First IDPA&IPSCshootand the winner is....

neil pilling

I would have to give the nod to IDPA.

THis is because I like the tactical atmosphere of the IDPA. The one IDPA shoot I went to was put on by a group just starting out their club. There were three courses and some long delays. But the stages allowed for some creative sollution (within reason). A person had to think as they moved through the stage. It was a matter of tactics instead of just planning on how to place magazine w/ the Correct number of rounds for the reload after dumping an empty mag that had contained the "correct" number of rounds for the first part of the course of fire.:)

As far as IPSC goes I had a lot of fun today shot 5 stages w/ handgun and 14 w/ shotgun. Shot alot of ammo and left grinning from ear to ear. I also left w/ this nagging feeling that I have been unfaithful to my law enforcement training. Standing still in the box w/out cover shooting it out w/ 8 targets and then running forward towards another box (again no cover) and shooting it out w 6 more targets gave me the heebeegeebees.

These feelings were put rest after saying the heck w/ tactical just have fun and burn some ammo. This is in so way a slam against IPSC because I will be back to enjoy myself with the friendly people of the WI practical Pistol League I met today in Monroe WI.

My perfect idea of an organization woould be the IDPA mentality w/ the ammo count of the IPSC. Until that group comes along I will go to IDPA to keep the book of tactics up to date and IPSC so I can step back close the book and start throwing lead.

I shoot in both too and enjoy each the way they were supposed to be enjoyed. I have to get myself in the right mindset prior to going to each event. What chaps my a** (and that's a lot of a**) is when shooters of one sport slam shooters of another sport. Our interests are the same, it's just the techniques that are different. I don't shoot IPSC for realism but for the "gun and run" aspect and I don't shoot IDPA for it's high round count but the tactics involved.

AndyP

I shoot and enjoy both, as well. I started with IPSC in Appleton, WI and later when the Ripon, WI club started IDPA I got into that. I think the differences between the two are exaggerated. Shooting IPSC Limited prepared me well for IDPA.

I find IPSC relatively challenging due to the high round counts and steel and IDPA challenging due to the large number of strong-hand/weak-hand only scenarios, the magazine changes with retention, and the tendency of the Ripon match director to put in stages that involve prone positions or rolling in the dirt. :eek:

I look forward to shooting the WI state finals in both (not that I plan on winning anytbing). Any other cheeseheads out there?

AndyP