First post and torn between the Sigp238 and the Kahr p380

Jimmy10mm

I'm a 61 year old shooter, NRA life since '76 and popped many a cap in the last 40+ years. I have been carrying a S&W 340PD daily for a number of years because of the light weight. It is a bear with the 357mag round so I use the 38+P in my daily carry.

A friend made me aware of the Sig p238 and I went down to the LGS and took a hands on look. I have a Sig P229 SAS, a Glock 27 and a Beretta 96D. These are all .40 double action only and that is my preference. Of course these are too heavy, IMHO, for a daily CCW.

In my younger days I enjoyed shooting the .45 government model and the p238 looked like a good replacement for my smith. I would have bought one then and there but I wanted the all steel model and none was available in my neck of the woods.

Meanwhile I found this excellent forum and began reading about the issues some have had with the p238 and now I'm rethinking my choices. It seems the most sensible way to go is the Kahr p380. The DAO is what I prefer, it is thinner, lighter and I haven't found one post that didn't praise the Kahr highly.

I learned to shoot DA back in the mid '70s with a 6" K22. I had read Ed McGivern's 'Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting' and Bill Jordan's 'No Second Place Winner' and those inspired me to learn the art. With semi autos I prefer the DAO to SA or DA/SA as a double pull on the first round will change the weight of pull to SA on the following rounds. I am very proficient with DA and the change in pull throws me off.

With a combat arm I also prefer the heavier pull of the DA since with the stress of a combat situation, having my finger on the trigger, I don't want to be surprised by a loud unintended noise if my trigger finger should tense up.

So with all of this windy prose I still want to get the Sig because it is so cool. :) I realize the solution is to get both and I probably will. I can't afford both at present so whether the Kahr will come first or the sig remains to be seen.

IMTHDUKE

Welcome aboard.

I feel your pain....I want the Sig Rosewood grips model, but having read all the problem threads, not sure I want those. I don't like the looks of the Kahr 380 over the Sig. I may wait till the SW Bodyguard 380 comes out...they say in July...or may spring for the Sig. And I too rather have a DA for pocket carry. I don't carry the Mustang Pocketlite 380 I have for the reason that I am not comfortable with SA in Pocket. Let us know what you decide.

Texas Solo

I have a Sig P238 that I love shooting...when it doesn't jam. Extensive research has shown that this pistol requires a decent break in period to function correctly,but once there, it's very reliable.

Two points where it differs from a 1911:
1) no grip safety
2) the slide WILL retract with the safety on, thus the potential for going out of battery while holstering.

These are not issues to me as #1 would be nice, but it still has a firing pin block, a hammer safety intercept notch preventing the hammer from contacting the firing pin (unless trigger is pulled), and a VERY positive click thumb safety.

#2 is not an issue for me either. Just pay attention while holstering and use the correct holster.

On the plus side:
This little pistol is spot on accurate!
The trigger, being single action, is sweet!
Nice grip size, unlike the LCP
No recoil to speak of, unlike the pocket size poly pistols (LCP)
It's really fun to shoot and "cool" factor is off the charts!!!!

NWCP

The Kahr DAO trigger is one of the best out of the box I can think of. I went with the Kahr PM9. If carrying a .380 I already have an older German made PPK/S. The P380 looks like a nice little pistol, but with just a tad more size and weight I'll stay with the PM9.

KyJim

It seems that most of the feeding issues I've seen on the Sig 238 are hollow points. Not all, but most. I only use FMJ rounds in a .380 because hollow points do not penetrate deeply enough, IMHO. I'm not married to the FBI's 12 inch penetration depth in ballistic gel, but I haven't seen any .380 hollow point even coming close to the FBI standard.

MPanova

Seems like you already have your mind made up but I will throw in my two pennys for what it worth. I'm not a fan of kahr pistols because I feel they are over priced and do not feel good to hold or shoot. IMO if something doesn't feel right when you hold it and you can not get damn close to being on target just by pointing then that is not a good gun for you. Now having said that I have not had the chance to shoot the new 380 so I can only speak of experience with there other pistols. The 380 might be different but I don't think it is. I own and shoot the Sig P238 and love it. I did have an issue with a bad magazine that came with the gun when I bought it last year. After replacing the defective magazine I have had zero problems with the gun in well over 800 rounds of various round nose, flat nose, and JHP's including Winchester T-Series, magtec solid copper bullets, Remington Golden Sabers, and Hornady. I carry it cocked and locked with one in the pipe in a J-frame pocket holster in my back pocket and not once has the safety been disengaged during my daily activitys. The single action trigger pull on mine measured almost 7lbs so it's not a hair trigger like some of the full size 1911's. Well I hope this helps in some way and please come back and let us know what you decided and bring pictures we all like pictures.

EdInk

Get the Kahr. The trigger will be more familar. The weight is less. IMHO it's an all around better gun.

hickok45

I'm a 1911 and Glock guy who had never owned a Kahr until recently. I bought the Kahr P380 a month or so ago and love it. Being a Glock guy, I have absolutely no tolerance for a pistol that malfunctions, even once!

The P380 has not malfunctioned one time as of this writing. I did a YouTube video with it, and I've shot a bunch of different Hollow Point rounds through it for an article I wrote. Could not get it to malfunction.

I like it so much that I began looking around for a PM9, too. I've had the same experience with it at this point.

Great guns! If I start having problems, I will let my viewers / subscribers know about it. As I said, I've been totally spoiled by Glocks for the last 23 years and will not tolerate malfunctions.

My .02 worth. :)

jreXD9

get the Kahr PM9. I traded my Sig P238 for a Kahr PM9 and am glad I did. Nothing against the Sig except that it's a .380 and why would you get a .380 when you can have a 9mm for the same price? Same concealability, too.

Jimmy10mm

I ended up getting the p238 and ran 110 rounds through it today. I'm very happy with it. A co-worker has the Kahr 9mm and likes it very much. I had thought of getting a Kahr 9 but I believe I made the right choice with this one. Thanks for the input though.