Fiocchi JHP "pistol shooting dynamics"

So, I was at a gunstore the other day and saw some 9mm 115gr Fiocchi JHP's for something like $16/50 rounds. They make an XTP HP and I assumed that was what I grabbed without opening the box... thinking I was getting a good deal on some XTP's. I was wrong.

Apparently they make a JHP load that is not using an XTP also. I should have looked closer because the box says if they are XTP's or not.

That said, does anyone know what this bullet is? I don't recognize it.

2011-04-24_15-35-05_428.jpg

8shot357

They are the older HPs, but they are known to run on the hotter side. I wouldn't lose sleep running them as long as they feed.

I have some 115g pistol shooting dynamics in FMJs, so it means nothing to do with the bullet.

Mobuck

Son got some of these for his 380 and found they don't expand or are inconsistant expansion. Suggest you try them if that's something you expect.

garryc

Son got some of these for his 380 and found they don't expand or are inconsistant expansion. Suggest you try them if that's something you expect.

That is nothing to judge by. 380's are far on the bottom side for reliable expansion with any ammo. Frankly, I may not want it to. Expansion is done at the expense of penetration and penetration rules.

WVsig

XTP is the name of the Hornady bullet design. There are two levels of JHP from Fiocchi. The standard line which the OP purchased and the premium line which used the XTP.

I have had good results with both. Neither is my primary choice but one of my go to dealers sells them at a good price.

carguychris

There are two levels of JHP from Fiocchi. The standard line which the OP purchased and the premium line which used the XTP.
+1; FYI the premium line is called "Extrema", whereas "Shooting Dynamics" is the basic line.

FWIW the 9mm Fiocchi Extrema XTP line is excellent ammo IMHO; it was near the top of the heap for velocity in a recent Gun Tests magazine article, but you can find it for $27-$32/50rds ($0.54-$0.66 a shot), whereas most competing premium self-defense ammo is sold in 20-25rd boxes for $18-$25 ($0.72-$1.25 a shot). Cheap price + good velocity + great bullet + (in my experience) mild muzzle flash = great stuff. :cool:

8shot357

Please, can you elaborate. Not that I'm saying your statement has no validity, but.....(I read it, so it's true)

Yeah its ok. I plan on testing them out vs water jugs to see how they expand and how much they penetrate.

I have to agree with the comment that fiocchi makes a quality loading. Their XTP loadings are a very economical way to test your carry load and carry with it. XTP's are an older technology but they are still good.

8shot357

Honestly, my first 7-8 shots (9mm) are Gold Dot 124g HP +Ps followed by 7-8 Fiocchi 115g +P+ FMJ Natos's in my CZ75B, I'm good.

Mobuck

My comparison of expansion or lack of was based on shooting 5 brands of .380 HP into water filled milk jugs. Since it was winter, that was about the only available media that I was familiar with. I don't represent this media as comparable to living flesh but it does allow a comparison of different bulllets relative this specific material.
Federal Hydrashock seems to be the best expansion and provides penetration up to 2 milk jugs. I don't regurgitate internet foolishness.

.380 is a marginal caliber for JHP's IMO. Even in my 9x18, the only JHP's I carry are the Silver Bear 115gr load that they discontinued, but penetrated very well compared to other JHP's in that caliber.

I would rather have no expansion than not enough penetration.

Mobuck

I follow a different approach to the penetration/expansion dilema. Yes, there is good logic that indicates deep penetration of the body cavity may produce a quicker bleedout. Has anyone considered that the hit might not be in the upper body, but in the arm, leg, or gut? How many of you have seen a nonexpanding bullet wound that literally punched through leaving a little purple hole with little bleeding? How many have even seen a bullet wound? A quick expanding bullet that tears a jagged hole in flesh and destroys nerves and blood vessels will be more likely to disable an attacker than the nonexpanding punch through.
If you question this idea, ask a soldier who has had to use it what he thinks of the 9mm FMJ wounding capability.