First Center Fire 25-06 Savage 111 !!!

rcollier

I just purchased my first center fire rifle. I debated many options .243, .270 30-06 and 7mm mag. I am planning on hunting deer and coyote here in Mn
Maybe varmint or antelope out west in the future and would like to hunt elk at some point.
After doing a lot of reading and talking to friends who hunt I decided on the 25-06.
Very happy with it so far although I have only put 20 rounds thru it.

Any words of wisdom for a new shooter would be appreciated.

taylorce1

Enjoy the rifle first and foremost. The .25-06 is a little on the small end for elk but will work. Rifles are like Lays potato chips, you can't own just one! Buy a .308/.30-06 when it's time to hunt elk.

Blindstitch

It will be a good start. And later you can buy it friends.

If one gun was and end all be all I wouldn't be looking to buy another safe.

hooligan1

That's an accurate factory rifle right there now, had one myself. It liked 85 grn Btips, 115 grn partitions, and 110 accubonds too!!!
Happy shooting dude.

gman3

The 25-06 is a very fun cartridge to shoot. It is fast, accurate, and hits hard, one of my favorites. Lots of bang, not a lot of recoil. I have never seen an Elk, so I know nothing about hunting them, but I have shot a truckload of Deer with the 25-06, and it hits them like the hammer of Thor.

Good first choice for a cartridge. You won't be disappointed. Here in MN that cartridge will drop any game you encounter. I have one. I loaned it to my son two seasons ago. He shot a nice 6 point with it. This last Fall he left his 243 parked in his closet and asked to use my 25-06 instead. Again he took another nice buck this year also. North of Hibbing is where we two hunt. I hand load for that rifle so its near the speed of a 257 Weatherby with my loading of 100 gr bullets. Frankly if you intend to Elk hunt. Something bigger caliber wise would be good but not any better than a 25-06 is for accuracy. If your a accomplished shooter. Than a 25-06 will down anything fairly quick in the lower 48 other than a grizzly. One comment my son said about his using of my rifle that struck me funny: "Your rifle ain't no ladies gun like my 243 is dad. This things got some kick to it." The son weighs 215 lbs and is 6'1" the rifle he was shooting is a lightweight Remington Mountain Rifle. I kind of think he got spoiled shooting his Ruger Rd Top 243 over the years. Anyway getting back on point here. Buy a decent scope with good hardware for its mounting and start shooting some soup cans out at 300 or 400 yards for a challenge. Than go hunt something. What ever that 25-06 Savage is point at. When you pull its trigger your gonna smile. Again congratulation's on your first c/f purchase. You chose well. :)

98 220 swift

I really like the 25-06 my self. I had up till recently 3 of them (sold the varmint one didn't use it anymore). I also have a savage 110. It is very accurate. They work well on deer and coyotes. The 75gr vmax works well on coyotes. I like the 117 gr sierra game king or the 115 gr ballistic tip on deer. I have never shot a factory round of 25-06 so I cant help you there I reload for it. Its a great round to reload for and gives you more flexibility. Plus you can get some more fps out it.:rolleyes:

Jack O'Conner

My old high school buddy moved to Sundance, Wyoming back in the 1970's. He owns only one big game rifle - a Remington 700 in 25-06. He has taken over a dozen elk with this rifle and none got away. He used to own a featherweight 30-06 but didn't like getting kicked around by it.

Jack

My favorite hunting caliber. Good choice! Fast, hard hitting, not much recoil, what's not to like? If you are going to hand load, you can get plenty of input from this forum. :D

Mobuck

If you can find it, try the Remington 100 grain CoreLokt. VERY accurate in two of my Savage 25/06. Good performance on deer/coyote size animals.
My 110 FP in 25/06 shoots cloverleafs with this ammo.
Another 110 with an aftermarket barrel shoots this ammo well but prefers Sierra 100 grain BTSP(under 3/4" groups) and has killed a lot of deer and yotes with this bullet.
Nosler 115 BT is a good deer bullet if your barrel likes it. Nosler 110 AccuBond is a tough bullet better suited to elk as is the famous Partition(115 Partition gave full penetration on the only elk I ever shot with it).
I haven't shot any bullets under 100 grains.

Normally if that were to happen to a Remington new in the box bolt> Misfires. I would advise its owner to simply unscrew its firing pin assembly one full turn on its bolt body. But I have no experience with a Savage bolt body or know first hand how it and its firing pin is assembled.

Snyper

The last time I had misfires with a new gun, there was a "ball" of dried cosmoline in the firing pin hole

A shot of a good spray solvent, followed by a little oil can solve lots of things

rcollier

Did the primers go off? If not was there a firing pin dent?

The primer dented on all three but the round did not fire, I shot a box of twenty and seventeen went down range three did not. I looked at the spent rounds and the three duds and the primers were dented on all of them