Firing Rifled Slug Through Adjustable Choke?

RedBowTies88

I've done this many times without issue, I just adjust the choke down to cylinder before hand. My guy at the LGS however just informed me that I was probably damaging the choke?

Does that sound accurate? It's never caused an issue before :confused:

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
When round balls were common,so were Polychokes, etc. Withthe thing cranked down, some cases of the petals breaking off when firing punkin balls happened.

With modern Forster style slugs, it deosn't seem to. No input on Brenekkes.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Only adjustable choke I have is on my old bolt action Mossberg Model 183KE .410 and it's cranked down to F. I see no damage and it shoots slugs as good at Full as it did any other setting. But that's only one gun, your mileage may differ.

G.T. Smith

I once had a 20 gauge Mossberg with the poly choke and I would screw the choke all the way out but not off. I have a Mossberg 500 now with the screw in chokes and the recommended choke for that is the improved cylinder, which is what I use and it shoots 3" federal Hi-Shok rifled slugs very well.
gordon:)

G.T.Smith...

define "very well".

Like 3 inch , 3 round groups at 50 yards? 75 yards? 100 yards? Beyond 100 yards?

It has to be a smooth bore, right?

What kind of sights is it equipped with?

Last edited:

RedBowTies88

3-4" at 50 yards. front and rear bead sights 26" barrel. its a winchester 1200

Im not the greatest shot and i suppose with better sights and shooter it would do better