Firestorm 45 Auto (help)

RON 1

I have a chance to buy a firestorm 45 auto like new in box for $200 out the door but I am not familiar with this gun it is in new cond and has a satin chrome frame and blue slide the gun seems very well finished and fitted . any of you guys know anything about this gun ....thanks RON

Duke

RON 1

I work in a gunshop in southeast New Mexico. We have ordered Firestorms for several customers. These guns turned out to be a POS. They have been sent back several times for FTF and FTE. I would stay away from it if you can. Check your local shops and try to find a used Colt, Kimber, or Springfield.

We will not order anymore Firestorms and try to steer our customers to another brand.

Hope this helps.

Long live the 1911
Molon Labe:)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Most Firestorm stories I've heard are horror stories, and I'd recommend staying away from them unless you just have some bucks to blow and are feeling curious and slightly masochistic.

The one funny story was a guy I know of whose main IPSC limited gun was in the shop and so he bought a Firestorm on a lark and showed up with it for the local weekly match. The gun perversly decided to work flawlessly, and he scored significantly better than he ever had with his tricked-out ParaOrd P16.40 race gun. Go figure... :confused:

P

PreserveFreedom

I have a FireStorm Compact 45. It is the dual tone model and it was $300 new. I have had no problems and it has become my most carried piece lately. I'd jump on it for $200.

Glockster35

I wonder if this is a case of the old versus the new.

Maybe Firestorm has their act to gether now, and their guns are better now than ever before.

If you buy one, please give us an honest evaluation of it.

I too have a chance to get one, for relatively cheap, but am staying away because I haven't heard much on the company.

RON 1

I will give a honest opinion on the gun ,and I think I will take buy it ,heck $200 out the door for a like new in the box all steel 2 tone 1911 with a lifetime warrenty. I have spent that much on a evening out with a good looking woman and got nothing in return, so if it is junk and I get burned it wont be the first time.......and I can say I have been disapointed before.

P

PreserveFreedom

I have spent that much on a evening out with a good looking woman and got nothing in return
That's a great philosophy. I use that a lot, especially in Las Vegas. if I sit down and drop $40 at a table, I think of it as an hour worth of entertainment. What would an hour in a quality night club cost me? ;)

Snowdog

Yes, Zundfolge, I believe you're correct.

I bought a Llama Mini-Max at a gunshow for $249 NIB about a year ago. Beside the Llamas were the Firestorms... a PPK clone in .380acp and 1911s in both .38super and .45acp. I was told the same thing, it's only a different name from the same manufacturer.

As for my Llama, I would say is it far from being a piece of junk.
A Lorcin or Jennings is a piece of junk.
I have only put about 400 rounds through my Mini-max, but have yet to encounter any type of malfuntion. The accuracy is no less than that of my Colt Commander (yet a far cry from my Kimber, which is no surprise).

My one complaint with my Llama is that the shells eject straight back and will bean me on my forehead occasionally. This is why so few rounds have been put through it. I am confident it is the fault of the ejector, and will replace it soon.

Overall, I give Llama a thumbs up. Hopefully Firestorm will be as good. If you want something to brag about, by all means, get a Kimber... but for plinking, the Llama is hard to beat.

Rocklobster

Interesting.Gun Tests recently did tests on both the Llama and the Firestorm(same gun,different name stamped on the side)and both were given a "don't buy".

The Llama,in the cases when they could get it to feed a round,wouldn't hit on the paper.After disassembly,they discovered that the front of the slide,where the bushing fits,was .03" wider on one side than the other.

The Firestorm,during break-in,experienced numerous feed failures,then decided it didn't have enough energy to strike the primer hard enough to ignite it and fire the round any more.

If you want to let your life depend on that,OK.I wouldn't.

Kermit

Be AFRAID!
A shooting buddy bought one a few months ago.
"$200 out the door!" he said.
"Can't go wrong!" he said...
"Oh ****" he said as it went full auto after the 2nd mag. :eek:
DON'T Do it!

CZ Gunner

I shot at the range with a buddy of mine (last week) who had one of those POS guns ... had problem with every magazine he fired! FTI, FTE, etc. :(

The first time or two was okay ... by the end of the session, I had given him my favorite S&W to use .. it was that bad. :mad:

I refuse to shoot with him again until unless he uses another gun!

Bottom-line: DON'T DO IT!

BucksDC

Please save your money

I traded an SKS on a two tone full size NIB firestorm 45. It was the only half decent looking gun the dealer had to trade on the bunk SKS I was taking back to him. I should have taken my money back instead. Initially the firestorm feels good. Nice balance, hefty kind of nice. I thought I would try it. Big Mistake. The finish on the inside of the gun looks like it was done my monkeys. Very rough, burrs and unfinished dings. I shot 50 rnds thru it after I got it home and cleaned it up. The first fifty went thru flawlessly and hit exactly where I wanted them to. My next trip to the range (yes I cleaned it before hand) was a disaster. 3 rounds and a FTE, 3 rnds FTE and so on. Also had jams and misfeeds, with the same ammo I used the first time. Top of that the front sight almost fell off. Unless you have time to tinker with a cheap toy, dont waste your time. Imo, I not worth the hassle, and I don't think parts are standard 1911. If you don't like it, you will have a hard time trading it for any amount of money.
Good Luck