first gun suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on what a new handgunner's first handgun should be. I'm not looking for a CCW weapon so the size of the gun is not a problem. I'd be interested in all types of handguns. (sa & da revolvers, semi-autos)

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

Rich Jone

I would suggest a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark II. Both are 22lr semi auto pistols & are great & cheap to shoot. You can eventually upgrade to a more powerful handgun but a 22lr is hard to beat for just going to the range for plinking.

Quantrill

I agree with Rich that a .22 cal. semi-auto is the way to start. Both Elmer Keith and George Nonte in various books make special note that a .22 should be the first gun. Maybe a used Colt Woodsman or Browning Challenger might be available at a gun store. Even a .22 target revolver by S&W or Colt would make a fine first gun.
Quantrill

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
I hold with the conventional wisdom: the beginner's handgun should be a .22 rimfire. Whether your taste runs to the automatic or the revolver is a matter of personal choice, in which no one should presume to advise you. Whatever you choose, it should be a gun with a good reputation for quality and accuracy. Trying to save money in the selection of a handgun is never a good idea. One can economize by buying a clean used weapon instead of a new one. It's hard to wear out a .22, and good used ones still have a lot of milage left. Pick a gun that you think you'll want to keep, not one that 'will do for now': you'll find much more satisfaction that way. Handle many, buy one. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Miss .357

I guess I have to be one to disagree. I started with a sawed down 12 guage with a pistol grip then went to a S&W model 60 .357 (my first purchase). Only recently have I shot a .22. I believe if you start with the small guage/smaller kick guns, you might come to expect all guns to be that way.
I think you should consider a .38/.357 Magnum to start. You have the flexibility of targeting shooting and learning to shoot with the .38 bullet while also having the option of the bigger caliber within the same gun. I love mine!

P.S. I am looking at getting a .22 in the near future but this is after I already have the .357Mag and the .44Mag (my second purchase). :)

------------------
"Time changes everything"

Keeper

I learned with a .357 revolver using .38 cal. The heavy gun combined with the fairly soft recoil of the .38 helped along with a 6 inch barrel. A .22 is probably the best bet but the revolver worked out well for me.

It is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Ben

My first time (shooting) was with a Beretta 92 which I don't recommend because there are too many safties to remember. My first gun was a Ruger P-95 with a decocker because there isn't anything confusing about it. I don't think the .22 is a better gun to start with because it doesn't prepare you for any sort of recoil. They're all deadly, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just get an easy to use 9mm.

Just my opinion

------------------
Ben

"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Rod WMG

I used to always say the .22 caliber because of recoil, noise, and cost. But now I'm just as comfortable advising for the .38/.357 revolver with wadcutters to begin with. The sights are adjustable on many, which I consider a big plus, and a double action sixgun usually has a good trigger (especially S&W).

The only real advantage to the .22 as I now see it is the cost factor, if you don't reload. If you do, .38 Spl. can be reloaded for about $3.00 per box or so. A most versatile cartridge with more applications than the .22.

As an aside, one of my friends, when he first started shooting handguns, was intimidated by a slide coming back at him. For him, a sixgun was the way to go.

shamster

A double action revolver is always a good choice. I would recommend one a .357 MAG/.38 Spl from S&W or Ruger. Start with the .38's and work towards the .357 when you get better. If you'd rather have a auto, why not a 9mm Glock, like the 17 or 19? Easy to shoot, very simple design, no safeties, decockers, different DA/SA trigger pulls, etc. After your first gun, a .22 is good to have to correct common shooting errors.

Robert Foote

Back when I was instructing, I would often start people out on a M18 (4" K-22) .22 cal revolver. Cost and recoil was, of course, minimal. I would teach the basics with emphasis on DA shooting, and promoted a certain amount of dry fire. The beauty of the DA revolver is that you can 'skip load' it with 3 (or just 1) rounds and the student not only gets good practice but also sees instantly what they are doing, right or wrong. We would thereafter move up to the .38/.357 guns doing the same thing. Worked like a charm with minimal frustration for both student and instructor. I would therefore say: a K frame sized DA .22 followed by a similar or identical gun in .38/.357. I have been shooting since 1959 and have the required safe full of guns; however, these are still the ones I use most and best. Make good choices and you won't need a big safe to hold all the guns you don't use.

------------------

Long Path

I have been impressed again and again by what an excellent first pistol my Browning Buckmark 6" standard has been since I received it as a gift on my 17th birthday, 11 years ago. I've been taking it out lately because it's too hot to bother shagging brass in the grass.

The Buckmark is EXTREMELY accurate, reliable, and all the controls are in the same place as in any 1911-style pistol. The sights are micro-adjustable, but very sturdy, and, while visible, are not at all ungainly. The triggers on these pistols are universally excellent, out of the box.

With such a setup, one can practice or teach pistolcraft easily, and hone valuable pistol skills cheaply. It's very, VERY good on the ego to spend an afternoon with the Buckmark, because you find yourself hitting everything you take aim at. Excellent pack pistol, with carbine accuracy. I've taught several to shoot with them.

All for a pistol that goes for well under $300 new.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited August 11, 1999).]

Mike Spight

Although the first handguns I can remember shooting were my Dad's and an Uncle's service revolvers (.38 Specials), I think Robert is on the money. Start with a .22...either a revolver or semi-auto. As Robert stated, w/the revolver, you can skip some cylinders and the coach can get a good look at what the shooter is doing right or wrong.

After the student begins to get comfortable with the wheelgun, you can move on to semis and try some centerfire rounds as well.

The .22 is a great way to learn the basics...low/no recoil and it's so cheap, you can shoot a ton!
Mike

Long Path

Re: skipping cylinders.

Good idea, but you can do virtually the same thing with semi-auto, by loading the magazines for them. Also, my Buckmark will chamber empty cases. Bang, bang, click! Did he flinch?

:)

JLee

I can't think of a better choice than a Browning Buckmark. If fact, we've always had more than one in our household. They are excellent learning tools, fun and cheap to shoot and very accurate. When my sister was thirteen she was using one to snipe closepins off the line at 7 yards. A great confidence builder that she took with her to her first apartment when she went off to school. Not the ultimate in self defense but my wife has choosen it as her other bedside partner since she feels confident that she can empty a magazine into a paper plate at 25 yards. At $225 new in these parts, the Buckmark just can't be beat.

chink

I think it depends on the person who is learning. I taught myself (still learning) how to shoot a pistol on my 1911A1, cuz I didn't want to look to bad at the range (damn thats not working) I don't have a problem with the recoil from the 45.
But one time my friend and I tool a couple girls out and they just loved my friends .22 target pistol, cuz it "didn't hurt to shoot it"

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

Greg Bell

Get a Ruger 22 (mk2). The gun cheap and the ammo is cheap. If you decide you want a big gun for self-defense you'll never regret the Ruger. Just don't sell it or trade it. After you buy a 9/40/45/ you'll appreciate the low cost of 22 ammo even more.

Then buy a P7.

Greg-o

bk40

I would suggest the S&W 66 revolver. Shooting reloaded 38 target loads is cheap and will not intimidate you with the recoil. Plus you have the capacity to use +P 38spl or 357mag ammo for defensive purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.