First Auto: Glock 21?

Vek

I'm not sure I want one, but I think it would be wise to procure an automatic handgun in a substantial caliber (given the state of the union and my desire to be able to effectively protect myself). I like the idea of the 10mm, but I think I could get myself into shooting and reloading for a 9mm or a .45 for way cheaper. I've sort of ruled out the nine because I like the idea of making a big hole-easy to see at the range. Recoil/blast/flash is a non-issue (probably) as I've routinely shot full house 300 grainers (hard cast, 22.5 gr. 296...bark!) out of my SBH in the last year. I've got reasonably strong grip and arms. Soooo...

Does CZ make a .45? I like the look of the 75, and from what I've read here they're a quality piece. I also like the theory of the Glock 21, but wonder if I can't get into a CZ cheaper, and I really don't plan on torturing my weapon. Bottom line: fullsize, reasonably priced, reliable, reasonably accurate.

Looking forward to responses.

Thanks!

--Jerry V.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greetings- If money is no problem, then you may want to consider my favorite .45ACP; the Sig-Sauer P220A!!! :) :D

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Vek

Oh yeah, the Ruger is quite reasonable, isn't it. I've read that it's perhaps a bit crude, but dead-reliable and strong, if not ergonomically kosher. Accuracy? Comparable to the others mentioned? If I went Sig, I'd have to find one for a screaming deal, as I'm not made of money and not convinced that I can't get close to it in quality.

Getting there...

jimmy

Personally, I'd buy a G30 before a G21. IMHO the G30 is more flexible, because it is easier to conceal and gives up little to the G21 in terms of accuracy, reliability, and firepower. Also, not that the G30 grip is exactly small, but the G21 grip seems larger, which is fine for some people but not for others. It reminds me of the old S&W N-frame wooden target stocks, which were real hand-fillers.

My 1 1/2 cents.

I love BOTH my Glock 21 and Ruger P97. The Ruger is more gun for the money, but the Glock 21 has near match grade accuracy combined with low recoil and 13+1 round capacity (assuming you can get hi-caps). I think a Glock 21 is a great choice, as is a Ruger P97 (as other posters recommended).

I find the Glock 21 more accurate than the Glock 30 by the way.

7th Fleet

The Glock 21 is a great pistol, I have one and I highly reccommend them. Its hard to beat 14 rounds of .45acp.

killtard.gif

7th

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.

Edmund Rowe

My favorite handgun for defense and (concealed) carry is the Glock 21(s). I find I shoot a tad better/faster with the full-size 21 vs. the 30. How much better? at about 25 feet against 5 bowling pins I clear the table about 0.5 seconds faster consistently with the 21 compared to a 30. Not much difference, but it's there. Also, bulls eye accuracy with the 21 at longer ranges (out to 30 yards that I've shot) is better than with the 30.

I do have a 30 for specific concealed situations. My preferred choice is the 21. Well, nuts, if I have total preference I'm bringing an AR-15. :D

I love reloading .45 ACP. The fat components are easy to manipulate. Also, .45 ACP is very forgiving for differences in brass, bullet size, etc. (WARNING: do not get sloppy with reloading. Ka-booms are no fun)

I have had excellent reliability with my 21s. So my summary is, if it works for you, go for a 21!

Having said the good news with my 21(s), now let me describe the bad news: They are Large with a capital "L". concealed carry mandates a certain body size coupled with a very careful choice of wardrobe. The grips are big, and not everyone can shoot one comfortably. I wish the grip was smaller in circumference.

If you like buying accessories for a pistol, there aren't many for a Glock compared to a 1911.

The trigger takes some getting used to. If you are used to a 1911, then going to a Glock takes some practice. Going from a Glock to a 1911 is a snap, IMHO.

Edmund

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Vek, think about used guns. It opens up the kinds of guns you can look for by a considerable margin. I am also not made of money, but this year I've purchased a SIG 220 and an HK USP 45. Both seem to be world-class guns (I'm on my way out to shoot the HK for the first time after dry-firing all weekend) and both were good deals, IMHO, for around $500. That's what you'll spend on the CZ or a Glock 21; in fact, the G21 is higher than that new around here. A pistol like the Glock, SIG or HK doesn't really drop in usefulness from from the first year or so of normal use, just in price. My Sig has a little bit of holster wear on the outside, but hasn't hiccuped in over 1000 rds fired since August.
I thought I got a really rare deal on the SIG, but it turns out to be a good one that I've seen duplicated in several places and bettered in two. You can do the same thing. Ask to have the gun stripped and look for wear on the outside of the barrel and anyplace else you can. If the wear is not bad inside, who cares about the outside? A year later you can save up $150 and have it reblued, and suddenly you've got the appearance too.

I would guess you can find a P220 for around $450 before shipping, FFL, etc. Somewhere around $500 out the door, which is comparable to a new CZ. I want the CZ and haven't handled it, so I can't say the P220 is definitely a better gun, but I can tell you that if it had as many options and controls as the HK does I probably wouldn't have bought another .45. When I do get a "CZ," it will probably be a Witness copy in 10mm. Hope all this rambling helps.

jtduncan

Vek:

You've gotten some good advice here for many of the above. But here are my puts from a once active gun trader.

CZ and Ruger make great guns for the money. But resale may be an issue especially with the Ruger. Not that you're planning on dumping the 45 within month but it happens.

The Sig 220 and HK USP 45 are great guns. The Sig P220 is known to be one of the most accurate and reliable 45s out there. I know - I've shot .5" groups at 50 yards on an outdoor course with mine.

Last week I shot my range's USP 45 and was really impressed with the workmanship, quality, and the 1911 style controls. And the polymer frame absorbed the recoil quite well. But it was moderate in the accuracy department.

The EAA Witnesses are in the same class as the Ruger but European in design with European style hi-vis sights. Well-engineered but accessories and parts are a problem. But the .22lr conversion kit is a big plus. You'll just have to admit that you own a gun that is made by guys who use bikini-clads honies to sell their guns. But still another value gun.

Finally, the 45 Glocks. If you go to GlockTalk and ask the question, the resounding answer with be G30. I went through the same analysis 2 years ago. The G30 is widely reported to be Glock's most accurate gun bar none. It is a subcompact to compact size and accepts the G21's hi-cap mags. The only down side is that they hate semi-wadcutters.

If you must shoot semi-wadcutters, then I'd say get the G21 otherwise the grips are almost identical and you actually have a 45 that is versatile enough to go CCW to IPSC.

And the accessories and parts availability is killer with the Glocks.

But the bottom line is you can buy a used G21 or G30 with a pair of 10-rounders for $399. Saw one last week.

Get the Glocks or the Sig P220. There is a reason why people talk about them so much. Otherwise get a nice Kimber 1911.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG