First revolver purchase.

12-34hom

I'm looking into buying a revolver for the first time.

The caliber will be 357mag.& used for target practice mostly. Other than that i have not got a clue.

Suggestions?? I will be spending around 500.00$ if that helps.

Thanks for any replies - 12-34hom.

WESHOOT2

MOST ACCURATE

"Out-of-box" 357 is KGP-141, est. 'street' price around $400, suggest 140g Hornady XTP ammo. Sample modifications include grips and front sight blades.

This is a good starting place; try less expensive ammo and work slowly up the price ladder until your desired performance is reached. CCI Blazer is also a good start load.
Or try www.georgia-arms.com

Your results SHOULD NOT vary (but all guns are always different).
Own two; not talking from a$$.

Hal

Most outstanding value these days:

Older Smith and Wesson Model 19's. I have 2 that I bought in the last 2 years that were used but unfired in as NIB condition. I paid $250.00 for the blued one and $295.00 for the nickle finished one. Smith and Wesson triggers and actions are legendary.
Put a $100.00 trigger job into a Ruger and it comes close to a Smith.
Put a $100.00 trigger job into a Smith and it doesn't get any better than that.

This is one of the rare times I disagree with WESHOOT2. Older Smiths will outrun a Ruger on any day of the week. Ruger's are tougher, and might have a slight edge from a machine rest, but accuracy in the hand is sight picture/trigger squeeze. Nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to a well tuned Smith trigger.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

How about a pre-owned Smith & Wesson model 28? This is a
workhorse; without all the bells and whistle's. Not quite as
fancy as this company's model 27, but one hell'eva good gun.
I've owned three over the years and everyone of them have
perforned flawlessly. You should be able to find one in N.R.A.
excellent (98%) condition for around $300.00; then use the
rest of your cash to purchase some ammo and leather. I
strongly recommend the 6" barrel version, provided that
CCW is not an issue. As an added bonus, the N-frame model
28 should hold up to full charged magnum loads a bit better
than the S&W model 19. The model 28 was dropped from the
S&W catalog in 1986.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Dan Morris

The 28 or the 19. Patrolman will take heavy loads forever. The 19
is a better carry gun if you are on foot. Have shot both of them for years, never a problem.
Dan

whiskey

I vote Ruger 4" or 6" GP100. If you want an old smith, go for it. If you want a new gun get the Ruger.

OR you could get a Blackhawk in .357/9mm.

Russ

If buying used, get a S&W 686. If you can pick up a used Python for $500, get that for sure. As far as new revolvers go, look at Ruger and Taurus. I have heard that Dan Wesson is making some nice new production stuff but I have not seen any lately.

Kevinch

My first ever handgun - which was also my first ever firearm - was S&W Model 686 with a 6" barrel. I still have it today.

I would not consider, nor recommend, that you buy a new Smith. However, there are many used revolvers on the market in excellent shape. I would suggest (since you offered the gun would be used for target/range) a 6" barrel.

The 686 is stainless & built on S&W's "L" frame. The "L" frame has the same sized grip as the "K" frame, which the Model 19 is built on (and also the Model 66, which is the stainless version of the 19). However, the "L" frame is a little bigger in some areas & has a heavier barrel. It was designed around the .357 Magnum cartridge.

The Model 28 is a .357 Magnum built on the "N" frame, which was designed to fire a .44 Magnum. It is larger sized frame, cylinder, etc. & is very capable of handling a steady diet of .357 Mag loads.

Of course, the Smiths are all DA revolvers. A nice used SA Ruger Blackhawk would serve just as well as a target/plinking gun, and would probably be available for less money, and they are built as strong as tanks. I don't know that they are (or were) offered in a 6" barrel, but if not 5" & 7" were probably available & either would suit the purpose.

Lots to choose from!

C.R.Sam

The caliber will be 357mag.& used for target practice mostly.

I would like to suggest a Smith Model 27-2. Barrel length tween 4 and 6 inches. Dash 2 or earlier insures pinned and recessed.

Nice large frame, will handle all published loads of .38spec and .357 Mag.

Work of art. Tack driver. Lifetime gun.

Excellant examples often available in the 200-300 dollar range.

For target work of 50yds and under, using moderate loads, recommend Model 19-2. built in the K frame, it is a more nimble and carryable gun. Not for steady diet of heavy loads tho.

Sam

tonyz

I will be buying one myself this weekend.
The Ruger GP100 in 4" or 6" heavy barrel Stainless Steel.

Here is a picture of the 6" stainless steal.

gp100.jpg

Just a cool night shoot

GP100.jpg

Brian Williams

I would highly recommend the Taurus Tracker. It has some nice sights, 7 shots, porting, an amazing grip(called the gripper), Stainless comes in 4 or 6 inch barrel. using lswc 158gr and 4.6 gr bullseye I am getting 2 or 3 in groups at 25 yds. It is more accurate then I am. it can also be had in titanium... all for under 450

gunner357

Ruger GP100 or S&W 686, Ruger gets my nod, will be able to shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds and never wear out. If you can ruger will rebuild it probably free. Get into reloading. If this is the only gun you will be shooting you can reload for as little as 3-4 dollars a box once past initial investment. Beware the man with one gun who knows how to use it.

Torpedo

Saw a new in the box Ruger Security Six on Guns America for $295.00. 4 inch barrel, blued. A .357 that is a real work horse. Well made. Will last your lifetime and your kids too!

Salt

Colt 357.......................$400

Colt Trooper MKIII.............$350

These are great guns, the Colt Python is a great gun too but is too costly at $700 retail.

Go with a six inch barrel rather than a four inch barrel for greater performance.