First range visit.

stan5677

Well I shoot like crap but I'm going to chalk that up to the guy helping me sight in saying my scope was mounted wrong. But I had a blast my Mossberg Patriot in .270 win is fun to shoot recoil was not a problem and I was shooting 130g hunting loads went thru 3 boxes of ammo and my shoulder feels great even with the factory recoil pad and a thin jacket. Going to have the scope mounting checked out and head out again and maybe this time i'll hit paper.

Rancid

Just remember next timeto get a bigger piece of paper. :D

As long as you were burning powder and no one got their eye shot out chalk it up as a great day.

stan5677

It couldve been a elephant sized paper probably wouldnt have hit it. but i had fun. i don't see why people say the 270 is unpleasant

T. O'Heir

Scope been bore sighted? Done with a pricey tool or by putting the rifle in/on a solid rest so it doesn't move(couple sand bags is enough), taking out the bolt and looking through the barrel at a regular target 100 yards away. Adjust the rifle so the black of the target is visible through the barrel then adjust the reticle so it's on the bull too.
Doesn't sight in, but it'll put you on paper at 100. Make sure all the screws are tight too.

Reloadron

Saw and read your other thread on the scope subject. I am sure if a competent smith looks at the rifle the problem will be apparent and readily solved. Once the scope issue is resolved I am sure your range trips will become much more enjoyable. Patience, practice and perseverance will get you where you want to go with shooting.

Ron

Last edited:

stan5677

I don't think it's unpleasant I rather enjoyed went thru 3 boxes of ammo and my shoulder felt fine. I've just heard other people say that the 270 is unpleasant.

Rangerrich99

Congrats on the rifle.

Never shot a .270 that felt 'unpleasant.' I would characterize recoil from a .270 as mild. Or, to put it another way, about on the same level as a .308 win. which I always felt was 'pleasant.' My .30-06 loaded hot and heavy approaches unpleasant, and my .300 win mag is a level beyond .30-06.

Of course, rifle weight is a factor. For instance, a buddy of mine has an 8 mm Mauser (K98?) which I thought would be rather violent, but wasn't. It wasn't powder puff by any means, but after 50 rounds my shoulder felt no pain, despite the steel butt plate that I was sure was going to tenderize my shoulder. But that thing weighed over 10 lbs.

Anyway, congrats again on the rifle, may it shoot straight and true for many years to come.

Blindstitch

As other said unpleasantness has a lot of factors. If you took your gun and compared it to say a rifle stock that was cast of iron for maximum weight that rifle would have the least amount of recoil possible.

Also thickness of the rear stock can make it hurt more or less. The more surface area the better.

I shot two boxes of 30-06 and it was fine. Removed my sweatshirt because it was getting hot and the hits were harder. But no bruise.

For a better range day you should buy another gun of either lower recoil or inexpensive ammo like 22lr or 7.62x39 to shoot with your 270. Then if one gun goes south you have the other.

stan5677

I never said the 270 was unpleasant I can't see why other people say it is. I went thru 3 boxes of ammo and couldve went all day if i was better dressed for the cold weather

Blindstitch

I know but if it had a stock similar to a Winchester 94 you would hurt.

I was also contemplating buying that rifle but a U.S. Model of 1917 in 30-06 fell into my lap.

stan5677

cant wait to get my scope alignment checked out so i can go back out to the range and this time dressed properly

kenny53

When you go back to the range try sighting in at 25 yards. Get it dialed in then move back to 100 yards. You can save a lot of ammo.

Model12Win

Anyone who thinks a .270 is unpleasant is soft.

Jack O'Connor is rolling in his grave.

They truly did make better men back then.

SIGSHR

My experience with the .270 is limited to a sighting in with one of my SIG SHRs. Used my Bushnell bore sighter at home to get in the "ball park", tightened all the screws snug but not excessively-synthetic stock. Used the range's rest. I was getting 1 1/4-1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, Remington ammo-and I am FAR from an experienced long range rifle shot. I recommend the laser bore sighters-you have to remove them from the barrel before you shoot.