as its my first rifle it has a month cooling off period :eek:

pilpens

I would consider a CZ. 453 or 452 + trigger mod.
I had a savage heavy blue barrel with accutrigger but without the thumbhole stock. Had issues feeding and extracting and was not as accurate as the CZs I have. It could have been a lemon but it turned me off savage rimfires.
Many have good luck with savages and I have held one with the thumbhole stock - very comfortable.

SilentHitz

My experience with Savage has been all good, centerfire and rimfire. At present I own a Mako, it's chambered in .17HMR instead of .22, but still a rimfire. If at all possible get the accu-trigger...it's sweeeeet.:)

Mine's not as "purdy" as 300 Weatherby Mags...but It gets the job done.

SavageMako1-1.jpg

damien1988

lol silent hitz love the gun but more interested in the pic on the wall nice lol

jezz where ya from in this great land down under ? u should be able to pick a nice 22lr for about 500$ not sure about the savage tho just go bye the 2010 byers guide at your newsagent or a hunting mag they allways have the good shops in it good to see another aussie

cheers damo

edit. just thought ide add u might want somethink a tad bigger 4 the foxes i know from experance they are tuff lil buggers to take down with a .22lr u have to make sure ur shot placement is spot on i use a .22hornet 4 foxes not bigger but more ummph but it all comes down to the $$ u have i have built my rifles up over 10 years but. another thought .22 magum would do the job on foxes just a thought u can disregard if u wish

cheers damo

N00b_Shooter

Hey Jezz, Just a thought, have u tried looking on http://usedguns.com.au/.

There are some really good bargains on there. I bought my Rem 700 on there and also 2 Winchester 320's in .22lr off there for $200 with scopes. You see alot of CZ's on there and they are great shooters. I payed $730 for a CZ 453 Varmint brand new not long ago so i can vouch for there accuracy and appearance.

Jezz

im from Mt Gambier, very bottom of south australia, round 4hours from both melb and Adel. have tried Used guns.com just a tad hesitant about buying a gun iv never shot before, that and id have to have it shipped here to our local dealer who has been known to charge $200 bucks to keep it there during the cooling off period. i like the savage coz iv shot 1 and was impressed and as you probly know, if u dont know a mate that has the same make or model it can be very hard 2 try a gun

as for the foxes, you are right while a .22lr can drop them, but it is by no means what id call the best caliber. this gun will be mainly for developing sound shooting tecnique. When it comes time to fox shoot chances are i will be taking a out with me .223 and the .22 will be for plinking and rabbits :)

damien1988

ahh good choice wth development with a small cal like .22 i beleave every one should start on them they are a great lil gun i started witn a .22lr made by lighow small arms back when i was aout 10 it has helped me alot

cheers damo

y.old.ndn

I have had bad luck with mine

It was ok for a while but then it began failing to eject then constant fail to fire.:mad: mine was the cheap model and that may have somthing to do with it.

Jezz

il will definatly talk 2 the dealer about relibilty before i order , but from what iv heard 99% of people seem happy with the accuracy and relibilty you get for what i think is a very small price :). anything that can shoot a 1 hole group at 50yards for round $500 US here has my vote :)