First revolver “fail” what happened?

Josh17

Okay I’m confused here as I “jammed” my revolver today at the range, and don’t know how besides maybe I did something wrong.

I am not used to the range, so hearing loud shots going off indoors my focus isn’t 100%.. I’m still a rookie.

But I grabbed my Ruger LCR, loaded 2 rounds in it (all the 38 special rounds I brought, I had a box with only 2 left in them) then closed it, aimed, and went to pull the trigger.... The trigger felt super heavy. So I got tense thinking “wow the trigger pull is insanely hard” before realizing the trigger wouldnt work. It wouldn’t go back/let me squeeze it.

So naturally I opened the cylinder, closed it instantly, aimed, and fired no problem. I’m still confused as to what possibly could have caused the trigger to lock up the first time? It’s a Ruger LCR 38 Special.

I tried to see if I could get it to repeat, but no luck. I even tried to put rounds semi loose into the chambers and couldn’t get it to repeat... What in the world could I have done to cause that? Luckily it was fixed by opening and closing the cylinder, but had that been a Self defense situation?? Makes me wonder if something is wrong...

ALSO: gun is new (well owned it for years but onlyfired about 50 times total) and also afterwards I dry fired it dozens of times after to make sure it was fine, and no issues.

armoredman

Was the cylinder completely closed? if it was, generally a high primer on the round can cause drag, but that sounds worse than a high primer.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I can duplicate that type of failure on a Ruger GP100 by not fully closing the cylinder. However, it seems like something that is sort of unlikely to happen by accident--it seems difficult to set it up as the cylinder has a detent that makes it "want" to close that last little bit.

Perhaps if there was a tiny bit of debris between the crane and the frame that kept the cylinder from fully closing. Then when you opened the cylinder the debris fell free allowing the cylinder to fully close the second time.

Hal

Been there/done that w/a S&W M19.

In my case, crud (unburned powder) had gotten under the extractor star and tied things up.

The lesson I learned from that was:
- Always make sure the defense ammunition used is clean burning.
- Never keep a revolver in a pocket w/out being in a holster to lessen the chance that lint can get into things.

Honestly, I would keep digging and keep trying to duplicate the problem.
The nature of a Ruger LCR is one of a defense/carry gun.
Everything possible needs to be done or found out, to keep that gun running as close to 100%% as possible.

Old sayings, like "For want of a nail, the horseshoe was lost,,,,etc,etc" come about for a reason. Usually it's because some otherwise trivial thing has a profound impact on the "big picture".

Carmady

It's unlikely, but on some early LCR's the firing pin bushing would creep forward enough to snag the case rim and prevent the cylinder from turning. Just swing the cylinder out and check around the firing pin; if your thumbnail slides over it without snagging the bushing is okay.

I've run into another thing with old worn snap caps, especially when the muzzle is pointed up (because gravity is pulling the snap caps, or cartridges, down). There's a valley in the recoil shield where the rear end of the ejector rod travels back to the little lock-in hole in the center. When dry-firing the primer end of the snap cap will ride down the valley in the recoil shield and get hung up and stick on the way up, and lock up the cylinder. I think mine does that because the snap caps are worn and their rims have a smaller OD than a cartridge case. That shouldn't happen with real ammo, but it's something to check. If you have some fired cases which will slide out of the cylinder by their weight alone you could dry fire while pointing the gun up and see how it acts.

Last edited:

Josh17

Was the cylinder completely closed? if it was, generally a high primer on the round can cause drag, but that sounds worse than a high primer.
I think that was the issue!

Almost certain I rushed it and didn’t close the cylinder fully.

I just tested it. I closed the cylinder but left it partially open, which was very possible as I did a “fast draw” and loaded it quickly, and closed the cylinder in a rush to get on target. So I probably rushed and didn’t close the cylinder fully. I tried it a few more times, and if done too fast the cylinder can be slightly open and hard to notice to someone newer like me, especially when trying to fast/speed load it. Since I did a fast draw I probably didn’t get it closed fully. Almost certain that was the issue.

I don’t see any dirt/grime/etc, and being fired only 50 times it won’t have any really. So cylinder not fully closed I am pretty sure was the cause.

I was able to duplicate it a couple of times with the cylinder slightly off - I did the exact same thing - loaded it in a rush - and fast closed the cylinder - and one time I noticed it “looked closed” but the left side didn’t snap it, which is likely because I was doing it too fast.
Also the trigger pull was the same. Simply pushing it a little further until it snaps into place fixes it. That’s what happens when a rookie shooter loads rounds into the revolver, closes the cylinder in a rush and tries to fire it lol

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

I did a “fast draw”

That’s what happens when a rookie shooter loads rounds into the revolver, closes the cylinder in a rush and tries to fires it lol

Quick reload procedure, not "fast draw"!LOL. Unless you are drawing an empty gun and then loading as part of your firing procedure which is not highly recommended.

Josh17

I meant fast reload not draw ha. I was trying to “speed load” without a speed loader, so I rush closed the cylinder

3Crows

My LCR .357 has been 100%. I suspect you did not full close the cylinder. But, that said, mine, the cylinder snaps readily into place with no effort required to check and make sure it is closed. It just closes and is ready to go.