First Handgun Options

Contrast Man

Hello everyone!

Seeing as this is my first post, I'll begin with a little info about myself and plans for said firearm. I'm fairly new to the world of firearms, I've taken a few familiarization courses at my local range and have since been hooked and would like to shoot on a recreational basis. Home defense for this handgun is not a primary concern of mine (at this point in time) however it will take that place in the future as I will be moving to Chicago in the near future. With Chicago being stated, CCW is not an issue for me. After doing some research, I've decided to start on a .22LR platform to hone my skills. The main gun that's attracting me right now is the Sig P226 due to it's wonderful reputation as well as the ability to purchase conversion kits and essentially have multiple caliber weapons all on the same familiar frame.

My questions to you are 1) Are there other handguns available that allow quick and easy caliber conversion on the same frame? and 2) Is this method even a good(effective) idea?

My price range would be in the area of the P226 .22, preferably nothing more. I have not had a chance to spend any range time with it personally, but my range does have a rather extensive rental program which I plan on taking full advantage of soon.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Shadi Khalil

It's a great choice. Even without the conversion kit, the 226 in .9mm is easy to shoot. Glock also has kits that are just as easy to install.

pilpens

Sig and CZ have .22 pitols which can be converted to centerfire.
Keep in mind that some .22 version of a centerfire pistol do not lock open on the last shot.
Having only one manual of arms can make training simpler (muscle memory).
=====================================
I like dedicated .22 and dedicated centerfire. I use to have a .22 conversion for a .45 1911. I found that with the .22 conversion, the 1911 felt too different without the recoil. Also, the trigger felt too have with the .22 but OK with the .45.
=====================================

Merad

If your main interest in your first gun is practicing, I would look at a dedicated .22 target pistol like a Ruger MkIII. They can be had for less than the cost of a .22 conversion kit for the P226. From what I've read the conversion kits also tend to be more picky about ammo, whereas my MkIII will (so far) digest anything I throw at it.

That said, the P226 is a great gun - I love mine.

C0untZer0

The CZ 75B series are some nice firearms, and there is both a .22 conversion and a whole .22 pistol - the Kadet.

I like the idea of having a .22 that has the same MOA as my primary, but is also accurate so when I'm practicing good marksmanship - I am getting good results and feedback with the training.

jrothWA

Suggest you consider...

a 4" .357 revolver for first-timer.
Use .38Spl target loads to acquire the proper trigger andsight alignment skills, move up to regular loads aas you feel comfortable and then .357 when you feel the need.
This way you minimize the safety learning and get introduce to other shooter that will be willing to assist you.

Then IF & WHEN Illinois gets a grip on reality, you have a decent CPL firearm.
With the exception of the the kingdom of daley.

sgms

I have both the 226 and EAA Witness, both are truly fine handguns and will serve you well. My suggestion is find a shop with both and get them in your hand, go with the one that feels best. As in fits comfortably, can reach all the controls(safety-slide release, ect.) with out having to change hand position. If you get a chance to rent and shoot them do it. If they both work well for you the Sig has a better reputation and a much better resale value than the mostly unknown Witness.

BigJimP

I have a sig 226 ...and a .22 conversion kit for it ...and its a good gun / and a good kit. I'd recommend it.

There are .22 conversion kits for most 1911's as well as the others mentioned...

hlds54

fyi sig makes a .22 version of the p226 called the mosquito. i havent shot one but they seem good, couse hey, its sig.

sigcurious

As far as ease of conversion 4(.22lr/9mm/40sw/357sig) calibers 1 frame, I think Sig is the only one. Do a search on microgunner's post history, he has a nice post of the full 4 in 1 set up.

Personally I love my p226 it started life in the .22 form, upgraded to 9mm (I still almost exclusively shoot it in .22 though) and will probably get a .357sig upper around the new year. I shot a bunch of minimags at first, didn't bother to try anything else. Now I've tried winchester 333/555 box and Federal Bulk(both have similar advertised FPS as minimags) and both work fine for me YMMV. Sigpower sells followers you can use in your mags that will make the .22 lockback on the last round also. Haven't tried them yet but probably will sometime. Check around on buying the classic series, some dealers only give you 1 magazine, others 2. Some places only have the old grips some have them in the new E2 grips.

I just picked up a mkIII 22/45, it is also a fine pistol. At the current time, I am not accurate enough to see a difference between the two. Both pistols are still more accurate than I am.

Also...moving to Chicago, to stay fully legal, you will need to apply for your FOID(if you dont already live in IL), once you have your FOID take the CFP class and turn in your paperwork to get your CFP. Once you have your CFP then you can bring your gun into the city limits legally and register it(don't forget this step, just having the CFP isn't enough). If you're not from IL already the entire process will be at least a couple of months.

C0untZer0

The Glock G22 .40 S&W converts to 9mm, 357 Sig, and you can buy a couple of different .22 conversion slides for it. Advantage Arms makes one...

Just FYI, because I wouldn't recomend a Glock for a pistol to start out on, but there are a couple of models that you can get 4 calibers on a frame.

Contrast Man

TailGator:

I've heard of the EAA Witness before, but I can't seem to find a range nearby that rents it out. It's a definite value with decent reviews. It's on my radar.

jrothWA:

I completely forgot that .357 mag can also use .38 special. My revolver experience is rather limited, the only ones I've used have been S&W 617 and 642 and I loved shooting them but looking at the 686, that's a bit out of my range. Do you have any recommendations to a 4" .357's that are perhaps a bit more affordable (i.e. under $500?)

I'm definitely taking in everyone's advice, just haven't had a chance to get to a range yet because I still have to wait for a FOID now that I'm officially moved into IL. Hopefully that won't be too long of a wait.....

Indi

well if your gonna move to chicago you might as well get your chicago permit too. You cant posses a firearm in chicago without that permit.

Jeff45

I would recommend going with a separate Ruger Mark II or Browning Buckmark .22. Both have a proven track record, are quite accurate, and can be picked up for around $250 used to $350 new. There will be some cold days you won't want to mess around with a conversion.

The P226 is an excellent choice and is know for it's dependablility. If you have small hands, go with the E2 grip and / or short reach trigger. Pick up a few variations before purchasing one.

Ed Jaws

Trying not to be off topic but since you ask... "2) Is this method even a good(effective) idea?." in your original post. I'm going to agree with jrothWA's post, though I doubt you take his advice...

"Suggest you consider...
a 4" .357 revolver for first-timer.
Use .38Spl target loads to acquire the proper trigger and sight alignment skills, move up to regular loads as you feel comfortable and then .357 when you feel the need.
This way you minimize the safety learning and get introduce to other shooter that will be willing to assist you... (snip)

My personal experience many, many years ago, I started with a Colt Trooper 357 mag. But I first shot 38 special wadcutter loads to familiarize myself with the gun at the range on bullseye targets and progressed from there.

Ed