First 1911

xMINORxTHREATx

Tax season is coming up, and being the 100 year anniversary of the 1911, I think I'm going to buy my first. :D

So this one is for all the 1911 junkies out there, what would you suggest?

Here is what I'm looking for:

Something I can CCW (not necessarily a compact)
Something that I can use in IDPA (Custom Defensive Pistol class) and not be lightyears behind the competition
Something in the middle of the pack, I don't want a Llama, but I don't want to spend $1800 on a Dan Wesson Valor either. (Ok, I WANT to, but financially I can't. :D)
I would prefer a 4 or 5 inch slide.
I really like two-tone (black and stainless) combinations, or all black. Not a fan of fully stainless guns. Too flashy. Satin stainless or nickel isn't too bad.
Novak style sights
Having a rail or not doesn't make a difference to me on a 1911, I almost would prefer to not have one.

I've considered two things. Buying a 1911 for $700-900 dollars and that being that. Or buying a $400 dollar gun and letting a gunsmith go to town on it, and make it what I want. New barrel, trigger work, grips, smoothing surfaces, etc.

So what do you guys think? Lets hear it, I'm all ears.

pilpens

Springfield Champion.
Springfield Loaded.
STI Trojan.
Would be the first 3 I would look at.
I have been happy with my Kimber Custom II. Reliable and Accurate.

WC145

S&W SW1911 ES or PD

108310_01_md.jpg

11747.jpg

Last edited:

Oldjarhead

Being the old history buff and sentimentalist I am, if I was buying my first 1911, it would be one of the WWI type reproductions from Colt. If you just want a good carry gun, and not break the bank, get a Colt, Springfield Armory, Dan Wesson, or Kimber.

If money is no object, go Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or Nighthawk. Either way, once you get a 1911, you will know why it has lasted a hundred years. The genius of John Moses Browning.

Iron Man

I have two Colts and two Taurus 1911s. The Taurus I have in .45 acp and .38 super. The Taurus is not a bad weapon at all. It is the only Taurus I will buy. Here is a photo of my pistol in black and stainless along with a few reviews on the pistol.

1911DT.jpg

Review One
Review Two
Review Three

RichK

I have 2 Colts and a Kimber TLE II. The kimber is a 5" and the Colts are a MK IV and a Commander in stainless. The Commander is a daily carry piece.

OJ

Quantrill

Posts: 679 Get the real thing, buy a Colt. Colt is the only one celebrating a true 100 year anniversary.

Add me to that - My Series 70 Models - top one original made in 1970 - $800 and bottom one second generation made since 2002 (low serial number & I bought it in 2006) $900.

IMG_2401.jpg

As they came from factory except for Kings Hardballer larger sights and Gunsite low mount thumb safeties. Both have shot several thousand rounds without any need to repair - though, on second thought, I did install extra strength firing pin springs and titanium firing pins after the firing pin stop slid down on the original (locking the action up) - still using the collet bushing, however.

I shoot every week, weather permitting, and alternate carrying one or the other every week - clean both every month or six weeks - or so. :rolleyes:

Works for me -

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

I hafta agree with Quantrill,,,

Get the real thing, buy a Colt. Colt is the only one celebrating a true 100 year anniversary.

I'm a sentimental softie about stuff like that.

Or, try and find an authentic military surplus piece by any manufacturer,,,
Mine is an old relic that I'm not even sure the gun is safe to shoot,,,
But it was carried by my Poppa's brother in 3 beach landings,,,
That Ithica 1911 will always have a place in my cabinet.

Just ramblin' on,,

Aarond

erob3

Don't want to start a caliber war but you may want to consider a 1911 in
9mm. Easier recoil, cheaper ammo at the range and good ammo available for self defense. Also, you seemed to express an interest in Dan Wesson. I saw a used but excellent condition Dan Wesson PM9 for sale the other day - just type that in on google and go thru a few pages, if it's still available you will find it. Guy was wanting $900 OBO I believe. Also, CZ is again offering Dan Wesson PM9 on a limited basis (it was discontinued in 2010), heck of a pistol.

xMINORxTHREATx

I'm wanting to stick with a .45 so I can use it in the CDP class in IDPA, I have a pistol for my ESP class.

I would like to buy a Kimber or DW but I'm probably going to have to go with an entry level pistol from Taurus, or Springfield or something. I just re-evaluated my funding. :( I'm not going to get back as much as I was hoping. A S&W one would be nice too. Match my M&P. lol

I've also considered getting a Rock Island Armory and some work done to it.

erob3

If you look hard enough you can pick up a Springfield Mil-Spec ss for mid
$600, mine has been great. My RIA 1911 9mm Tactical has been a great shooter for the money, I've also heard that their equipment used to make their pistols is old Colt machinery. Can't swear to it though. Also, I can make no other comment about this gun other than to look into the Remington R1, from what I have read it's supposed to be a good pistol and it's under $600. Hope that helps.