Firing line member hunts s-africa

lt dan

I dont know if this is a first for the Firing Line but it is a first for me.

in june of 08 i received a private message on the Firing Line forum. this happened after i made a post on a topic and Mark from the USA saw i was from S-Africa. he simply asked in the private message if there was hunting opportunities in my region. we sent a couple of messages back and forth.

eventually we started sending each other hunting pictures of the latest hunts.

mark asked me to get him a quote on a local hunt(this was now early 2009). i revered him to a website of a local hunting lodge and ph, that caters for usa hunters. he received the quote and mailed it to me. the pricing on this quote was ridiculous.

mark asked if a know anybody else. i talked to a local ph and gave him some back ground on the situation as it stands. the ph said i should ask mark what kind of a safari mark wants. for example what he wants to shoot and where and at what time of the year. mark replied promptly and Benton(the ph) started to put together a quote that was in line with what mark wanted.

it seemed that as soon as i mailed back Benton's quote mark replied and said he was in. Benton's pricing made it possible for mark to bring along his son(mark jnr) to hunt as well.

from here on things started happening very fast. as soon as the ph had a quote ready for mark jnr i received a mail from mark saying he bought the tickets for the flight to S-Africa. to say i was stunned is a understatement.

i phoned the ph and he came to my office where i showed him the e-mail about the plane tickets, and i wanted to know in no uncertain words how fast he would be able to arrange what still needs to be finalised. he simply smiled and said that everything was already arranged.

at this time everything was still a pie in the sky feeling. i mean here i meet somebody on the net and now i am going to meet him? it seemed unreal.

by this time mark and i spoke on the phone about three times and so did the ph.

mark asked me in a mail if he could bring me something from the states. there was only one thing i wanted: a copy of the latest Guns and Ammo magazine. i thought this appropriate since mark and me met on the firing line forums which belong to Guns and Ammo. i am proud to say that i have in my possession the june 2009 copy with the Stag Arms 7 in 6.8 SPC on the front page. mark also gave me a lot of other gifts that i will use on my next hunt.

mark arrived on the 1 june but i only met him a week or so later, by that time mark his son and the ph were well acquainted and the pictures they had showed of a the trip that was already a success.

i took mark wart-hog hunting on the spots i usually hunt myself and of which i have mailed mark some pictures of wart-hogs. we saw about 15 hogs but got no opportunity to shoot. all of this was however only to keep mark busy as the ph was organising a hell of a party seeing as this was marks birthday.

we had a good party and about 20 people in all attended and Benton(the ph) presented mark with a framed picture of the trophy gemsbok that mark shot. we had a full sized lamb(sheep) on the fire. the rest of the night are a closed book but it is safe to say that the local law enforcers who partied with us did not make it in time for the next days shift.

if i am not mistaken mark and son come over to hunt 8 heads of game and left having taken 26, most of which are of the best specimens i have ever seen.

mark used a 325 wsm and i went along when he shot the eland. by this time it was obvious that mark and his son were experienced hunters and good rifleman. he took the eland with a difficult shot( at least i thought it was difficult). neither mark nor the 325 struggled with the eland.

i have a couple of pictures and will try to post a few.

in the first picture it is from left to right:Mark jnr; myself; Mark and Benton the ph. marks bday party on the banks of the Vaalrivier.

Attachments

• DSC01657.jpg
    DSC01657.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC01685.jpg
    DSC01685.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01692.jpg
    DSC01692.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
so what liquor will I be drinkin' at a party if I bring Jr. on a SA birthday party hunt....
Brent

VaFisher

Sounds like all went better then expected and loads of fun. I will have to do the same in the near future if I could get some decent pricing like it sounds you did in this case. Glad all went well!

lt dan

hogdogs, there is really only one kind of liquor to drink then and it is brandy and coke. our new american friends are now big fans.

vafisher, the pricing is not the difficult part, making a mental shift to actually come here seems to be the big thing

VaFisher

Yea I can see where it would make a difference for sure. My mental picture said it's in the near future if the money problems don't stand in the way. In fact we have a Lt. Dan here that's a personal freind that I may be able to bring along being he is retiring soon, will keep you in mind when the time get's right. Thanks for the posting!

m.rehme

Pictures of the hunt

If it wasn't for this forum I would have never met LT DAN and probably never made the trip to South Africa.

I put together some of the pictures, it was a truly a hunt of a lifetime but we are already making plans on the next trip.

I will be the agent here in the US for Benton so if you have any questions feel free to contact me, I now know what it takes to carry guns and ammo over and back, what to do about calling home and taking care of the trophies when you are done.

http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/MRehme/?albumview=slideshow
OR -http://s617.photobucket.com/albums/tt252/MRehme/

The South African people are the best of the best!

Thanks,
Mark

VaFisher

Thanks for sharing the pick's, some very interesting like the little Steinbuck is about as cool looking as they come.

flyguyskt

so how many animals did you take? and if its not too rude how much$$$

i have been looking into a safari for about a year now and almost bit the bullet last month with a cabelas hunt.

i would like to hunt just plains game. none of the 5

m.rehme

We took 26 head of game, I haven't totaled up the cost but it was a lot but it was for for 17 days and there was two of us.

A short hunt with 5-6 animals shouldn't be much different than a trophy Deer or Elk hunt here in the states.
You would have airfare but the way I look at it you would have travel expenses traveling here in the states that could make that part a wash.

I am the agent here in the States for Benton Davies and will have current pricing probably yet today.

Mark

flyguyskt

I have found 10 trophy animal hunts all inclusive for 10 days in the 6000$usa.
airfare is not included. 1 on 1 guide- hunter.

from kudu size down.

in my book that is way cheaper than an elk hunt! 1 animal for 4-15 grand! depending on size.

m.rehme

My taxidermy costs will be a chunk, luck I can pay 30% down and the balance when they are ready to ship in 20 months.
Mark

m.rehme

so what liquor will I be drinkin' at a party if I bring Jr. on a SA birthday party hunt....
Brent

The unofficial South African drink---
Brandy and Coke!!! Good stuff.
I carried back 4 bottles with me bought at the duty free shop in joberg airport.
Mark