First Impression: Cindy Crawford Gun

Rob Pincus

Huh?

I Mean the Steyr Scout.

Do you know how somethings in life are better left to your imagination? Some things seem to be so good that they would surely be a disappointment if you ever met up with them. Well, a few years ago I happened to be at a party with Cindy Crawford. Of course, She is an incredibly beautiful woman on the cover of a magazine and is rumored to be quite intelligent. In the past, I've met some people who have looked great on the big screen on the cover of a magazine only to look rather average or even goofy in person.. Similarly, many "celebrities" are rather detached and strike me as foolish and or rude. Well, Cindy was everything she seemed to be. In fact, she was a little thinner in the hips than I would've expected and much more charming than I ever figured she would be. A few moments of conversation revealed her to be as intelligent as reported. Count her as a pleasant surprise, above and beyond expectations.

That long intro should tell you how I felt about the Scout. It is as light, as ergonomic, as accurate, as well put together and as "cool" as it is supposed to be.

The first three rounds (two offhand, one rested) went exactly where the were supposed to go. In fact, the rested round could not have been anymore in the center of the circle. The shots were from 100 yards at 3" circles. The first two were about .75 inches apart (offhand..) edge to edge. The last shot was at a seperate circle and dead center.

The ammo was Winchester Failsafe.

The safety is a little confusing at first ( a round has to be chambered in order to put the safety "On"), but pretty intuitive once a round is in the chamber.

The Leupold scope is clear, and the crosshairs are thick enough to be picked up quickly.

The trigger is light, crisp and instantly feels the best of any rifle I own.

The stock is a little shorter than the "text-book" might suggest I should have, but it feels great and shoulders effortlessly.

A few "Snap shots" at 50-70 yards on 6 inch pie plates proved the gun to work as advertised. It was easy to pick up the plates and get a round into them in less than 2 seconds from a timer beep at those ranges, from low ready.

In addition to the Winchester premium stuff, I also fired several rounds of Cheap surplus stuff through it, with minimal loss of accuracy. In fact, I only noticed a difference from a couple of rested groups at 100 yards. Snap shooting was still consistent with the cheap ammo.

Tonight, I'll clean the rifle and mount the sling. I guess I know what I'll be doing a lot of hunting with next year.

I am in love.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited April 02, 1999).]

That about says it all, Rob. What weight bullets were you using? I've noticed a considerable variation in 150 vs 180 grain bullets in the Scout. When zeroed to Winchester Silvertip 150's (Hornady Light Mag 150's print 1/2 inch higher), the Win Silvertip 168's move the point of impact a full 2 inches right.
Did the gun come zeroed at the 100yd mark?
Any trouble sighting with that thick reticle?
Rich

Rob Pincus

Gary,

I think you got those two seperate stories confused some how... ;).

Rich,

The Failsafe was 150 gr and it was dead on.. but the factory test pattern was shot with 168gr Federal...

The cheapo English surplus is probably 168 gr.. it is remanufactured FMJ and the only markings are "7.62 Ball L2A2", but there was not any appreciable difference during "snap" shooting.

The Thick Reticle is GREAT, IMO, for fast shooting, but it may prove less than perfect for preceision shooting or game at ranges over 150 yards. Of course.. niether of those things is what it is designed for, so it would not seem fair to complain about it...

Dave Finfrock

Ahhh, yes. Another conquest for the Steyr Scout. I keep telling people that once you shoot it, it's hard to go back to "normal" guns. I can't pick the thing up without wanting to go out and bust a few caps.

Most of my shooting with my SS has been with handloads. In my gun, point of impact varies little between bullet weights. 125gr. Noslers to 180gr Matchkings, they vary only about an inch in vertical impact. Little or no change in horizontal impact. This rifle easily shoots better than my old Steyr PII.

I've shot a lot of surplus .308 through my gun, with mixed results. Most of what I've used has been Portuguese or German. They usually will hold 2", occasionally much better. The problems were misfires. The SS isn't really set up to handle hard military primers. Mine wouldn't bust Portuguese primers at all until I adjusted the striker tension. My SS is a very early gun, and I gather that these had more difficulty with hard primers. The tension adjustment is very easy and cleared up most of my problems.

All in all, the SS is about the most fun with a gun that I can stand. Any more, and I'll have to be sedated...

Knight-
I don't know that you'd wish to fire 100 rounds from the bench, but in the sitting, offhand or various jackass positions, it's a *****cat!
Rich

Rob Pincus

It is, as Rich suggested, not a factor in a practical situation. It is not more noticable than my Rem 700 pseudo scout.

Jeff Thomas

Rob, what do you think of the bipod? Before I even handled the Scout I had heard it was flimsy. And, when I looked it over I could see why it has that reputation. However, is that just an inaccurate first impression? How well do you think it would hold up?

Rob Pincus

Jeff, I'll have to let you know that after some practical testing. TO be honest, I share the same initial impression, but I've been told that it stands up to regular use.
The other day, I kept thinking that I should try it out, but I was having too much fun snap Shooting.. I really don't have a "shooting bench" set up, either.. so I will have to use it in some "field conditions" when I get a chance...

Rich and others,

What about the sling? Coop's Daughter told me that they had been experimenting with JUST using the first two contact points, not the rear one on the stock.
I put the sling onthis afternoon and I noticed that the fold and buckle at the rear of the weapon tended to "bulk up" between the stock and my upper chest/shoulder area. I remembered what I had heard and disconnected the rear of the sling.. World of difference in the ease of the shouldering and it seemed just as secure to use only the first two contact points of the sling....
I did notice, however that when the weapon is shouldered with only the front two contact points the muzzle ends up just below shoulder level.. not a fun thought if the gun ever went off while I was looking up. ;).

Before I cut up my new sling I was wondering what other SS owners thought...

"Jeff", said Rich, butting in uninvited, *again* :). I don't guess the bipod would hold up if you intended to use the weapon as a stepstool or rapelling hook. But, as a bipod, it's plenty strong enough. If you're using it to support more than the weight of the weapon, you're using it incorrectly.

For me, the greater inconvenience are the sharp tips of the Scout bipod...these tend to dig in, even under the light weight of the weapon, and require it to be lifted to readjust.

Rob-
I, too, find the rear attachment to bind...it has the tendency to fall back, rather than forward. You might consider two alternatives to cutting up your Ching Sling:
1) Attach it to the right side of the stock...doesn't work for me but it may for you.
2) Buy a CW sling.....this is actually a normal two point attachment sling. You hook it front and rear for carry and move the rear swivel to the mid position in the field...snug up and you're good to go.

I think the answer would be some sort of spring load on the rear swivel to cause it to flip forward...either this or training to tug it forward as you unsling the rifle from the shoulder. I have been working with the second method. Inconclusive results at present.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited April 04, 1999).]

Rob Pincus

I'll have to think about this one a little longer.. I am sorry to hear that this problem does not get better with time....

Rob Pincus

While in Florida a couple of weeks ago, Rich showed me the solution to the sling problem..

It is to attach the rear mouting point to the right side of the rifle as opposed to the left (where the center point is attached for a right hand shooter).

Today was the first chance I had to try this out, and it works... very well.

I had one "light strike failure" with the surplus ammo today, which I was warned was likely to happen.... Note to self: use high quality ammo only on any "bad days" .... :)

Kodiac

I met Cindy Crawford just outside of Dekalb IL, where her folks live... In fact her mom worked at a bank where she used to cash my checks. Got a kiss on the check from her. She is beautiful in person...

I have met The Steyr Scout too... Held it and caressed it... But didn't fire it - They frown on that in gunshows.

As gorgeous as Cindy is... between the two - I would choose the Scout Rifle.

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

Marcus

Heh heh a wise man. If you take good care of it the SS will look and perform just as good in 25 years. The same can`t be said for Cindy. ;) Marcus