Firepower... (your review)

Hemicuda

I used your product (Blue Wonder) on 2 guns also... my Ruger MK I .22 (every bit as dirty as the Double-Nine used in the B.W. test)with the 5" barrel, and my Dan Wesson Mod 15-2HV.357 Magnum with a 6 inch barrel.

results - Also one VERY clean .22... (It took a bit longer than the Blue Wonder, but cleaned every bit as well... I just had to soak it a bit longer...) and a spotless Dan Wesson... (No fowling left, but it might not have had as much copper fowling as the Beretta... hard to say)

toxicity (sp) test - dab placed on arm a half hour ago... dot now dry, minor itching under the FP 10 spot... (worse than the Blue Wonder spot, but not by much!)

I also tested BP Novum's free sample... results on that in a different thread...

Ben Swenson

I tried the firepower sample as well.

Immediately after using it on a 1911, I noticed that the slide was sticking slightly. I've not traced the issue to the FP-10 and have no reason to suspect that it was the cause except for the coincidence in timing. Still, until I'm able to be sure of the cause, I'm not going to use this lube on that gun. Tonight I'm going to break it down, degrease it and find out what's going on. Oh, and FWIW, the function of the gun under normal conditions is not affected by the slight sticking ... it just bugs me ...

I also cleaned my Ruger MkII with FP-10 and was pleased by it. Cleaned it up nicely, lubed nicely and I've had no problems.

FP-10 seems to stay on metal better than Breakfree CLP, and I like that. It works great as a cleaner. I'm going to run some tests to check out how well it works to protect metal when I get the chance.

Decent stuff. I may start buying it for my rimfires.

Sam Adams

I just got my free sample of FP-10 this week (less than a week after requesting it). Having no dirty guns right now, I can't test it. I guess that I'll have to go out and make one or more really dirty ASAP. :D

Firepower

Thanks Guys, ;)

Hemi... glad to hear it is minor and that the FP-10 worked as we say it does. Hope your condition somehow gets better.

Cordex Try cycling that 1911 rigorously or take it out to the range and run a dozen or so through it. It should smooth like glass and have no slight sticking at all. Some guns (depending on what's been on them) may take a bit longer to fully react, but not much. Just the action of applying the FP-10 to the slide gibs and the frame rails and then cycling rapidly for 15-20 times should cause the FP-10 to form it's chemical boundary film. If there is a parkerized (black oxide) coating on the frame rails, it will need to wear off a bit to allow the FP-10 to get to the metal.

Sam Adams - Go get em, and please keep me posted of your findings. I love to hear every shooter's good results (or bad, if it ever happens).

Best regards,
George

Ben Swenson

Try cycling that 1911 rigorously or take it out to the range and run a dozen or so through it. It should smooth like glass and have no slight sticking at all. Some guns (depending on what's been on them) may take a bit longer to fully react, but not much. Just the action of applying the FP-10 to the slide gibs and the frame rails and then cycling rapidly for 15-20 times should cause the FP-10 to form it's chemical boundary film. If there is a parkerized (black oxide) coating on the frame rails, it will need to wear off a bit to allow the FP-10 to get to the metal.
Thanks for the advice.
First, it's not a new gun. I've got several thousand rounds through it and haven't had this problem before. I tore it down and I think that there is some buildup in the disconnector channel which is causing extra friction. I'm going to clean it out and maybe even polish the disconnector/slide contact surfaces a bit.
Another thing that would fix it is picking up a slightly stronger recoil spring.
After applying the FP-10 and noticing the sticking, I took it out shooting to see if it would affect performance. There wasn't a noticable issue. I don't know why the discon decided to start giving me trouble when it did (I didn't dump FP-10 or anything in the disconnector hole ...) but I guess it's just one of those strange coincidences. The FP-10 does lube well when the slide isn't catching on the disconnector.