firearms inscription

Carbon_15

My wife just recently told me that she is going to buy me a special pistol to celebrate the birth of our first son comeing up in about 4 weeks...beats the heck out of a cigar. Aparently its comencery to exchange gifts with a new birth. Thats news to me, guess I'll be hitting the jewlery stores soon.
The gun she has picked out for me is a very nice charcoal/fire blued w/ case hardened frame "first production" (the one with the pinched frame) 1873 Colt SAA reproduction from US Firearms Mfg. out of Hartford. She also wants to have and inscription engraved and silver wire inlayed (man, I found one with some SERIOUS good taste). What we were both wondering is what and where typical inscriptions are on guns celebrateing milestones or new stages of life. She is haveing my name inscribed on the backstrap and our sons birthday will be the custom serial number, but other than that, any ideas?

Rovert

My inclination is to shy away from anything that is personally identifiable, and go with something generalized, and 'artsy', like scroll, oak leaf, or other geometric patterns. If it so happens that you two can settle on a pattern that has personal significance to the both of you, or your family, then so be it. For instance, if you're Irish, perhaps tiny little shamrocks, or if you're Greek, the ever popular Greek key.

The reasoning here is that the act of making a gun more valuable to YOU by personalizing it with an inscription, at the very same time, makes it less personal to someone else, because your name will be on it, and not theirs.

That said... VERY tasteful choice. Sounds like an heirloom, if ever I heard of one. Ditto the question... does your wife have a sister? :D

Carbon_15

Thanks for the input so far.

Rovert...The only reason I wouldnt get a gun inscribed with something personal is like you said, it would make it less valuable to someone else. That is only a concern if I ever intend to sell it....not even an issue with this one. Like you said, its going to be an heirloom.

Rovert

C15, to each his own. I definitely understand the allure of having something absolutely specific, and there's the charm of your son saying 'yeah, this is my Dad's gun', and then another generation down the line... 'check out my Grandfather's gun...' on to 'this belonged to my Great-Grandfather'...

That said, how about a 'graffiti' gun... where each generation adds one symbol to the frame or slide, or to the cylinder or barrel, if it's a wheelgun.

For instance, a skilled machinist who knows his software could ask you to sign your name on a piece of paper. He could then use his computer to scan in your signature, clean it up, size it properly, and render it to a CAD file, which could then be passed along to CAM software to program a CNC milling machine, and using a VERY fine bit, to engrave your signature into the gun. Then, using silver or gold wire, tap the precious metal into the pattern.

Now, whatcha got is a TRUE 'family' gun where each generation can add his or her own unique, distinguishing, marks. It might give rise to a wonderful family tradition where, at the birth of the first child, you add your 'mark' to the gun. Hmmm... there might be some inuendo going on here... :D

Talk about putting another 'notch' in your belt buckle. :)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've always been partial to the inscription on a couple of Texas Ranger "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas' pistols: "God created all men equal. Sam Colt made them all the same size."

Generational birth dates, inscribed on the flutes of the cylinder, might be a possibility, when it's passed along.

Art

goodcatjack

I always wanted to do this! in calling around, though, I got wildly differing estimates (from $4 to $120) and I really never was comfortable with how those guys sounded. I told one of them that I had an H&K USP and he said, "Is that a revolver?" or the others were very young sounding, that sort of thing.

does anyone have any suggestions? all I want is to put an inscription of a short quote on the stainless in a relatively plain font.

Rovert

Goodcat, give me an Email or PM, and I might be able to offer some suggestions about how to inquire after whether or not the person you're dealing with is competent.

I'm branching out into this field myself, and hope to offer these kinds of services, but until I have a bit more time in to perfect my tecnique, I don't want to make any promises I can't keep.