First impressions--new S&W Model 63

Tom327

Just picked up a new S&W Model 63-4 (J-frame, SS, 8 shot, .22lr, 5" barrel).

The attached picture is the S&W catalog one. Mine is no where near as pretty, in fact it looked like a used gun--dirty and dull. I've cleaned it up, but it still isn't as nicely polished as the one they show. I expected a new gun to look, well, new.

That's about the only negative thing I have to say about it. At 30 oz (according to the box), it feels light compared to a K or L frame. The balance is good. I didn't notice any barrel heaviness with the 5" barrel. The sights are decent, but I'd like to see if it can take a fiber optic sight like the Mod. 317. The grip is the standard hard rubber J frame grip. I like the grip. It fits me well single handed, but it feels a little short when shooting two handed.

Shooting? Nice. I had 150 rounds--50 Remington Thunderball, 50 Winchester Wildcat, and 50 PMC target pistol. Each load performed differently. PMC was best on accuracy, about 3" group at 10 yds, and hit a point of aim; Remington a little larger group, hit a little below poa; Winchester in the middle for accuracy, hit a little above poa. The trigger is crisp and feels light. There's a breakpoint that you can catch with practice that allows you shoot DA almost like SA. I'm working on that, and I'm sure groups will tighten up with practice. I really like the fact that I can shoot the .22 for a long time for the price of 1 box of .38 special or .375 magnum.

Overall? I'm pleased with it, and hope to enjoy it for years to come.

Attachments

• Model 63.jpg
    Model 63.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 245

BillCA

Okay... now the "other" questions...

Lock installed? (yes?)
1-pc or 2-pc barrel?
Fit of sideplate & other parts
Finish - bead blast matte, polished or plain?
Single action trigger - any creep?

Richard

Tom327, I have handled the 5" version and it was a handgun I knew I wasn't going to like.WRONG! I loved the balance of the this revolver. Regards, Richard:D

Tom327

Hi BillCA--

On the "other questions"...

Lock--yes, as with all new S&Ws. It came unlocked, and I plan to leave it that way and never use the little key that came in the box. So far, it hasn't caused any problem (having owned it for a whole day).

1/2 piece barrel--looks like one piece to me, but I don't know what to look for to know otherwise. It's not pinned.

Fit of sideplate, etc.--excellent.

Finish--well, S&W calls it "satin stainless"--looks the same as any of the other SS Smiths I own (67 and 649).

SA creep--absolutely none. I couldn't tell you the weight of the pull, certainly no more than 2-3 lbs, but it's solid. Like a "bang" button. (OK- it's a .22, more like a "pop" button.)

Nice chattin' with you!

BillCA

Tom,

Thanks for the update.

As for the 2-piece barrel, most of them appear to have a circular "cap" piece around the muzzle instead of the solid steel barrel we're used to.

Here's my older Model 63...
M63M_L1289.jpg

Tom327

Here's a link to a review on Gunblast--http://www.gunblast.com/SW-63.htm.

There are a lot of pictures, including a closeup of the muzzle, which might answer the 1 or 2 piece barrel question.

I've got .22 snap caps o-o. One bad thing about a rimfire is you can't dry fire it. I'm aching to practice and get more acquainted with the action. I could take it to the range, but we're in the middle of our annual leaf harvest here in Conn. and weekend time is scarce.

HuntAndFish

I've always had an appreciation for .22 caliber revolvers. Grew up with a H&R Sportsman that my brother has now. I'm glad to see that S&W is making the 63 with 8 shot cylinders.

Tom: Are you planning to hunt with yours?

BillCA: Nice grips on your 63. Did you fit those yourself or were they originals? If not originals, where did they come from? They look like the M66 target grips.