First Revolver Dilemma

ScotchMan

Hi all, first time posting here, have been reading for a few weeks. Here's my story:

I live in upstate NY and am at about month 4 of my 6-8 month wait for a pistol permit. No, this is not a joke for those of you who live in more reasonable locations.

Anyway, my first goal is to have a semi-auto in 9mm for HD, range, fun, and something my GF can shoot. May also do some target competitions. This will probably be a Beretta PX4 or a Walther P99, but this is a different conversation.

I also want a .38 Special snubnose revolver for carry. Here's the dilemma: my research and what I've seen in stores has lead me to like the polymer framed entries, namely the Ruger LCR and S&W Bodyguard .38. I can't find much bad about these two guns, especially the LCR. However, I have a father who is offering to give me his S&W 342 Airlite Ti for free. It does have the internal lock I've read so much about. And, I have fired this gun, and it is not an enjoyable experience.

So, do I take the 342 with internal lock and practice with it despite the awful recoil, then use my money to buy the fullsize 9mm? Or politely decline and buy a newer .38 and put the second gun on hold for a while?

egor20

What type of ammo are you using? My niece, whose a slip of a girl fires her's one handed and off hand all the time.

dalegribble

have you tried shooting any of these guns on your wish list? if you don't like the airweight you may not like the poly guns either. it is a good idea to rent some of these at a range if you can before you lay down your money and find you don't like these guns either. having said that....free is good......it's better than good.

ScotchMan

Well, I fired the 342 a while ago, but I know I tried both standard and +P loads. It's not so bad I wouldn't practice with it, but if there is a better alternative, its something I would be interested in. I understand and appreciate the need to practice with what you're going to carry.

I haven't/can't shoot the alternatives. Ranges don't rent, there aren't even any shops with ranges attached to them here. Unfortunately unless I can find someone I know with a given gun, I would have to buy it without trying it.

I am still new to all this though, so its possible I'm missing something.

ScotchMan

I didn't realize the polymer guns would have the same recoil; I'd read (possibly marketing garbage but not only on official websites) that the polymer absorbs some of the recoil and is much more enjoyable to shoot than an all-metal gun.

If that's not the case my decision becomes a lot easier.

What about the internal lock? Is that something I should be worried about?

Webleymkv

I'm not familiar with the 342 Airlite Ti, according to S&W's numbering method (there is a method albeit a confusing one), that should be a .38 Special J-Frame with a scandium-alloy frame and a titanium cylinder. Is that what the gun in question is? I am familiar with the 340, which is similar to the above-described gun but is chambered for .357 Magnum rather than .38 Special-only. .357 Magnum from a lightweight revolver does have rather vicious recoil but .38 Special is much milder (I rarely hear complaints about the recoil of a .38 Special even from a lightweight gun).

If the gun in question is indeed a .357 Magnum and you were firing .357 Magnum ammunition from it, you might try using .38 Special ammo instead (.38 Special ammo can be fired in a .357 Magnum revolver). Other recoil-reducing things to try would be changing the grips (the right grips make all the difference on a revolver with heavy recoil) or simply limiting your range session to a number of rounds that won't wear you out.

Personally, I'd be inclined to take the revolver from your father and get the 9mm. If you decide that the revolver isn't feasible, you can always sell the 9mm or save up for another revolver later.

egor20

To paraphrase a great line from the Godfather;

Take the gun, leave the cannoli.

Take the gun, thank him, use low recoil .38s and use the money to buy the 9mm you want.

Webleymkv

I didn't realize the polymer guns would have the same recoil; I'd read (possibly marketing garbage but not only on official websites) that the polymer absorbs some of the recoil and is much more enjoyable to shoot than an all-metal gun.

I am not particularly recoil sensitive (I find 50 rounds of .44 Magnum to be an enjoyable day at the range) but the recoil of my dad's Ruger LCR .357 Magnum is "brisk" to say the least and three or four cylinders full is about all I think I'd want to shoot in one sitting. I've not shot any of the lightweight magnums from other makers so I can't really compare the two.

What about the internal lock? Is that something I should be worried about?

No. There have been extremely few documented cases of the internal lock causing problems. On the off chance that you do have a problem with the lock, S&W will take care of it in a timely manner. The whole S&W internal lock thing is a tempest in a teapot thanks to the internet.

ScotchMan

Ok, so I'm getting that the recoil situation is not going to be that much different.

Certainly sounds like I don't have any other reason to go with a new .38. And Webley, yes it is a .38 only J-frame; I don't know if it is scandium but it does have a titanium cylinder (the cylinder is a slightly darker color than the frame).

egor20

Aluminum frame and Titanium cylinder. about 10.8 oz unloaded, If i carried one I forget its there TBH.

Venom1956

The Smith is a quality handgun. (the Idea of getting one for free makes the deal all the better) Remove said lock if it bothers u and load it with some nice HP ammo. Snubs have the most felt recoil along with being the hardest to shoot accurately. If you find the small grip it has hard to control perhaps getting a slightly larger one would help.

ScotchMan

I understand my own psychology enough to realize what is happening here...I am looking for something wrong with the 342 so I can justify buying a new gun! I'm sure my dad wants to give it to me in the first place so he can do the same thing!

Maybe I should listen to myself and go buy a bigger revolver instead of the 9. Like an SP-101, or one of the 7 shot L-frames...

Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice

Scotchman said:
(edited for brevity and focus)...so its possible I'm missing something.
You are indeed missing some of your God-given civil rights. But that's for another forum.

I recall a quote from Abraham Lincoln (memory is now foggy and I cannot locate it on the internet) wherein he advised that if you wanted to make a friend, ask to borrow a book (on a subject of interest to the owner). Such an act establishes the foundation of a relationship built on shared interests. Then, of course, read it.

Such an act of generosity as the gift of a fine firearm says a lot about the recipient as well as the giver. My advice: Accept graciously and consider yourself indebted to a good friend. You have received two gifts.

Of course, you already have a well-established relationship with this man, but still, it is a sign of respect between you.

I have never fired the lightweight Smith & Wessons, but have fired an LCR with 38 Special loads (a few rounds on a demonstration day sponsored by a local Gun Shop and attended/supplied by several factory representatives). I have to think that the polymer frame of the LCR has to get some credit for softening the recoil. I do have a couple of Ruger SP101s and even though they are heavier, with 357s and even lightly loaded 357s they are a handful. A lot of the "feel" of recoil is how well the grips fit your hand. Too large and the recoil tends to weaken your grip and spread the recoil unevenly on your palm or thumb joint. Too small and the recoil is concentrated

My advice: accept the Smith and if you need help with the recoil, shop for some aftermarket grips.

This advice is coming from an unmitigated Ruger fan (I don't like the inner works of Smith&Wesson revolvers.

Lost Sheep

Last edited:

BigJimP

For a "small" frame revolver -which is relative ...because it depends to a large extent what fits your hands the best ....

a good K frame S&W ( model 19's or 66's ) are much better guns than any of the poly frame / air weight models ...and shooting them in .38's make them very easy to shoot ...but putting .357 mags thru them is no issue either ...and there are a lot of them used in 2 1/2" or 4".

Internal frame locks are ugly / may hurt the re-sale value ...but for the most part, they aren't a problem.

The more time you spend at the range ...you'll meet more guys shooting steel revolvers.../ talk to them ...they may offer to let you fire a few rounds ..and learn about their guns.

ScotchMan

Lost Sheep, don't get me started on the politics of all this. I'd love to see the media coverage if some "forward-thinking" state started charging $130 and 6-8 months for one's right to free speech.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered changing grips; I understand the Hogue Tamer grips are one of the reasons the LCR is so effective at minimizing recoil, so I see no reason why I couldn't slap those on the 342.

I may end up going with a larger revolver instead of the 9 at first. I just wish there was an equally inexpensive revolver cartridge out there.

Revelation76

Maybe I should listen to myself and go buy a bigger revolver instead of the 9. Like an SP-101, or one of the 7 shot L-frames...

I thought I might chime in and state my love for my SP101 .357 2.25 DAO. I just got some Trausch grips for it that are hand heaven. I admit, that I have yet to try the new grips at the range, but the smaller stock grip recoil never bothered me much anyhow, so I'm thinking they will perform well.

Since you might not mind carrying something 25 ounces or more, you may just want to to go with the SP101 in 357. It costs less then the S&W L frames, is probably lighter, depending on the model, and doesn't have an internal lock of any kind, so that won't be a concern.

It sounds like you may be new to carrying a gun, if I'm reading correctly. I got my concealed carry permit 2 years ago here in Phoenix. I'd like to suggest as a holster, the Smart Carry deep concealment option. I make this suggestion so that you don't have to run the route that I did over the last two years of belt and holster shopping, and trial and error, that kept the gun at home, and cost me a lot of money every time I pursued another carry theory of mine. You're trying to decide on what gun to get... Wait till you try to decide how to carry it. ;)

I've been pocket carrying for well over a year now with my heavy SP101 with stock grips and deep pocketed carpenter pants or shorts, and still the butt of the gun could be seen. Trausch grips are larger and it went past my comfort point for pocket concealment. The Smart Carry works great, just don't wear tight pants.

One down side of the Smart Carry- No breathability for the nether regions, so not the best for very warm conditions.

Last edited:

ScotchMan

Revelation76,
Thanks for the info. I'm still gathering info on the S&W vs. Ruger war, I seem to hear good and bad about both (which means the truth is probably they are similar). I am very attracted to the simplicity of Ruger's product line, as browsing S&W's offerings quickly becomes a headache. However, if/when I get a larger, second revolver, I am leaning towards the model 686 Plus. It seems like when things are so similar between the two brands, the extra two shots in the 686 is the biggest difference. Of course, holding/firing the guns would be a big part of it too. And before anyone mentions it, I really dislike the looks of the GP100.

ScotchMan said:
I also want a .38 Special snubnose revolver for carry. Here's the dilemma: my research and what I've seen in stores has lead me to like the polymer framed entries, namely the Ruger LCR and S&W Bodyguard .38. I can't find much bad about these two guns, especially the LCR. However, I have a father who is offering to give me his S&W 342 Airlite Ti for free. It does have the internal lock I've read so much about. And, I have fired this gun, and it is not an enjoyable experience.
A new, polymer-frame revolver is going to be about the same weight as the S&W Airlite. If you don't like shooting the Airlite, you're not going to like shooting a polymer toy.

Why not look for a used S&W snubnose or a Colt Detective Special? Get a real gun.