first .44 mag suggestions

rickdavis81

I'm planning to purchase a .44mag revolver for my next pistol. I'm wanting DA/SA, stainless and somewhere around a 6 inch barrel. Would like to be able to mount optics also. I'm looking at a Ruger SuperRedhawk very seriously. I have other Rugers and like their pistols. But I'm open to other options. Any suggestions on other quality brands? Dan Wesson? Some of my shooting buds say they've shaken the screws loose on S&W's with full power loads but since Ruger is a solid design it holds up. Open to all ideas and opinions. I hope I'm not opening to big of a can of worms.
Thanks

Smaug

Stick with Ruger

The Super Redhawk isn't made in a 6" version. You'd have to have it cut down professionally.

The Redhawk, however, is made in a 5.5" version, both in blued & stainless which is about perfect, IMO. I had an 8-3/8 S&W 29 (44 Mag) before, and it was a bit much.

The Redhawks have a slightly different trigger mechanism than the Super Redhawks, and have better triggers as a result. In the SA trigger, there isn't much difference, but in DA, there's a big difference. Super Redhawks are easily tuned to lighten the DA pull though. I'm not a big fan of the huge frame where the barrel threads in on the SRHs. It just looks clunky.

I found an 1983 Ruger Redhawk Hunter with the 7.5" barrel. It is at Ruger now, getting re-barreled in the 5.5".

Dan Wessons are getting more and more rare; I'd be concerned about parts support down the line. They're said to be good revolvers though.

S&W are good revolvers, but being basically a 100+ year old design, they don't hold up to the quantity or power of shooting that a lot of us do.

Here's my Redhawk Hunter, before I sent it to Ruger:

redhawk3bw.jpg

redhawk4bw.jpg

redhawk8bw.jpg

redhawk9bw.jpg

Here's Ruger's stock photo of their 7.5" Super Redhawk:
56L.jpg

See how clunky that frame looks where the barrel threads in? Yuck. (just my opinion though)

Michaelm45

Heres one ready to go

S&W 629-1
8 3/8 barrel
Leupold M8 2X scope
Leupold mounts
MagNaPorted
Like new in Box
DSCN0543.jpg

I'm going to put up for sale soon. Let me know if interested.

Last edited:

jbaldwin

+1 for a Dan Wesson. I have one and love it. Having a Dan Wesson gives you the ability to change barrels depending on your need. Also parts are available from CZ\Dan Wesson. If you are Interest in more info check out www.danwessonforum.com.

Majic

If they shook the screws loose they were already loose. Smith And Wessons' are fine revolvers.
Yes the S&W is a fine revolver but they have been known to shoot loose. Generally the heavy recoiling loads are the culprits but some folks have found standard .44 magnum rounds to also cause the problem.

batmann

Hard to go wrong with any Ruger, but a SRH w/7.5" BBL is a pretty good handgun. I you want something a little more 'main stream' go with a Redhawk, but make sure it has the scope cut outs in case you do want a scope.

T. O'Heir

Buy the one that fits your hand best. Go to your local shop and try a few on for size. The SRH is a great big revolver, but the grips are made for normal sized hands.

rickdavis81

Whats the differences between the Super Redhawk and the Redhawk? I was under the impression the Super Redhawk was quite a bit stronger. Do most Redhawks not have scope mounts? And am I going to lose much going 5.5" instead of the 7.5" barrel? Thanks

Smaug

The Super Redhawk has the extended frame with provisions for (included) Ruger scope rings. This is said to be a more rigid scope mounting system than any other revolver's. The SRH also has a cushioned grip that wraps around the grip peg to help absorb recoil. With the Redhawk one has to go to the aftermarket to get the wrap-around grip. (mine's got the Pachmayr)

The Super Redhawk uses the two spring system that the GP-100 and SP-101 use. The lockwork is about identical.

The Redhawk uses "a single spring for a relatively lighter trigger pull." (that from Ruger's website.

Basically, the SRH is a dedicated hunting handgun. The barrel's too long for anything besides hunting or target shooting.

The RH is their more all-around gun.

The SRH is supposedly stronger, but the main reason they extended the frame was so that scopes could be mounted to the frame, instead of the barrel. (Bill Ruger didn't like the idea of barrel-mounted scopes, since barrels have some "whip" to them.)

laytonj1

S&W are good revolvers, but being basically a 100+ year old design, they don't hold up to the quantity or power of shooting that a lot of us do.
You know, I've owned several S&W 44 mags and never had a problem with any of them. No shooting screws loose or otherwise. And I've shot some pretty heavy 300gr. loads in them. S&W improved the endurance of their 44 mags 20 years ago with several engineering changes.
On the other hand, my two Ruger Super Blackhawks in 44 mag have both broke. One sheared the ejector rod housing screw sending parts flying and the other would constantly lock up from the cylinder pin moving forward under recoil.
In fact, I believe you're the poster who recently had a Redhawk/Super Redhawk barrel break and fall off while shooting.
My reply to the OP is buy which ever 44 mag catches your eye. Unless your willing to spend the money for a Freedom Arms, they are all pretty much equal.

Jim

Stainz

First, let's be accurate. The SRH was developed as a stronger gun - with a vastly improved lockwork, which it shares with the GP100 - and, in a smaller size, the SP101. One reason for it's development was the bad history early .44M RH's had - of launching their barrels. A manufacturing process/lube change fixed that - but the stronger SRH, which the later .454 Casull & .480 Rugers used, admittedly with a steel change, was insurance. As to their size... a 7.5" .44M SRH weighs one ounce less than a 7.5" .44M RH. The SRH comes with an ergonomically designed grip, the RH came with a big wood grip - okay for .45 Colts, nasty for hot .44Ms.

I've had many a Ruger, including a 5.5" .45 RH - all gone now, save a Ruger Old Army cap & ball. The only Ruger I still look at - and consider re-buying - is a 7.5" .454 SRH. The SRH's also have the scope mounted to the frame only, a la S&W - I like that. The poor QC on many of my new Rugers earned them time in my workshop - not the RH - it went back to Ruger. The long trigger pull of the single spring lockwork and the sloppy ejector star made my .45 RH quickly become someone else's toy.

I am a S&W lover - discovering them after many a Ruger. Their revolvers are fine - and will offer a long service life with SAAMI-spec'd ammo. If you need something hotter, get a hotter caliber. Consider the 'real' differences - compare size to size - they weigh very close to the same. Consider that S&Ws are hammer-forged, machined, and heat treated, not cast then machined.

If you want a true 6" .44 Magnum, get a new one - below is a current production SKU #163606 6" 629 I have owned for 3+ years since new. It has all of the 'endurance enhancements' S&W has developed over the years, too. Sure, I've had loose screws - but I regularly take the yoke/cylinder off to clean - the whole sideplate, too - and I have resprung all of my 'play' revolvers (Dedicated CCWs remain stock.). I know how to tighten screws - and carry a screwdriver in my range bag (The strain screw loosens on all S&W's - once you've had it out. Blue Loctite will secure it.). Oh - one improvement from the Ruger camp - insulating that backstrap, a la the SRH, helps with the 629's recoil - thus mine sports the Hogue .500 Magnum grips available from S&W Accessories ($35 - standard equipment on .460/.500 Magnums - one size fits K/L/N&X-frames.).

IMG_0611.jpg

Stainz

3-fitty-7

i have a 29-2 in 8 3/8" blue and love it but i haven't shot it much yet so i can't say how well it will stand up later on but it is from 1980 and was a shooter befire i got it. i did have to replace the pachys that came on it with hogues and the cylinder latch doeasn't eat my hand up anymore. i was thinking about adding another anaconda to my collection as my other is in .45colt and i don't reload and .44 mag is cheaper than .45 around here. good luck with the choice, if i had no spending limit i'd go with freedom arms.

john1911

I like Rugers as well, except the SRH. IMO, they're ugly. I would (and did) go with the RH over the SRH based solely on eye appeal.

44 AMP

Staff
S&W M29 is a classic

And the original. The standard all others must meet, or surpass, and considering that other DA .44 mags were designed after 20 or more years of seeing the S&W Model 29 work, they ought to surpass it in some aspects.

Some of my shooting buds say they've shaken the screws loose on S&W's with full power loads

The screws on a model 29 can loosen up. The cure is simple. Tighten them. I don't mean tighten them to 400lbs of torque like a gorilla, just check them for tightness on a regular basis. Make it a part of your pre-use checks, just as you check the barrel for obstructions. Routine maintenance. You can glue them in with a Loctite product (I find "Guntite" works well), and you will have less trouble, but you don't need to if you just check them once in a while. It is vibration that loosens the screws, and the model 29 is now at the bottom end of the size range for DA .44mags, it vibrates more than they do. So you need to check it more often. It is NOT a design flaw, just something that happens more to the .44s than lesser calibers. If your gun has screws, they can loosen.

roklok

Redhawk gets my vote. I have the stainless 5.5 inch version and love it. I bought this after having a lot of problems with a 629 Classic S&W. The Redhawk is HEAVY duty, not quite as refined as the S&W, but will stand up to extensive use with heavy loads, including Garretts 330 grain Hammerhead loads, which are a no go for Smiths. I handload, but for hiking around in the bush I prefer Garretts 330gr load for bear protection.