First gunshow in a while... Disappointing.

Bigfatts

Went to the Tampa show yesterday. Terrible, just terrible. Overcrowded- thank you to those of you who went and actually wore deodorant btw, doesn't seem to be important for most people anymore. Almost every gun I saw was ridiculously over priced, $1-300 over what you see them for in most shops. I was looking for another revolver and while I did see a couple I would have liked to buy, the prices were just terrible. I didn't even look at ammo. I did see a CZ P-01 for $350 but just couldn't talk muself into another 9mm right now. The one saving grace was a knife dealer whose prices were good. Me and my brother both bought one. I bought a Tops Tracker 2 and he bought an Esee Model 4. Got the Tops for just under what I could get one for online at its cheapest. The Esee was on par with online prices.

Is this price gouging getting to be the norm with the shows? It seems like all I hear when I'm there is "Get it before Obama bans it." or "There's a shortage."

And now for a little eye candy, much happier with this than either of the revolvers I contemplated:
018-1.jpg

wingman

Sadly gave up on gun shows about 7 years ago in my state(Texas)deals are few most stock old with dust that appears each month with high prices,simply not worth the effort.

Bigfatts

Well usually I find what I need at at least one dealer. This time there simply were no deals to be had. I think it's just unscrupulous dealers taking advantage of paranoid people that buy into the hype about everything getting banned. I actually watched a dealer tell someone they had better buy that last couple boxes of WWB 9mm before they couldn't find anymore. The customer did just that and the dealer pulled out another 2 boxes of it as soon as he walked away.

I was very successful at my last gunshow just a few weeks ago.

I picked up a 1968 Colt Official Police 6" .38 Special for $370 out the door.

Bigfatts

Heh. I looked at a Trooper and a Detective Special and they were both $600+. I see them in shops for +/- $400

sir_n0thing

Ditto most of the WI shows. Aside from the few random private sellers you might run into, I can get most things cheaper at Cabella's. Some people/dealers should be ashamed, but money rules above all else. "gun people" feeding on each other like cancer, using paranoia as a marketing tool.

~ sent via Tapatalk from my andr0id ~

PigFarmer

Had the opposite experiance with mine

Crowded yes but found a nice Walther P22 way under what LGS and online have it for. Granted it has taken me three tries to find it but I enjoy going and walking around with my friends and getting a chance to see and touch some of the stuff that I normally don't get to play with.

Oh, and the show where I picked up the Colt?

Crowded was not the word for that show...

I've seen pictures of slums in India with far fewer people...

TheNatureBoy

Same here as far as gun shows are concerned in Virginia. The biggest and the best one within driving distance of where I live is held at the Show Place in Richmond. More tables with guns than trinkets, and more wheeling and dealing outside in the paking lots as well. The ones held in Va. Beach, Norfolk, and Hampton are so, so. I guess it depends on what you're looking for as well.

thegunwire

I hate gun shows. I can't get near anything I'd care to look at, and even if I tried, nobody gives you any space. Lots of people who probably melt at the sight of anything that promotes good hygiene. At the gun show in Costa Mesa, they serve beer. Not sure that's common at gun shows, but something really bothers me when people are handling guns and drinking beer. The only reason I ever go is that one dealer is kind enough to put me on the VIP list so I skip the lines and get in free, and if I don't show up at least for a few minutes every other couple of shows, he'll quit putting me on the list.

- thegunwire

m.p.driver

The last three shows walked out empty handed.It's like i told a dealer back in 1994,who said"Get it now before the government bans it". Buddy you got M9 mags on your table for $70 that last month were $7,Ar-15/16 mags for $40 that were $5,the only thing worse than politicians are venders feeding on the public.
It's 2008 all over again,but i got a Ruger tactical zombie killing 10-22 for $1000 for sale.

glockman55

Gun Shows in Michigan are about the same, I don't get it. shower and a little deodorant, what a bunch of Pigs..:confused: I've been to Flea Markets and haven't seen as many slobs as Gun Shows..Not much there for me, plus you have to check your CCW at the door.:mad:

Maybe it's just an indication of the area in which I live, but there are not many true slobs at the gun shows I frequent.

Good friend of mine attends in tux and tails. :)

chiefr

I enjoy gunshows, even though I rarely buy anything. I do enjoy conversations with some of the sellers as many are full of expertise. One guy let me handle an original Colts Dragoon, with documentation, and the gun was in excellent condition but not for sale.
Collectively and at least in my area, most of the dealers prices are exorbitant. However around 15-20% of the people are there to actually sell guns and they will haggle. Unfortunately, they have nothing I am interested in. I have on occassion found deals that cause me to make a trip to the nearest ATM.
Ammo and reloading supplies are bargain priced at most gun show I go to.

tnxdshooter

Heh. I looked at a Trooper and a Detective Special and they were both $600+. I see them in shops for +/- $400

Really? I wonder why my father got 650.00 on a trade in on a 1994 model colt detective special with rubber grips nib at the local gun store? No more than a year ago?

"I wonder why my father got 650.00 on a trade in on a 1994 model colt detective special with rubber grips nib at the local gun store? No more than a year ago?"

The counter monkey was drunk?

I see prices all over the map in gun stores.

I think a lot of times it has to do with whether the gun is there as a consignment piece or whether its owned by the gunshop.

bikerbill

Last time I got a deal was almost four years ago, in Austin, a NIB Kimber UCII for under $700 ... haven't been since, just got tired of my feet being stepped on and all the conspiracy nuts peddling loony books and movies ... maybe I'll try again this summer ...

Bigfatts

Really? I wonder why my father got 650.00 on a trade in on a 1994 model colt detective special with rubber grips nib at the local gun store? No more than a year ago?

He got $650 for a Detective Special on a trade in? Good for him. Could be because it was NIB. The one I was looking at locally was $450 with not a scratch on it. No box or papers. Could just be that it's a different area.

thallub

Gun shows are a lost cause for me. Theres least one NFA dealer with stuff you can't buy. Theres the doomsday prep stuff and lots of Nazi trash. i have bought a couple nice guns in parking lots. :D