First Mil-surp gun........Enfield No.4 MKI

stmcelroy

As usual, peer pressure forced me to finally take the leap. Picked up my first (surely of many) milsurp rifle.

I had looked at this gun a couple of weeks ago and today I finally bought it.

It is an Enfield .303British, No 4 MK I that has been sporterized. The barrel has been cut to 22" and the stock has been refinished. It's definitely not in collectable condition, which I really don't want anyway.

Paid $70 w/out a magazine. Have to pick one up at the gunshow this weekend.

Thinking about getting a synthetic stock, and maybe mounting a scout scope on it. I'll have to see how it shoots w/the peep sight first.

Here is a picture:

200212108315559911118632.jpg

Steve

Jacks308

Steve , how does it shoot ? If it'll drill quarters at fifty yards I would not give it a second thought . Maybe the #4 has better tolerance in the barrel , ( been shooting a #4mk2 it does well ) than a #1mk3 I don't know enough to be an expert . However my milsurp queen of years ago had a groove diameter of .318 . It would'nt shoot milsurp ammo worth a hoot , but "J" bore cast bullets made it work right . Slug the bore and see what size you have before putting much cash in it .
I tried the Scout scope on a shotgun for deer season and was real disappointed that the scope blacked out and I could still see the iron sights . Your results may vary .

Jack

Number 6

My first mil-surp was a sporterized (sort of) No. 4 Mk. I

I put a Reinhard Fajen stock on it with the scope mount that replaces the rear sight (K&S? - it's been a while) and a Tasco 3-9X scope. Not huge money, but had fun.

It took the Centerfire Rifle event at a grudge match between my club and another, and regularly got me turkeys and hams at the club shoots.

Sold it when I got a P-17. Still have .303 British dies and 100 virgin Norma cases, if you're interested. Have fun!

Redlg155

I've seen them advertised but was wondering about the quality. I'd like to know how it shoots.

It seems like folks have been doing a lot of conversions with these rifles these days. I've even seen them with muzzle brakes installed.

What I'm looking for now is one in original condition that hasn't been painted with crappy black paint. Perhaps my answer is in a Savage lend/lease rifle. I regret not picking up the only one I've ever seen in my area.

Good Shooting
RED