Fiocchi USA Handgun Ammo T&E

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've always had good luck with Fiocchi. I've used the .357, the .45 and the 9mm. Never had a single issue and it shoots more accurately overall than any other "budget" ammo I have tried.

sm

I agree with the article; Fiocchi is great ammunition.

I have used Fiocchi forever, and highly recommend Fiocchi as I have done many times here on TFL and THR.
.32, .357, .38spl, 9mm and .45ACP .

Extends to shotgun ammunition in 12, 20, 28, 32, 24 gauges and .410 - Including reloading components.

Steve

BillCA

Good job. Fiocchi ammo since the early 90's has always been pretty clean stuff and decent with accuracy. The only reason I haven't used more of it is that it's harder to find locally than WWB or UMC.

That said, I just picked up 10 boxes of the .357 Mag JHP tested in the article so I'm glad to hear it's accurate. I did notice actual muzzle velocities didn't come close to the published velocites of 1420-1500 fps.

The downside, besides availability seems to be that their JHP designs remind me of those I used in the 70's. The water jug tests sort of bear that out and I'm not sure the expansion would be the same in ballistic gelatin.

Kreyzhorse

I've been told by my local gun dealer that Fiocchi makes a lot of the white box ammo for Winchester. I shot a lot of .40 S&W target rounds of each and other than being dirty, I've been pleased with performance.

Sarge

I don't know about the WWB connection, but I have heard similar theories about WWB/S&B. It's all good ammo.

There are several conversion factors for relating penetration in water, in various containers, to penetration in ballistic gelatin. “Friar Frog’s” page at http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscelln.htm opines that “bullet penetration in water is 1.8 times that of ballistic gelatin and in milk cartons somewhere generally around 1.5” Frog is pretty close on most things, and I suspect he has this down pretty well too.

I personally think penetration is a little less when you use plastic jugs, and my mind is comfortable with this simple statement: “Handgun bullets at typical velocities will penetrate a little deeper in water-filled one-gallon beverage jugs, than they will in gelatin. Using three of them provides ample resistance to recover most expanding handgun rounds, and the walls of each jug provide an additional stress factor as the bullets expand.”

A similar test involving several better-known .45 ACP loads is located here for a frame of reference.

I think the tested.357 JHP 'books' at 1400 fps, and it produced a shade over 1300 in the 6 1/2" Ruger. I didn't have a 7 1/2" or 8 3/8" sixgun handy but I think either would have gotten close to the published figure.

Glad y'all enjoyed this.

BillCA

Sgt,

The published figures on Fiocchi's website say the 148gr 357 kicks along at 1500fps. I suspect that's from a 7" un-vented test barrel though.

Somewhere in the last 25 years, some ammo makers have taken to publishing velocities out of 4" and 6" barrels (vented for revolver cartridges) to provide a more realistic performance expectation.

Have you tested any of the XTP rounds from Fiocchi yet?

Sarge

Bill,

Thanks for your input. I haven't tested the XTP-loaded Fiocchi ammo at this writing. I think it would supplant the current .45/200/JHP in fine style. The current 230/JHP seems to work pretty good as is, but I get the impression the XTPs are going to be available in a wide range of calibers/weights. If I wind up with some I'll run it through the same tests and post a link to the results.

hj28rules

Fiocchi is good stuff. When I can find it, I use it in all my autos: CZ83, CZ75B, Ruger 95 and my Para-Tac 4 .45ACP.