First New Gun of the Year

David the Gnome

I can't believe it's been so long since I bought a gun... Anyways, I was out checking out the local shops to see if anything interested me and I saw a stack of 3" Ruger GP100's in one of the display cases. One of the only guns I've ever regretted selling was my 4" Ruger GP100. I also have a thing for 3" revolvers. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Please forgive the horrible cell phone picture. We just moved and I haven't been able to find my camera yet.
rugergp1003in01.jpg

I've got a set of the old style Ruger GP100 grips on back order at Midway. Hopefully they don't take too long to get here. I hate those Hogue grips they come with nowadays.

GauntsGhost

I hope you don't mean those black plastic grips? Those are terrible, as Charles Barkley would say.

The Hogue grips look nice on it.

jrhilde

ghost----just read the thread and I just replaced a set of the GP100 factory grips with the charcoal laminated, so if your interested, pm with your address and I'll ship them to you--free of course, or otherwise they just lay in a drawer for years unused-----John

bossman

Very nice fine. I haven't seen the 3 in GP-100 anywhere close to me. I, like you,will buy almost anything with a 3 in barrel.

Do you know the weight of that fine specimen ?

David the Gnome

I put a few cylinders of 38spl and a couple of .357 Mag through it today. It shoots a lot like my 4" did. I think the 357's kick a little bit more with the 3" barrel than they did with the 4" but that may just be the Hogue grips (which don't fit my hand particularly well). 38's are nothing at all, even +P's. It definitely has a different POI with the 357's versus the 38's though. At close ranges it won't make a big difference but I'll definitely need to get more practice with the 357's to get used to where it hits versus the 38's.