First breakage on my G32.

KP95DAO

The slide lock spring broke yesterday. I have had it for 21 months and have put about 2000 357 Sig rounds and about 4000 40 S&W rounds (FAC bbl) through the gun. Does this seem normal or is there something I am doing wrong? Or am I the recipient of the occasional bad part?

Tecolote

6,000 will put wear and tear on all parts. I'd be concerned if you had the breakage at 100 rounds. BTW if you haven't already done it you should change your recoil spring to avoid excessive hammering of the frame. :)

KP95DAO

Tecolote,
I have a Wolf steel guide rod and two 24 lb springs that I use when shooting the 357 and a 20 lb Wolf, plus the original, for the 40. I have to use the original when shooting IDPA as anything heavier than the original is not allowed.
I have ordered the Glockmeister Emerg field spring kit to get the spring that broke and have everything else on hand should something else break.
What should I expect to go next?

jamestech

So a heavier spring could extend the life of your Glock?

What would be a good aftermarket spring for my G23?

Thanks

juliet charley

Glocks have some small parts that are prone to breaking. That is one of them. The trigger spring is another. Just hang out in some of the Glocktalk "Clubhouses" enough, and you will be surprised at all the threads or most than mention various small parts of Glocks breaking, but those guys seem to take in stride.

Tecolote

JC,

Every single auto has small parts that are prone to breakage, because guess what? Anything made by man will break at some point.

KP95DAO,

Sounds like you've got a great setup. I can't recommend anything better than what you've got already. :)

KSFreeman

No sweat. Usually first thing to go on a Glock. Good thing about Glock is that it is so mechanically brilliant that even I can fix it.

Good lesson learned about bugs and owning more than one of the same gun though.

juliet charley

Tecolote -

I don't recall saying anything otherwise (and basically KSFreeman echoed what I said). Are you trying to start or fight or something? Do you want to get the thread closed for some reason?

While some Glock small parts appear to have a shorter MTBF than other's small parts, Glocks are relatively easy to repair--one of Glocks' better points is a chimpanzee could probably detail strip it and reassemble it. There are some parts that: (1) you should keep a few spares, or (2) better yet replace them at regular intervals as part of routine maintenance just like you do recoil springs and magazine springs. In fact, just from a durability point of view, it makes good sense to replace the coil trigger spring with a NY1--I usually do so before ever shoot mine (and I like the trigger feel better with a NY1 YMMV).

Tecolote

JC,

Why on earth would I pick a fight with someone I don't know? but you didn't respond with just help you took one more jab at Glocks as you do in all your other responses. Yes, some parts break on Glocks, but no you won't find a lot of threads on any particular part breaking at unusual numbers. Can't we all just get along? :)

juliet charley

Tecolote -

You'll have to admit your first reply just didn't have a whole lot of "can't we all just get along" in it.

We could probably go around and around about it, but Glocks appear to have two or three small parts with a very short MTBF. I will cite the Glocktalk "Clubhouses" again, particularly "Big Dawgs," "Ten Ring," and the "Top Guns." (I'll admit you see a whole lot less of in "Niners.") If you spend any time at all on those forums, you'll be surprised about the number of these small parts they seem to break/replace regularly, and just take it stride. (If some the stuff they post over there was posted on TFL, there are some users that would absolutely crucify them--they can actually admit their guns kaboomed and talk about it without fear of tar and feathers.) Again, my advice is to accept it, make it routine to check/replace them--they are inexpensive and easy to replace. Why take a chance on a failure at critical moment?

(And if that is taking a jab a Glocks, you are a sensitive spirit!) :)