first post, looking for advice on first gun

madtom

hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here, so sorry for asking a question that's been asked a million times. I am looking to buy my first gun soon and am torn between the excellent advice of starting with a .22 or starting out with something that fits my needs of home-defense and carry better (say a 9mm). I have read many posts on this site and others and have come to agree that learning with a .22 is a great way to go because ammo is cheap and you can shoot until your fingers bleed and hone your skills until you're ready for something bigger. but I have also seen some make the (valid) point that you can get the same level of practice with a BB gun. so in all seriousness, am I better off getting a 9mm or .380 and pair that with a BB gun to practice in my basement? or should I go with a .22?

tahunua001

it all depends on your finances. if you have the money to go out and buy a $300- 22lr pistol and practice with it until you feel comfortable moving up to a suitable caliber for self defense and still afford to buy a second $400-600 handgun then I would advise you to go the 22lr route but if money is in short supply around your household then it is probably best to learn with a 9mm since it is easily available and ammo is cheap.

rob i

Welcome.

My first gun was a 9mm and I did just fine. The recoil in a mid-full size 9 is not overwhelming in the least.

Rob

aarondhgraham

Well, here's a way to go,,,

Get both!

There are a ton of guns out there,,,
The two I am recommending are just one pair to consider.

Bersa Thunder 22 and a Bersa Thunder 380.

29-lynn_vanessa.JPG

Right now the guns can be bought from budsgunshop.com:
The nickel plated Thunder 22 is $288.00,,,
The nickel plated Thunder 380 is only $295.00

I own both of these pistols and can vouch for their reliability,,,
The Thunder 22 is a staple when I go plinking,,,
Practice with cheap .22 LR ammunition,,,
Carry the .380 for self defense.

My personal practice session is 5 mags of .22,,,
Then one magazine of .380 ammo,,,
Lather-rinse-repeat.

Many people on this site will give you other good recommendations,,,
This is just one pair of guns I happen to be very fond of.

Yes I'm a Bersa fanboy,,,
But for one good reason only,,,
The pistols are accurate and reliable.

Happy hunting,,,

Aarond

i started with a 9mm as well. IMO the biggest part of learning to be proficient (especially for home defense) is to practice with the gun you will be trusting your life to. that being said, i don't think practicing a whole bunch with a 22 or bb gun is going to help you very much. operation and feel is often entirely different. just go with a 9mm. still cheap enough to shoot, but doing dry fire exercises works well to build familiarity and technique.

if you decide to get a 22, get something that looks, feels, and operates like a standard caliber. the bersa mentioned above is a great choice, as is the walther p22. the mechanics and ergonomics of these closely match their higher caliber counterparts. you want something with a magazine and full racking slide. you don't want one of the target 22's to gain familiarity.

Last edited:

wbw

Welcome Tom.

It might be a good idea to take a few lessons with a qualified instructor to get you started on the right foot.

dds115

I started with a 9mm, and don't regret it one bit. Sig SP2022 is what I started with, I highly recommend it.

cwok

First Handgun

I am in the:
Start with a .22 camp.

For a few hundred dollars (possibly right around $350 if you find a good price on a new Smith&Wesson model 22A), you can have
a pistol,
a spare magazine (any magazine can fail - so buy a spare before you need it)
500 rounds of ammo,
a cleaning kit,
and hearing protection.

The .22 will probably last your lifetime and the lifetime of whichever child, neice/nephew, inherits it.
After shooting 500, or a thousand rounds of .22, you'll have a good idea of what the 'right gun' should feel like in your hand.

It is certainly possible to learn to shoot with a centerfire, and 9mm ammo is cheaper than anything except .22 ammo, but it isn't easier.

If for some horrible reason you don't continue shooting - a used .22 tends to hold its dollar value fairly well and you can make some other 'new shooter' happy by passing it on.

Botswana

If you haven't been shooting before, I recommend getting the .22 as well. If the finances work, maybe even get the .22 and a 9mm and practice with both.

Even if the .22 is not the same as your home defense gun, they are still good for learning basic marksmanship and building some confidence in that skill. 9mm is relatively cheap, but .22 is cheaper still.

Also, I would highly recommend 9mm over .380 ACP, especially if this is just a home defense weapon. To me, .380 is only good as a "pocket auto".

Typically, I'm in the "Get yourself a .38 special revolver" camp, but since you seem to have specific calibers in mind I'm sticking with the 9mm recommendation.

If it might be too great a gap between getting a .22 and a 9mm, or you just don't want to buy two guns, I have found there are all kinds of classes. Just try www.wheretoshoot.org and you can probably find some classes that can help you get up to speed on a 9mm fairly quickly.

k4swb

but I have also seen some make the (valid) point that you can get the same level of practice with a BB gun.

Yeah, well when someone gets their learner's permit to drive they can probably get some practice riding a lawn mower, but it just ain't the same.

Get the .22, you'll never regret it.

And when you do get the centerfire and decide to start reloading, buy a reloading manual before you buy anything else.

madtom

you guys are really responsive! I appreciate everyone's input. not sure what I'm going to settle on yet, but I'll be sure to post my experience once I have.

jackpine

Glock 17 or 22, 22 lr conversion kit, 7 spare mags per unit, quality holster and mag pouch and then get out there and train right and often. Later if you want indoor practice get an airsoft Glock copy.

P.S. aideguard holsters are top notch at a fair price
P.P.S. try to be a one pistol person for at least 1000 rounds down range

TxFlyFish

do you have any friends with experience to show you the basics? I would start with 9mm. one or two sessions with someone knowledgeable with a full size 9mm is a great way to start! you buy them lunch and ammo :)

wllfthn

My first gun was a 9mm and it was very easy to get into my groove and become proficient with it. That's just me though. Also, that was my first OWNED firearm. I had fired pistols before. Whatever you're most comfortable with is the way to go. Either way, good luck with your choice and welcome aboard!

WF

Caliber

if you go for a .22 the Walther p22 is one of the most compact carry guns you can get. also still has a descent sized grip.

Drudge

I personally would go with a full sized M&P22. This way you can shoot all day for cheap and it makes for an easy transition into any full sized caliber pistol.

ScotchMan

My first was a 9mm, and the recoil is not terrible. But everyone needs a .22, so starting with that makes sense as well. I'll add one thing above the others, I think you should start with a .22 revolver.

Not only is the revolver simpler, but mastering a long heavy double-action trigger pull early in your career will make everything else very easy to shoot well. It's easy to get spoiled by a short Glock trigger and then have difficulty shooting anything else.

pturner67

The recoil on a 9mm isn't bad at all so I think you go with a full-size 9mm...and add a 22 conversion kit if you want to save some $ on ammo in the long haul. I would get bored with just a .22 very quickly.

HKGuns

If you have no experience shooting and have the budget to eventually have both, get the .22 and practice your technique. If your budget limits you to only one get the 9mm.

TxFlyFish

will you be ready to purchase another gun soon after? i am asking because you might want to upgrade to a bigger caliber after couple of days. most new shooters I've seen get on 9mm after couple tries with 22lr. 22 feels like a bb gun and either 1) don't operate like a centerfire 2) toy like construction and you will (very) SOON want something more substantial. Its like learning photography by starting with a point and shoot, you will get tired of it soon.

i can live with 9mm being my only caliber but 22lr :eek: