first "cowboy" gun and quick range report

omegapd

Hey All,

Stumbled across this little plinker yesterday and got it for a great deal.

GUN044.jpg

It's an older Heritage Rough Rider (.22LR only). I had been wanting something to pop cans with and the occasional squirrel and I think this will fit the bill well (read on, though).

Carried it with me to work yesterday and took a few minutes to throw about 50 rounds downrange. Freehand from about the 10 yard line I could put the best group under a quarter. The gun worked well, shot a touch under POA and for the money I can't complain much. I did notice that the barrel wiggles a touch left to right and I emailed Heritage today to see what they would do. If they can't fix it for free or for a reasonable price, I might see what some LocTite will do behind the forcing cone. Their parts list is very inexpensive and the website says they'll fix the gun and just charge for parts if it's out of warranty, but they don't specify a barrel on the parts price list.

Anyway, we'll see what they can do. As it is, it won't shoot the best groups because of the barrel but it still shot better groups yesterday than any other inexpensive gun I have in my collection. Cans up close will feel the pain but I wouldn't trust it to kill a squirrel from any type of distance until the barrel becomes stabilized.

I'll keep others informed of what Heritage has to say. Wish me luck! :D

EW

LAH

I used to plink with a H&R 9 shot that belonged to the family. Also have Dad's Iver Johnson Sealed 8. Cheap sixguns can be fun...........Creeker