First 22lr

Hi there.

My girlfriend wants to get herself a new gun.
She has an air rifle at the moment but wants to buy a 22lr.

I've told her that i think a savage or CZ 452 would be good, but shes convinced that in order to get something decent she needs an Anschutz 1710!
(shes a pom if that has anything to do with it).

What would you recomend?
It'd be for hunting purposes mainly, nothing i cant do with my Remmy 597 or my dads Norinco jw 15.

Thanks all

Woodencardboard

My first pick would be a marlin model 60, cheap, accurate, wonderful guns overall. If a semiauto isn't of intrest a savage mkII is my second pick. I have one that will shoot coke bottle caps at 75 yds all day long.

Jezz

My money is with the CZ. Very nice fit and finish, and with out spending $500 or so extra u cant really beat the accuracy it off. I have the 452 American and it will shoot a raged 1 hole group at 50m with high velocity Winchester power points.

Scorch

I would rank them this way (for a hunting rifle):
#1- CZ 452- Excellent accuracy out of the box, good stock ergonomics, but buy the adjustable trigger model. Price is very good here in the US, don't know about where you are.
#2- Remington 504- Most people agree that this is the best 22LR rifle Remington has ever made. You will have to look on the used market for it.
#3- Ruger 77/22- Good accuracy, good strong design. Triggers are a bit rough, but can be fixed pretty easily with a Wolff spring kit or a Rifle Basix trigger kit.
#4- Remington 541T or 541S- Great shooter, nice looking rifle, great trigger, but you will have to look on the used market for one.

And then the "also-rans"
Savage- great shooter, but absolutely ugly.
Marlin- good shooter, but looks like a high school project.

shes a pom if that has anything to do with it
Cute little bit of wordplay there. And just what exactly is a "pom"?

Evan Thomas

Heck, if she can afford the Anschutz, why not go for it? :D

Otherwise, you're on the right track, thinking CZ or Savage -- especially if she's more interested in hunting than in punching paper.

mxsailor803

scorch has some very good model recommendations. but i would also like to throw out a couple:

1. Remington 550 (or 550A) - a classic that has that "fullsize rifle feel"

2. Savage MK 2 - extremely accurate although not nearly as big of following as the classic ruger 10/22.

3. Savage 64F - a cheaper model auto that with the proper scope (mine has a BSA .22 Sweet) is a very good woods rifle.

jsimmons

Tell her unless she's competing, an Anshutz is more rifle than she needs. Besides that, a properly prepped CZ-452 will more than compete with the Anshutz with regards to accuracy. I have to 452's, and they're tack drivers.

Sorry about the pom thing.
Im from New Zealand and its what we call English people.
Pom, Pome, Pohm same thing means Prisoner of Her Majesty/ Prisoner of Mother England

rtpzwms

How about something in between? Take a look at the Browning Buckmark rifle:

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...lag_=004B&catalog_=B&content=Buck-Mark-Rifles

I have one for my wife and she loves it. It has smaller grips for her small hands and fits her very well. I put a red dot on it and its a blast at the range. Very accurate with or without the red dot. When we take it with friends its the most used of any of the firearms. I have the sporter model and I understand that the target model is more accurate. I have no way to prove it but I would love to find out.

pgdion

My first choice is the Marlin 795. Good decent gun, semi-auto, takes 10 and 15 round steel clips. It's synthetic (durable and light), can be had in black or stainless barrels, and can be found for under $100 sometimes if you can find a sale + Marlin rebate. A really good gun. Runners up for me would be some of the Savage products (they have a really nice bolt action .22), and the Ruger 10/22 is also good (but also heavy and more expensive than the Marlin's and the Savage).
If she likes that one then get her to try the marlin 982vs. .22Magnum, bolt action, stainless barrel, fiber optic sights. :D

Scorch

Sorry about the pom thing.
Im from New Zealand and its what we call English people.
That makes sense. An Irish friend of mine used to call English people BBS (Brutal Bloody Saxons).