First big gun.

rcksil

OK I need a little advice; why else would I be here. I plan on buying a larger caliber since I only own a 22 pistol. I am looking at purchasing the HI POINT 40 S&W, because of the price. If I don’t like the caliber I have not lost much. Does anyone have any input, good or bad? BTW I live in California!

SGHOTH

I always recomend a 357 revolver for a first center fire pistol. Start with .38 specials and learn trigger control and accuracy. Work up to full power stuff as you are comfortable. If you can get a double action pistol it is a plus to practice double action trigger work.

A good used 357 revolver can be purchased for the same price as the high point (or less). The skills you learn with the revolver will translate to an auto later if desired.

Examples:
Ruger blackhawk - single action
Ruger Security Six - Double action
Smith and Wessons - lots of choices.

CarbineCaleb

I don't know the specifics of what is legal in CA, but two high quality inexpensive semiauto pistols are the Glock (any) and Springfield XD. I would get one of those, and go used if you need to still shave off some $. Plenty of used Glocks around, and some shops even have them factory refurbished for a few more dollars.

XavierBreath

I'm not in California and don't know their regulations, but I have one bit of advice. Buy quality. The ache of low quality lasts long after the sting of a higher price has disappeared.

I'm not saying HiPoint is low quality. If the quality meets your needs, then the HiPoint will do the trick. Don't buy it simply because it's less expensive though. They seem to be tough enough and reliable enough for beater gun use. Their resale sucks though, and there is no pride of ownership, at least not around other gunnies. I have one friend who keeps a HiPoint in his shop truck's toolbox. It bounces around with the monkey wrenches and chains and stuff. He cleans it with brake cleaner and lubes it with motor oil. It looks like hell boiled over and stuck on a stick. It goes bang everytime he pulls the trigger.

.40S&W is a tough round to start out shooting centerfire with. The recoil is sharp and snappy. I would recommend 9mm, or if a revolver suits you, .38spl. You will be much less frustrated.

The best way to buy quality on a budget is to buy used. This is where knowing your market and how to judge a gun's condition pays off. There are many links on the web and threads on this forum to assist you. Just ask and the links will be posted.

Finally, I, too, think a .357 or .38 revolver would be the perfect next gun. If you buy used and shop wisely, you can get a good S&W that will not depreciate. If you go .357magnum, you can shoot both .357 and .38spl from it. If the grips don't fit your hand, you can change them to some that do. Many new shooters discount the old S&W wheelguns. Many old shooters are buying them up like crazy. Think about that............

Mark54g

Xavier has a point

that and .38spl and 9mm are cheap and you will shoot more. Buying a good used gun is an option to consider.

Sturmgewehr-58

I would get a Bulgarian Makarov for $139.95 or a used S&W Mod 64 .38 for $229.95 from JGsales.com. I believe both are California legal, though you should do your research to be sure.

They also have used Glock Model 22s in .40 S&W and SIG Pro Model 2340 .40 S&W for $349.95 if you are looking for a .40 S&W.

Clone

rcksil,

i have a hi point 45acp thats built on the same frame as the 40s&w and its been a good gun. alot of people dont like them because of there looks or price but iv not had any malfunctions in the 1140 rounds iv put through it, and its accuracy is better than most higher priced guns that iv shoot. as a first big gun the only problem i would see is the disassembly, but after uv done it once though u get the hang of it.

Bullrock

I agree with SGHOTH. Also, you might try the auctions. I would recommend either GunBroker or AuctionArms. Shop carefully, ask the seller about the action, lock up, and usage. I purchased this Colt Trooper MKlll last night on GunBroker for $269.00. It's as good as it looks...with very little useage.
attachment.php

chris in va

Yup, stick with 9mm or 38's right now. You'll be shooting a LOT, and 9mm is the cheapest centerfire round you can buy.

Don't worry, later you'll get the itch for something more...interesting. :D

EDIT: Nothing wrong with a HiPoint. If you like it, get it. However, you can also find really good USED guns for just a tad more.

payne

Hi-Point is a decent gun. All my centerfires are 40 now. Glad I didn't start with it though. I had a 9mm for the first centerfire. I recomend the 9 for a first "big gun". The revolver isn't a bad idea, but if you want an auto get an auto. in regards to the platform, choose what you want. get comfortable with it and shoot it well. If you do get the Hi-Point. you may never shoot excellent with it but hey, It was my first "big gun" too because of the price. It never gave me a problem with relaibility. Had to do a good bit of adjusting for it to be accurate but it finally grouped pretty good.

Oh, after a few months with the hi-point i sold it to but my Springfield XD 40. So I no longer have my Hi-point. I like to think it server it's purpose in introducing me to pistols.

IM_Lugger

Hi Points :barf: Why?

Why not just save a couple of hundred dollars and buy something decent? I mean guns is not where you should economize :)

rcksil

Thanks

Well I hope I am going to be happy with my Ruger Blackhawk. I found a 6" model used for 300 and it is very clean! Now I have to figure out how to reload, but that is another forum!