First AR. Windham Weaponry's AR in 7.62x39 for $784

TennJed

I picked up my first centerfire AR. A Windham SRC in 7.62x36. I got it for $784 shipped plus $20 fee. Seems like a good price from what I can tell. I am aware some people have had feeding problems with ARs in 7.62x39. I am also aware some people do not and from what I can tell the ACS mags have the best rep so I picked up 3 extra.

I already have a SKS and an AK and a nice stash of 7.62 ammo so I figured why not give it a try. I have been wanting an AR, and it seemed like a good fit for me.

I read a lot of reviews of the AR in 7.62x39 and I have seen the good reviews as well as the bad ones, so I feel like I kinda know what I am getting into in general, but I did not see many reviews for the Windham in particular. It is a fairly new offering.

So does anyone have any experience with this gun? How do you like Windham Weaponry in general

Mobuck

I don't have any problems with the C-Products mags. Like was said-get plenty of mags while you can. Make sure you have at least 2-3 10 rounders for bench shooting and/or hunting. Those long curved mags aren't the best for sand bagged bench resting(or even carrying around for that matter).
Before going too far, make sure you know the bore diameter of your 7.62x39. I had one that was .308 and ended up trading it for a .311 so that now, both mine are the same-.311.

Gunfixr

Wyndham weaponry is run by the folks that worked at bushmaster when it was bought out by freedom group. Freedom groups first order of business was to move bushmaster, and the employees did not wish to relocate. They had to wait, due to a non-competition clause, but then opened their own company, Wyndham weaponry. It is an employee owned company.
They are using some better materials in their rifles than bushmaster was. But, I have not seen one of their 7.62 rifles.
A big part of the reliability problem is that the ar platform is not designed to feed a cartridge with the amount of taper that the 7.62x39mm round has, and the changes that need to happen cannot without a major redesign of the platform. So, workarounds are tried, with varying results.

doofus47

C-products are the best mags.
Also, depending on the aggressiveness of your feed ramps, you might end up dremelling a bit more ramp into your lower. I had a lip between my mag and the bottom of the ramp on my Bushmaster lower. It was fine with FMJ and most hollow point rounds, but it would inevitably hang when feeding the large soft points that I used for hunting. I had to even that out, but it's been flawless since.

TennJed

C-products are the best mags.
Also, depending on the aggressiveness of your feed ramps, you might end up dremelling a bit more ramp into your lower. I had a lip between my mag and the bottom of the ramp on my Bushmaster lower. It was fine with FMJ and most hollow point rounds, but it would inevitably hang when feeding the large soft points that I used for hunting. I had to even that out, but it's been flawless since.
Is C products different than ACS? I am new to ARs so sorry for the dumb question