First hand experience of gun lock, locking up on my.........

clayking

taurus. That's right, the taurus locked up at the range. Would not cock for crap. Even actually turning the locking key would not set it free. Went home, took it apart and got it to release. The taurus lock placement may be better positioned than a S&W, but it ain't no better, if not worse, at working as they should.

First rule of shooting, when taking one of these lockable guns to the range, always, take a back-up. Of course, whenever I take my one and only taurus I always take a back-up..........................ck

Doogle

Just on the off chance, and...>

...you may have already checked this, but a fairly common cause of lockup is when the ejector tube becomes loose and unscrews under recoil. I've had this occur on a Taurus M689 .357. Tightening the rod fixes the problem and if it continues to loosen I have read that some people locktite it. The problem isn't limited to Taurus revolvers.

Just a possibility.

44 AMP

Staff
Any Ideas?

Yes, buy S&W. But not the new ones, the older ones, pinned and recessed are the best.

this is not meant as sarcasm. It is meant to be a serious suggestion. There is NOTHING (in the realm of ordinary handgunning) that the new guns can do that the old S&Ws can't.

If you just got to have a .500 or a .460, go ahead, but I put those monsters outside the realm of ordinary handgunning.

NCHornet

Can't you just remove the inards of the locking mechanism? If so I would do this before the next range trip.
Good Luck.

dbsoundguy

Can't you just remove the inards of the locking mechanism? If so I would do this before the next range trip.

Clayking...I just got a Taurus Tracker, it has one of those. When i saw the key in the box, asked the dealer.He said it was for locking the hammer..Hmmmm..I have not locked it ,I guess no need...did you use the lock from the beginning or later on..I am very curious about this hammer lock, It Looks like it could mess you up:eek:

Have you looked into this online...because now i am...:)

Thanks NCHornet...I have pondered that same question..Have you dealt with these before on any guns.....

Does anyone know how we can find out more

Last edited:

clayking

Been out for a few days. I took the sideplate off when I got home and starting fiddling with the hammer and all of a sudden it released and let me cock it. I'm not at all sure what actually caused it to lock at the range, the actually locking mechanism or something else, never to be known. At the range it just went from cocking to locking. I have never locked the gun other when I first got it just to check it..................ck

earshot

lockup

i know it is a longshot,but could it be a high primer or a bullet thaqt moved out that caused the lockup. it easily could be the cylinder pin also?
i'm no pro but i have had the high primer and the rod problem.with my tracker
never experienced any problems other than hitting the target.that was my
fault,not the gun's. dan