First home made holster

3o3brit

Here is my first attempt at holster making

A field holster for my P95

Picture003.jpg

jacz

Very impressive, how long does something of that quality take to make? I would guess a long time with all of that detail.

Shorts

Nice job. Hand stitching takes a little while. What dye did you use? That's a nice color. I've made a few holsters for our pistols. I've got a few more to do....as soon as I order more needles and thread :eek:

3o3brit

Thanks
I got the stamping tools and the English Tan dye from Tandy and the snaps and thread from hobby lobby.
I just made up the pattern and cut it out of scrap tooling leather.
I have about 30 dollars in tools and a couple hours in time. I was practicing for a western holster for my Smith & Wesson revolver that I am finishing now.

jrklaus

+1 to what everyone has said...

about how great that holster looks! Be certain to post pictures of the revolver holster when you're finished!

Pamato

Very nice holster!! Mine have been more utilitarian in appearance. as soon as I can take some pictures and post 'em, I will.

I really like the basket weaving. very nice.

Shorts

Can someone tell me what "texican" is? :rolleyes: In all my life that term has never cross my path until recent months. And we took Texas history every year for 12 years.

Last edited:

jrklaus

Shorts,

If I remember correctly (and American history is not my long suit), the term "Texican" was used by some to refer to the citizens of the Republic of Texas, before it became a state. If my memory is faulty, I'm certain wiser folks will correct me. :)

gb_in_ga

At least from what I've come to understand, the terms "Texican" and "Texian" are synonymous, originally referring to those people from Texas (both anglo and hispanic), before the revolution as well as during the republic period, except for those supporters of Santa Anna and non-aligned indians. By extension, that includes those who trace their ancestory to that group (like myself). The terms were later shortened to "Texan".

USP45usp

Nice.

I wished that I had enough talent to be able to do that. Sadly, I was born with the artistic nature of a monkey :(. (even though some art pieces done by monkeys have sold for high prices :eek: ).

Wayne

esskay

I wished that I had enough talent to be able to do that. Sadly, I was born with the artistic nature of a monkey . (even though some art pieces done by monkeys have sold for high prices ).

Heh, I wouldn't even know where to begin either.

I was wondering, how exactly are the custom molded leather holsters made?

almark

I too believe that "Texican" refers to the residents of Texas while it was still under control of Mexico... If you heard it recently outside of the context of Texas history, it was probably just someone being funny... like how I speak with a slow country twang sometimes, just to throw people off (come on... you know you do too...) :)

Archie

Holster making

Tandy (now on-line and mail order only) has at least one book on holster making. They also have equipment and supplies.

Holster making isn't difficult, but requires some attention to detail - kind of like reloading.

tulsamal

I was wondering, how exactly are the custom molded leather holsters made?

I read an article once upon a time about making a holster that covered that. They made the basic holster. Then took the target gun and oiled it up and put it in a plastic bag. Then that got inserted into the holster that had been submerged under water until it was totally soaked. Then the holster (with gun inside) was placed under weight. And left there until it dried. The gun didn't rust since it was well oiled and in a plastic bag. And the leather shrank to the gun and then stayed in that shape once it was dry.

Gregg

Onebum

First, that's a beautiful holster, and for a first try, wow. Tulsamal, that's interesting, I had wondered about that.

Also, Not sure where I picked this up, but some folks were looking for a holster for a certain new gun. But since the gun was new, none were available yet because the holster companies hadn't gotten any fake guns from the mold companies yet. Company A buys the gun, makes molds and the creates exact replicas of the gun using the molds, and sells the replicas to company B, the holster companies for them to make exact holsters. Or something along those lines.

True or not, I don't know, I'm just spewing out what I took in recently. If anyone knows, please let me know if I'm close to the truth, or if I made everyone's lives a little worse for having read this lie and should be banished a world of slingshots for having said it.