First long range shoot....ammo?

SHIVAN

I am going tomorrow to shoot at a range that will have shots available out to 600 guaranteed maybe even 1000yds. I have a brand new 700P in .308, with a 10x mildot on it........

Anyway, the real trouble I have is that the range requires FMJ ammo ONLY. I was planning on shooting match ammo Federal Gold 168's and Black Hills 175 molys. Neither one of these is fully jacketed.....

Anyone know the best FMJ rounds to shoot at these distances? I will be shooting a bunch to get zeroed, etc, as the rifle has never been shot.

Should I just find some milsurp or should I get some factory loaded FMJ? What grain bullet is best out to 600?

Thanks,

Ed

Steve Smith

Uggh. I have the feeling you're going to be flailing a lot. Why won't the range allow HP ammo at that distance? That's rediculous.

For your situation, I'd suggest Hornady's 168 grain A-Max or even better the 178 grain A-Max. Developing a zero at 600 with an unfired rifle is going to be a PITA, though. I doubt you'll have pits, so getting true target feedback once your on the target will be difficult too. A steel gong may be best, with no one else firing or a spotter to watch the gong. You will have to do some "walking in" to get your rifle close, though, and that's a big waste of money and time. Can you at least get a zero at 200 first? Just come up about 11 minutes from there for 600 as a good start.

SHIVAN

The range is on Ft Meade - Maryland, operated by a private group in the area. It used to be run by some Swedes we had as an annex to the group up there. Or so the story goes.......anyway....

They strictly said FMJ, I guess since that's what the gov't uses.....it is also better for the ecology, or so they say... the lead will not seep as much or as often. :rolleyes: I don't buy that.......

I may beg to differ, and see if they'll let me shoot the Black Hills and Fed stuff anyway as I only have 60 rounds of that.

I will also be taking my .223 so all will not be lost.

I'm sure I will be starting with targets at 100 and 200 and working out from there.

Thanks,

Ed

Frohickey

FMJ ammo is open at the base! Thats nonsense about not seeping as much. When a bullet hits the backstop, all bets are off as to how the bullet ends up looking. It could be intact with only rifle marks, or it could be splayed out with the lead core separating from the jacket.

Getting back to the topic, you could also try Barnes X bullets. These are solid copper bullets. No lead to seep out. They have both flatbase and boattail style from 130gr to 180gr.