First range run with 1894CB .357

Wayward_Son

I picked up my new Marlin Cowboy .357 two weeks ago, but today was my first opportunity to fire it. It initially shot high and left at fifty yards. I Lowered the rear sight to the second-lowest setting and it started shooting around the horizontal centerline of my target. Still shoots to the left, but the manual suggests tapping the sight with a small hammer to drift the windage one way or the other. I'll try it next time I go to the range.

I fired 50 rounds of el Cheapo Monarch .357 158grn SJHP. No failures to feed or fire. There were a couple times it was difficult to feed, but it could have been the way I was holding it at an angle, could have been the ammo, could have just been my own inexperience with the gun. The kick is just about right for me in a rifle. (I like a pretty good snap in handguns, but for some reason I just don't care for big recoil in rifles.) The gun is far more accuracte than I am. I was using the factory sights, and my eyes just aren't good enough (nor my hand steady enough) to keep the bead right where I want it. However, I felt I was getting good groups for my first day at the range. Experience will bring better results. I'm far from a marksman, but as far as the gun is concerned I am extremely pleased with it's accuracy. With practice and some sight adjustment I foresee consistent 2-3" groups on and around the bullseye at 50 yards (not world-class shooting by any means, but for me that would be very good shooting). Further practice and adjustment should yield consistent 3" groups at 75 yards, which is probably the realistic limit of my sight and well within the accuracy limitations of the gun itself. I feel that a good marksmen would see very tight groups at 75 yards, probably even at 100 yards. With a scope, I think the accuracy (especially for me) would be much improved at range, but there's something that just seems wrong about putting a scope on this long gun. I'm undecided at this point.

The action is cool. :cool: When I first received the gun, I was dissapointed with the action. I was led to believe that the action on the "Cowboy" version of the Marlins had been slicked up a notch or two, but it seemed very rough to me. Possibly due to my inexperience with leverguns, of course. I dry-cycled the action several hundred times over the past two weeks, and I also took out the lever and breech bolt and oiled everything up, then dry-cycled it even more. That seemed to help, but it still didn't seem smoothe. But when I got to the range and loaded her up, I was positively impressed with the action. I mean, it could still be slicked up, but I was very happy with the way the gun cycled rounds. Between recoil, the accuracy, and the action this gun is a real pleasure to shoot. I feel I've made a very good decision in my first long gun, and I will keep this gun for a very long time. Here's a proud father. :D

Now I just need a manual on the caring and feeding of my new Marlin. Caring for my 686P is easy with the stainless steel, but I'll have to be careful with the blue finish on this Marlin.

bottom rung

Good for you. I think Marlin makes an excellent lever rifle. I have a Marlin 1894FG in .41 Mag. I bought the gun because it was the only pistol cartridge lever action Marlin was making without the straight stock. I wish I had a bought a .38/.357 version instead. The ammo would be much cheaper. The accuracy is what absolutely impresses me the most. With iron sights, soda cans are fair game at 100 yards. The soft recoil is also a high point. Of course being able to stow 10+1 rounds in such a compact gun is very reassuring in bad situations, which I hope to never see. As far as the actions go they do need to be worked in. Jams do occur with hollow point ammo if you are too gentle. As long as I use some force to slam the bolt home I never have any problems. They only occur when I softly cycle the action, so as not to throw the brass too far. As with you, I will be hanging on to my 1894 for many years. Good luck. Steve Oh yeah I forgot. All you need is a little oil on the outside and everything will be all right. It is not too much harder than caring for stainless.

zebulonsmith

I've been thinking about a Marlin in .357 for about a year now. Glad to hear a good report on it, not that I expected anything else.

Might I recommend an adjustable Marble's rear sight? I stuck one on my old 39A a while ago and love it. You get an adjustable sight with a nice picture without ruining the looks of the gun. The big plus is that you don't have to beat on it with a hammer to adjust for windage.

If you're going to stick with the stock sights, gently push the hood off of the front and loosen the screw on the front blade and adjust that. (Assuming it's the same ramp/hood setup on my 39 and 336.) It's much easier to make adjustments to the front than it is to beat the rear sight around and if you goof up and make a little ding or two, the sight hood will cover it up when you put it back on.

RonJ

I got my 1894c about a month ago. So far I've only shot it at 25 yards and it's literally a one-holer at that distance. I tried a scope on it but it ruined the handling and looks. I just installed a set of XS Ghost Ring sights and hopefully will get to try them out this week. It's a really fun and practical utility rifle.