Firing Pin Bushing Removal 686

BeeKay

I bought a NEW S&W 686+ a few months ago - It's a 686-6.
And when i got it home I noticed that the firing pin bushing (or cup) was slightly bulged on the front surface and it seems like it functions OK but it sort of bugs me.
At first I thought I'd stone it flat, but then I saw that a replacement is inexpensive, so I ordered one and I figured I'd replace it.

So it looks like it's a press fit and it pushes in from the front, and removes using a punch from the back..
Also I expected it to be tight, since there isn't any positive retention system.
And yes - It's tight.

What is the correct way to remove and replace that part?

It seems smart to ask before I damage anything.

Thanks

44 AMP

Staff
I bought a NEW S&W 686+ a few months ago - It's a 686-6.

What is the correct way to remove and replace that part?

S&W warranty service. :D

New gun, under warranty, have them do the work.

That being said, if it does not interfere with the function, then it might simply be a cosmetic issue. S&W would be the one to determine that, and repair it, if it is out of spec.

OR, you can do it yourself, possibly screw something up, possibly void your warranty and wind up having to pay for it all yourself.

I would contact S&W with description of the issue (photos??) and see what they say before doing ANY work, or buying any parts.

BeeKay

Warranty work is a pain.
I guess I'll try to send them a pic and see what they say
But for now I'm just asking around to see what other guys say.
For all I know it's designed like that, but if it is designed like that it's the first time I've ever seen a breech face that isn't FLAT.
So far nobody else has said anything.

Thanks for any replies